PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Bevel Fonts Arrrgh! Confused

blueshift
02-14-2007, 08:38 PM
Being new to this forum and somewhat new to LightWave, I don't know if this is the right place to post this question or find an answer but here goes.

Iv'e loaded some postscript fonts into modeler with the settings suggested in Dan Ablans book "Inside LightWave 8" then extruded in, made sure all normals were pointing outward then tried to bevel but no matter how small a bevel I attempted it overlapped polys and caused the normals to point every which way.

I tried importing again backing off from fine to standard then course but no joy.When I looked over the doc's on the EPFS loader the only answer I could glean from that was "Most postscript fonts need some cleanup before use."

How would I do that if I don't have Illustrater ? If someone could point me in the direction of a tutorial or a thread on the forum about this it would be greatly appreciated.

Beaker
02-14-2007, 09:05 PM
You can clean up the font in Modeler by deleting some of the points in the text before you Extrude it, so the points aren't so close together. The closer together points are, the more likely you're going to get polygons overlapping when you do the bevel.

Another thing you can do is to move points around after the Bevel and Merge or Weld some points together to clean it up after the fact. Just be sure to check for 2-point polygons after if you try this method.

RudySchneider
02-14-2007, 09:09 PM
You might consider using the forum Search tool. I happen to remember seeing a post similar to yours, concerning bevel "issues," and found it via Search:

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63059&highlight=bevel

blueshift
02-14-2007, 09:55 PM
Thanks Beaker I'll give your suggestions a try.

Thanks Rudy ( I did try a search with "bevel text" as the search words but got 0 results) Iguess I' ll have to try some other search words.

Thanks Again.

THREEL
02-14-2007, 10:03 PM
Honestly, I've never had much luck with text in modeler myself. Therefore, most of the time, I'll bring in the font I want, type in the required text, place it in a background layer, and build the text myself, using the background text for reference. The only thing is, I should put these letters that I've built into their own little folder, so I can have easy access to them for future work.

I hope there is a better solution, but I've yet to find one.

Happy Days!!!:)

tHREEL, but you can call me AL.

don_culbertson
02-14-2007, 11:06 PM
Sanserif typefaces such as Arial Black and Impact tend to work best with beveling. On the other hand, serif typefaces such as Times New Roman, tend to be difficult. If you are really interested in doing 3D type in lightwave, I found these videos to be helpful (although kind of expensive).

http://desktopimages.com/DI2098.shtml

blueshift
02-15-2007, 02:36 AM
Being as I have been a sparse user of the forum, and I'm just lerning it I searched the faq's rather than the forum (DOH!!!). When I searched the forum I found quite a few posts on the subject. :foreheads Thanks Rudy! One rmedy I decided to try was to upgrade my copy of 3D Invigorator for Affter Affects by Zaxwerks to the Pro version. Import and Export to and from LightWave. I guess I have more money than sense. I'll try to get back to this thread and tell you how it went if it does'nt take me 3 months to come to grips with this program.