PDA

View Full Version : Current 9.2 beta and upcoming UB Beta

frostywd
02-15-2007, 01:00 AM
Chilton,

I have read parts of my question in other threads but I just wanted to clear something up .... at least for myself !!!!:help:

I know that both versions will (should) have the same features but I'm confused about one thing. Wouldn't (shouldn't?) the 9.2 version (not UB) be discontinued once the UB is released? Is there a point to having two versions around if the UB is as stable and as Mac-o-lishous as we expect it to be?

I know that we're starting from ground zero for plug-in's with the UB and that alone would warrant keeping the the regular 9.2 version around but I thought I would ask.

Also, the UB will carry the same version numbers (9.2) when released.

Sorry for the silly questions. It's late.

Thanks!

Kuzey
02-15-2007, 10:08 AM
I do believe they are going to use the non UB version as a control base for testing and fixing bugs in the UB version....something like that :D

Kuzey

mwh710
02-15-2007, 06:16 PM
I downloaded & installed new Beta version, but it came up in Discovery mode. Tried to register it, but keep getting this:

Server Error in '/' Application.
Input string was not in a correct format.
Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.FormatException: Input string was not in a correct format.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[FormatException: Input string was not in a correct format.]
System.Number.ParseInt32(String s, NumberStyles style, NumberFormatInfo info) +0
System.Convert.ToInt32(String value) +47
Default.Default.RegisterClick(Object sender, EventArgs e)
System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e) +108
System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.System.Web.UI.IPo stBackEventHandler.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument) +58
System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(IPostBackEve ntHandler sourceControl, String eventArgument) +18
System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(NameValueCol lection postData) +33
System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain() +1292

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:1.1.4322.2032; ASP.NET Version:1.1.4322.2032

I would really like to see if this is any more stable than 9.0

help anyone?

Darth Mole
02-16-2007, 01:35 AM
You should really be posting this information in the Open Beta forums (or mail Chilton directly). Read the contract!

mwh710
02-16-2007, 09:39 AM
You should really be posting this information in the Open Beta forums (or mail Chilton directly). Read the contract!

Sorry, I put it in 9 forum

3dworks
02-17-2007, 04:07 AM
Sorry, I put it in 9 forum

have a look here, maybe this helps:

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63619

markus

osglith
02-17-2007, 12:06 PM
I had the same problem with 9.2 beta on my MacTel. I just called and they gave me my number to knock it out of Discovery mode. However, the code seems to have expired after ONE day. (grrrr) I'll have to call back on Monday. The one night of rendering DID improve my render speed.

Now for my big question. I kept running out of RAM for my render. (Trying to render an 8100 x 12000 pixel frame with 400+ thousand polys for a "movie" poster sized print image. It was really ticking me off. I have a MacPro with 4gigs of RAM. I was about to install 4 more Gigs when I was talking to a Tech support guy. He told me that since LW is a 32bit app it won't use any more than 2Gb of RAM - EVER. So having a UB version is important to me, but not nearly as important as having a 64bit UB Mac version.

Anybody hear if/when this will happen????

Chilton
02-17-2007, 12:34 PM
It (64 bit UB) will happen. When it will happen will largely depend on when Leopard ships, and when we finish the UB version.

-Chilton

amigo
02-18-2007, 07:47 AM
Didn't Apple say they are on track and Leopard would be released in March/April.

So March then for 64bit UB, eh Chilton? :D

RonGC
02-18-2007, 08:49 AM
i wouldn't be in to much of a hurry to discard 32bit version. At least until the Mac plugins get ported over to UB.
You know, little ones like Vertibevel, LWcad etc.

Ron

amigo
02-19-2007, 08:59 AM
Hehe, I'm just trying to provoke an answer from Chilton, but I should know better he won't budge :)

dsol
02-19-2007, 10:31 AM
I was talking to a Tech support guy. He told me that since LW is a 32bit app it won't use any more than 2Gb of RAM - EVER. So having a UB version is important to me, but not nearly as important as having a 64bit UB Mac version.

The 32-bit OS X version of LW seems to be able to address slightly more RAM than it's 32-bit windows cousin - I can definitely render higher poly scenes on my G5 than my athlon 64 (running Windows XP - not XP64). In theory 32-bit OS's can allocate up to 4GB per process - the 2GB limit is an artificial constraint put in by microsoft (though some space is reserved by device drivers and other system devices).

On a MacTel however, the memory limitation may be due to the fact it's running in emulation - and IIRC rosetta (the PPC emulator in Intel OSX) has limits on memory usage - 2GB I think ;)

If you can get hold of a 64-bit version of XP or vista you may be able to run it on your mactel under bootcamp (assuming you have Core2 or Xeon cpus with the EMT-64 extensions) then run Windows LW64.

Alternatively, you could try using Renderfarm Commander to render the image in segments.

Hope this helps!

avkills
02-19-2007, 12:16 PM
I can verify that the PPC version of LW can use 4GB of RAM under OS X.

-mark