PDA

View Full Version : Where do I put a displacement map in LW9?

Rectro
02-14-2007, 12:33 PM
After hours and hours or searching and trying all kinds of methods I cant add a displacment map.

I just made a simple ball in Zbrush and made a displacement as normal like I would for XSI, MAX, Poser e.c.t.

Questions is where do I add the map and how do I set it up?

Surrealist.
02-14-2007, 12:47 PM
Open up the node editor from the surface panel of that surface and add a normalmap node, load the image into the node and plug the output into the normal input of the surface.

There is a video on this page that addresses z brush normal maps:

http://www.newtek.com/lightwave/videos.php

Rectro
02-14-2007, 12:48 PM
Iv done normal maps and that works fine but I want displacment maps so it deforms the geomatry.

Rectro
02-14-2007, 12:53 PM
Thanks I found the video will follow and report back.

Surrealist.
02-14-2007, 01:11 PM
Forgive me, I had it part wrong, but the video is correct. :)

Also check out the other displacement videos for ways to do it in the surface editor. You plug a node - such as an image node - into the displacement input of the surface. You can also have it displace based on the normal. Check the videos for the configuration.

Also a quick tip, if you use an image map make sure and turn off mip mapping or it wont work.

And don't forget to enable bump on the object properties tab and give it a value.

Rectro
02-14-2007, 01:50 PM
Well I tryed the one that is for zbrush, the video results look great.
If someone could be so kind as to try it out as iv have followed it perfectly and its not working. The subpatch does not seem to be doing nothink?

The video link is here:

ftp://ftp.newtek.com/pub/LightWave/LW9/zbrush-nodes-aps.mov

The Link for the exact file used in the video is here:

http://206.145.80.239/zbc/zb_memberdownload.php?getfile=DispTestHead_TIFNG.z ip

Rectro
02-14-2007, 02:25 PM
The Subpach is not working! is this a Demo limitation?

Rectro
02-14-2007, 02:38 PM
As you can see in image the display subpatch is way high enougth to preview the displacment.

http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/8232/subpatchcq2.jpg

Surrealist.
02-14-2007, 03:02 PM
Did you load up the scene file? You might try that and study it.

By loading up the scene and doing nothing I got this:

Surrealist.
02-14-2007, 03:05 PM
While you are doing that a little fun I was haning the other day to use a gradient and image map as a way to displace a cylinder in both form and relief.

Rectro
02-14-2007, 03:08 PM
Did you load up the scene file? You might try that and study it.

By loading up the scene and doing nothing I got this:

There is no scene file, Just the movie, displacement map and video.

Surrealist.
02-14-2007, 03:19 PM
Did you down load the content?

The scene is in the content that you downloaded to get the head only under scenes. It is under Scenes/Zbrush Displacement or something along those lines. The image is under images/Zbrush.... object under objects/Zbrush...

I just checked the content I downloaded with the trial to be shure and it is there.

Then when it says it can't find it you have to direct it to the place that you saved it on your harddrive.

You can set the contect directory to that folder to make it easier under Edit/Set Content directory.

Rectro
02-14-2007, 03:21 PM
Thankyou, you have been a great help. Il get back and tell what I did wrong.

That vase looks cool, very clever that gradiant function.

Giacomo99
02-14-2007, 03:31 PM
Hello-

I'm not sure if this is relevant to the current discussion, but: using an image node for displacement ONLY works if you have "MipMapping" turned OFF for the image.

Sign me one who learned it the hard way.

Surrealist.
02-14-2007, 03:38 PM
Not aproblem and thanks, it was kind of a brainstorm to see if I could get curve-type data to a displacement map and alas the gradient was the ticket. A little limited but it was fun to see it work interactively. I am sure this is really just the tip of the iceburg as far as what could be done with this kind of thing. There are many better ways to make such an object of course but this was just an experiement to see what I could do with the profile of an object using a controlled and interactive curve-like fuction to a displacement map.

Surrealist.
02-14-2007, 03:39 PM
Hey, yeah, it was your thread I think where I got the info and I mentioned it above - so thanks! :)

Rectro
02-14-2007, 03:57 PM
Well as you said the scene file worked. The original model displacement map didnt work with the scene file. I loaded the displacment from the original model that come direct from zbrush forum and the displacment is different.
Also it would seem that the mesh was modified that came with the LW content so somthink was done that wasnt covered in that video.

Iv come to the conclusion that the models would have to be converted in modler to a subpatch mesh. I use the exsamlple from the video but my own mesh and displacment from zbrush, one that works fine in XSI, MAX, Poser and in zbrush it self fine. It fails to work in LW9. Im still non the wiser how to apply a displacment in LW9. My initial setup was spot on to the video.

I will check the displacment maps out tomorrow.

Surrealist.
02-14-2007, 07:29 PM
Sorry to hear that. Good luck tomorrow.

Rectro
02-16-2007, 05:26 AM
Do I actualy have to subpatch every sinlge modle I have in order to use displacments in LW? The reason non of my models are showing any displacment is that LW isnt sub deviding my mesh. The Zbrush mesh in the demo has been modified, I asume subpatched.

As im using the demo version I cant even try it out as layout and modler dont work together or save out any files? I must say this is the longest iv ever spent on any application trying to achive such a simple thing.

Surrealist.
02-16-2007, 09:11 AM
The trial version is good for 30 days and is fully funtional with all save options. If you are in "discovery mode" that means you have yet to register it and enter a licence key. Also it will alow you to switch between modeler and Layout but that is disabled in Disc Mode.

Subpatching is necessary to get displacement. Yes, you have to subpatch every model. (Sorry I did not understand "modified" before or I would have addressed that) There is a new "G Toggle Subpatch" in 9.0 For layout unbder modeler tools but it only seems to work on opbejects created in Layout. They are working to gradually port more of the modeling tools to layout.

And A tip, for dsiplacement, use ragular subpatch, not Catmull-clark.

Rectro
02-17-2007, 06:08 AM
Thanks. Iv been running this program in discovery mode thinking this was the trial. lol