PDA

View Full Version : why no render edges with new ortho camera?

Archigram
02-17-2007, 05:41 AM
Can anyone tell me why the new ortho camera won't render edges? My whole reason for buying LW9 was that a fake isometric view (very high zoom) made render edges very buggy. I was assuming that the real ortho camera would fix that, but instead it simply avoids the problem altogether. (It also doesn't render quickshade or wireframe.)

I am using an intel Mac. To use any of the available isometric camera plug-ins I would need to buy Windows and an emulator program. Is it worth the money--will this solve my problem?

Many thanks.

Sensei
02-17-2007, 06:43 AM
New LW9 cameras are using ray-tracing instead of Classic Camera scan-line (post-effect).. And rays can not hit edge which has no volume and is infinite thin.. For the same reason splines are not drawn and you have to use TrueHair or other plug-ins that add thickness and render them..

Archigram
02-17-2007, 07:28 AM
Thank you Sensei. Do you know if TrueHair or EasySpline or another plug-in will thicken straight lines reliably--like a CAD drawing? I will try to attach an image that gives an idea of what I'm after (it is actually drawn 2-D in Illustrator but I have built a 3-D version).

cresshead
02-17-2007, 07:29 AM
yeah you'll have to find another way to make 'edges' if you use those camera's
one way is to post proccess your images to obtain a toon edge...annoying i know!

...have you tried the unreal shader?

cresshead
02-17-2007, 07:59 AM
unreal shader works with ortho and perspective and advanced cameras...
so you can get rendered edge lines back in those cameras but can't use the lightwave edge tab in those cameras.

cresshead
02-17-2007, 08:06 AM
see attatched pik.

http://www.cresshead.com/wip/edges_with_unreal_persp_ortho_cam.jpg

Archigram
02-17-2007, 08:22 AM
Thanks, I have used Unreal and gotten decent results, but they haven't updated for Mac since LW7. Which means I'm back to my fake iso camera. Again, I may have to bite the bullet and go Windows. It just seems annoying that a straightforward line render is so difficult to acheive.

Sensei
02-17-2007, 08:45 AM
Thank you Sensei. Do you know if TrueHair or EasySpline or another plug-in will thicken straight lines reliably--like a CAD drawing? I will try to attach an image that gives an idea of what I'm after (it is actually drawn 2-D in Illustrator but I have built a 3-D version).

Yes, EasySpline has tool that converts selected polygon's edges to 2 point splines, and TrueHair can render them.. Thickness is controlled by constant variable, envelope, regular texture & special node editor.. But TrueHair Mac version has not been done yet (but will, there are few pre-orders from Mac owners already)..