PDA

View Full Version : How? Metalic Liquid

Csion
02-14-2007, 10:23 PM
how can i replicate the gold liquid in this image?
i tried displacements.

-JC

DiedonD
02-15-2007, 12:44 AM
It looks like its a morphing thing then. Add a mesh of considerable polys, for greater detail. And make a morph of the dollar sign. You'll use displacements only for the circling wavy things around it. And just Morph Mix it, and you should be alright. This way only applies if the dollar sign isnt completely seperated from the liquid inside. And you can make it the toher way around awell.

Csion
02-15-2007, 08:03 PM
My bad I failed to mention that my goal is the gold liquid and my attempt is the silver one.

i have to make something like the gold one but with a website logo enveloped in silver.

im finding it difficult to create that silky smooth look of the first image. ill probally have to animate it too.

-JCanuet

connerh
02-15-2007, 08:06 PM
Have you tried ClothFX?

lwaddict
02-15-2007, 08:22 PM
Simpler...
have you tried animating a high poly plane in black and white,
then making the logo in black and white,
editing them together in an NLE (so you won't have the waves affecting the logo, have the logo place on the waves and lighten the wave layer to around 75%, maybe even 50%)...
render it out.

Take the render and apply it, in Lightwave, to another high poly mesh as a displacement sequence...ta dah.

You'd be surprised what you can do with displacements and 2d black and white animations.

I know, I know...this trick is old school.
But sometimes, the best way is the oldest way.

Hope this helps.

Csion
02-15-2007, 11:02 PM
Thanks for the ideas!

heres a closeup of what i have to duplicate. what type of clothfx settings would make those kind of overlaping ripples?

-JCanuet

lwaddict
02-16-2007, 06:36 AM
Looks like RealFlow to me.

dpont
02-16-2007, 11:56 AM
Not exactly overlaping ripples, WavyWater Texture used
in displacement and animated:

Denis.

Csion
02-16-2007, 07:20 PM
Ive never heard of RealFlow...?

That wavywater texture looks pretty good...its not in my texture dropdown though?

-JCanuet

cagey5
02-17-2007, 01:24 AM
RealFlow is a commercial program for generating liquid effects. Expensive and difficult to set-up [I believe, never used it myself] Used by studios who have to get a certain effect to get the job done so the price is immaterial.

wavywater is one of an impressive range of dpont's own plug-ins that work with procedurals for some amazing effects. Find them here...
http://perso.orange.fr/dpont/plugins/Textures.htm

toby
02-17-2007, 12:00 PM
Thanks for the ideas!

heres a closeup of what i have to duplicate. what type of clothfx settings would make those kind of overlaping ripples?

-JCanuet
Lightwave needs fluid simulation! You can only go so far with particles/HV or displacement textures.

You might be able to do the overlapping using clothFX with hypervoxels applied to the mesh, or you could calculate a fluid-sim in Blender (free download) and transfer it to LW. Doesn't look very easy or fast though -