PDA

View Full Version : 3D Paint Software

optikanet
02-15-2007, 04:20 AM
Hello,

I'm thinking of purchasing some 3D Paint software for use in texturing Lightwave 3D 9 models.

Can anybody suggest which of the various commercial packages best integrates with Lightwave 3D 9?

Kind Regards
Dave

lilrayray77
02-15-2007, 06:37 AM
Or you could go the cheaper route and purchase Zbrush, which has painting and sculpting. Handling models is sometimes a bit more tricky, but it works pretty well.

Captain Obvious
02-15-2007, 10:46 AM
Keep in mind that modo will get displacement "painting" (kind of like Mudbox) in a future release. Nobody knows when, though.

tonybliss
02-15-2007, 12:38 PM
modo ... modo ... modo .... hmmm!!

At best i am considering bodypaint 3.

Steve McRae
02-15-2007, 02:03 PM
yeah - modo works pretty good - great UV unwrap as well =)

jasonwestmas
02-15-2007, 02:53 PM
*Zbrush 2 infomercial*

Buy Zbrush 2.0 now and get your update to 2.5 free. 2.5 will have projection painting in real time and a whole ton more. The best bang for the buck in my opinion if you want to make organic models, but that's not all, Zbrush 2.5 is coming soon to a server near you!

Oh, and it will be 64 bit as well as 32 bit.

AbnRanger
02-16-2007, 02:15 AM
Yeah, Deep Paint 3D is even worse...it's a nice piece of software, but I wish they would offer a decent video tutorial or two, helping new users quickly get up and running with it. Sort of like Zbrush or BodyPaint 3D...no shortage of tutorials with them.
They say they are going to release an update or upgrade "soon" as well...we'll see.

Dodgy
02-16-2007, 02:57 AM
There was a mention of 2.5 when they announced the 64 bit version. It seems they're going to announce in less than a month something about 2.5... My guess is that they're a year away and to go get mudbox :)

Speaking as a 2 owner I wish they'd get the darn thing out!

jasonwestmas
02-16-2007, 08:03 AM
LOL, they've been promising ZBrush 2.5 "soon" for the last two years. It's almost classifiable as vaporware.

But I think Mudbox is good for some competition, as now they (Pixologic) have to pull their fingers out of whereever they're stuck.

Not that I don't think that ZB 2.5 will be awesome, it most certainly will. The feature set looks extremely promising. Much more so than Mudbox.

Yeah, it's been quite the joke how long it's been taking; PIXO must be givin Z a major face lift. It is true like Dodgy said, that there was a recent announcement a couple of days ago that 2.5 will be out soon and will be 64 bit. It will be a competative set of features and not just vapor, I'm pretty positive on that. I started using ZB back when it was v.5 and was only a 2.5D paint program. ZB was around $150 if you bought it before v1.0 came out. Each update after that was pretty amazing. I never imagined what it would turn into, so I guess I can only imagine the jump from 2 to 2.5.

Elmar Moelzer
02-16-2007, 11:17 AM
Until all those packages come out or dont and maybe to get a little taste of how painting on a 3d object feels like (personally it felt kinda odd to me when I tried it and not like I expected it to be),you can give UV Chalk a try. It is not as sophisticated as Modo, Zbrush, etc, but it works directly in LW and best of all, it is free!
http://www.flay.com/GetDetail.cfm?ID=2069
CU
Elmar

borkus
02-16-2007, 07:49 PM
elmar, that's quite the little weapon you've come across. the site in general had a bunch of stuff. go to flay often and must've missed it somehow. thanks for the heads up. not quite as powerful as zbrush's "perposed" painting ability. but i have it "now" and it was free, both of which are a plus.

CMT
02-16-2007, 09:31 PM
I never imagined what it would turn into, so I guess I can only imagine the jump from 2 to 2.5.

They said it was going to be a bigger "forward leap" for this point release than it was for any previous version. My guess is that there will be a few more added features than what's been advertised in the videos shown since those videos have been out for quite a while with plenty of testing time. Just a guess though.

I use ZBrush a lot for illustration so I hope they've modified the rendering engine to be a bit more versatile. It can create some really exceptional renders, but has some limitations for lighting and materials.

t4d
02-16-2007, 09:36 PM
modo really gave me what i needed and always wanted in 3D paint

I also used Zbrush before 201 was release Zbrush has goodness But that interface is easy to forget so workflow doesn't come easy I much prefer Modo
and the modeling toolset adds to it's joy,

( I emailed Zbrush with all info and still have not got a win 64 download ... the waiting for Zbrush 2.5 is turning into a Bad joke )

Bodypaint I have not tried.

CMT
02-16-2007, 09:49 PM
I tried Bodypaint when version 2 came out. I had a much harder time learning it than ZBrush. I liked that you could paint in several "channels" at once, but the interface just seemed overly complicated.

I haven't tried Modo yet. But I will soon.

jasonwestmas
02-17-2007, 09:43 AM
Yeah, it's funny, when I first used the full 3D version of ZBrush v1.5 I really thought it was an awkward program, after a while it just came to me naturally so picking up ZB2 was a walk in the park. It was the same going from animation master to lightwave to max to maya to motion builder then just recently to XSI. XSI is still awkward yet ;) It just comes down to making the hot keys and menus/buttons work the way you feel comfortable, which can be a real pain to setup but necessary. Of course I know you guys already realize that.

Also, I'm primarily speaking as a modeler and rigger so you know. . .

tonybliss
02-17-2007, 10:53 AM
I have a choice between zbrush and bodypaint ... which you guys recommend??
Can you paint 3d texture maps in ZBrush as in Bodypaint 3 ???

cresshead
02-17-2007, 11:27 AM
you'll have to add in adobe photoshop cs3 pro..that has a open gl canvas to paint on 3d imported models as well.

jasonwestmas
02-17-2007, 11:27 AM
I have a choice between zbrush and bodypaint ... which you guys recommend??
Can you paint 3d texture maps in ZBrush as in Bodypaint 3 ???

*Zbrush Infomercial*

Yes. You can do that and more! For example: sculpt with geometry is possible in ZB, not just painting on geometry.

Body paint allows you to paint in real time where in Zbrush's projection master plugin you must first 'drop' the geometry, paint on it then 'pick it up' which slows things down a little. Real time painting on your model will be a new feature within ZB2.5.

Thanks for your interest. ;)

radams
02-17-2007, 11:29 AM
you'll have to add in adobe photoshop cs3 pro..that has a open gl canvas to paint on 3d imported models as well.

Hi Cresshead...where did you get this info...do you know what formats it supports etc...

Cheers,

cresshead
02-17-2007, 11:31 AM
was on a news channel feed...i think was on cgtalk also

cresshead
02-17-2007, 11:36 AM
note there appears to be 2 versions of cs3 photoshop...
there's a beta available from adobe on the standard version
the pro version...well not seen any screen grabs as yet but it's surposed to import 3d models for painting.

radams
02-17-2007, 11:39 AM
I've heard nothing about this pro version...Hmm...
Time to start shaking some trees...and see what falls out ;)

Thanks for the heads up...

Cheers,

tonybliss
02-17-2007, 11:43 AM
thanks guys ... will invest in zbrush ... 2 in one can't go wrong
cs3 ... mmmmm!!

Carm3D
02-17-2007, 11:54 AM
I downloaded the ZBrush demo. After watching a handful of tutorials, the kooky interface started to make sense. I'm sold.

It would be better of course if it had layers, but what I'm thinking I can do is paint my details one at a time in black and white and use them as layer masks in Paint Shop Pro for compositing together a colour map. Then I can just swap it out with another image and paint a specular map, etc.

I'm gonna buy ZBrush on Wednesday or so.. Can't wait! :)

tonybliss
02-17-2007, 12:23 PM
yes me too can't wait
... 2.5 will have layers ... and realtime painting ... just check it out

http://www.pixologic.com/zbrush/25/25.php

tonybliss
02-17-2007, 12:40 PM
I may buy it from kurv, better full deal there
http://www.kurvstudios.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=83048200321006&Category_Code=pixologic

tonybliss
02-17-2007, 12:52 PM
cs3 info
http://www.thinksecret.com/news/0508adobe.html
http://www.photoshoproadmap.com/Photoshop-blog/2007/02/06/add-a-third-dimension-to-your-photos-3d-plugins-for-photoshop/

tonybliss
02-17-2007, 12:54 PM
ok back to work now :)

Carm3D
02-17-2007, 12:56 PM
Wowzers.... Mesh extraction = impressive!!

RedBull
02-18-2007, 02:33 PM
Hello,

I'm thinking of purchasing some 3D Paint software for use in texturing Lightwave 3D 9 models.

Can anybody suggest which of the various commercial packages best integrates with Lightwave 3D 9?

Kind Regards
Dave

As mentioned Bodypaint3 or Modo 202 are the only real choices, Modo is quite limited for colour etc, and Bodypaint is slightly better as a 3D painter overall.
But as mentioned Modo does basic painting, with a slew of other goodies as well.

Forget Zbrush or MudBox these are for displacement painting, and not just image map painting.

tonybliss
02-18-2007, 02:46 PM
mmmm Bodypaint - 716 @ kurv for a afaik great 3d painter, Zbrush 2 - 519(f) for an excellent disp scult toolset that promises a versatile painter in 2.5 (god knows when)

I may go with zbrush for this reason as my art form now requires the use of sculpt tools for detail; i will hold out with PS and plg for now until zbrush 2.5 ..
can't be that long.. i hope

Dodgy
02-18-2007, 02:47 PM
Zbrush can do image painting as well though, and some of my friends turn out very nice work with it.

cresshead
02-18-2007, 03:22 PM
eah i'd edge on the side of z brush..
zbrush is featured in nr all heavy special fx films so has a great respect with large studios for sculpting and painting.

jasonwestmas
02-18-2007, 07:14 PM
You really can create any kind of map you need within Zbrush2. The quality of these maps are relatively high depending on your skill level and knowledge of the software and knowing how to work around those current limitations. The implementation of these kinds of surface/material maps are of course in the process of being improved upon for the 2.5 release.

CMT
02-19-2007, 09:00 AM
Don't forget that the displacementmaps that you create with ZB can be used to help create other detailed texture maps.

Also, for those who are interested, there's also a way I found to use the cavity material settings to add the cavity effect to your color map in ZB. By rendering an angle in ZB of the model with the cavity setting (and your color map applied already) and exporting the render as an image. Then without rotating the view, "drop" the model to Projection Master and then use ZappLink (to Photoshop with shaded layer enabled). Load the cavity render and paste directly over the ZappLinked image. Erase where you don't want the effect to appear. Save. Exit ZappLink- and "pick up" your model from PM and the cavity is applied to that angle. Just do it for each angle you need it on. Cavity effect on your model in just a couple minutes!

Carm3D
02-19-2007, 10:06 AM
I'm planning on buying it on Wednesday or so.. Can't wait! :)

UnCommonGrafx
02-19-2007, 10:34 AM
If I didn't own it I would buy ZB NOW because I'm sure they will raise the price when 2.5 comes about. Substantially. Or, better said, "If I were them, I would raise the price for those new to the program." ;)

When 2.5 hits the market there will be quite a tide of buyers who have been on the fence about ZB. Personally, the quirkiness of the interface has made it quite dear to my heart. I'm weird that way. :)

You will love it, Carm.

Carm3D
02-19-2007, 10:41 AM
I downloaded the demo and watch a bunch of tutorial videos.. It took me a day or so to finally click with the interface.

jasonwestmas
02-19-2007, 11:18 AM
Don't forget that the displacementmaps that you create with ZB can be used to help create other detailed texture maps.

Also, for those who are interested, there's also a way I found to use the cavity material settings to add the cavity effect to your color map in ZB. By rendering an angle in ZB of the model with the cavity setting (and your color map applied already) and exporting the render as an image. Then without rotating the view, "drop" the model to Projection Master and then use ZappLink (to Photoshop with shaded layer enabled). Load the cavity render and paste directly over the ZappLinked image. Erase where you don't want the effect to appear. Save. Exit ZappLink- and "pick up" your model from PM and the cavity is applied to that angle. Just do it for each angle you need it on. Cavity effect on your model in just a couple minutes!

Zapplink Rocks!

CMT
02-19-2007, 12:11 PM
Also, for those who are interested, there's also a way I found to use the cavity material settings to add the cavity effect to your color map in ZB.....

I forgot to mention that before you render the model with the cavity material, you need to turn shadows off first or the shadow will be present in the image you export. Then your shadow will become part of the color map. Don't want that!

Zapplink Rocks!

Ho Yeah!

CaptCarty
02-20-2007, 01:30 PM
bump