PDA

View Full Version : RPF missing in Lightwave 9 export formats?

joeldberry
02-13-2007, 09:58 PM
I use Combustion very frequently with the .rpf (Autodesk's Rich Pixel Format) format from Lightwave for various 3d aspects of an animation render. I however have been unable to find it in my render globals file format options... there are plenty of .RLA formats, but what gives? Where did .rpf go? Am I just overlooking it?

Thanks,

jdb

ivanze
02-14-2007, 10:40 AM
I think it is in the Image Proccesing Panel/Add Image Filter.

___mats___
02-14-2007, 11:05 AM
Yes, its there,

just do not expect it to work over screamernet, it does not, since it is loaded as an "image filter" (strange uh? that a format saver is a now a "filter"?)

If it would be properly placed under the image formats then it would work just fine.

Anyway, I have not been able to use this, since I render with mac/pC render nodes and the path gets screwed up because of this reason

Hopefully in the next release they will release it as an "IMAGE SAVER" which is actually what it is

thanks

WShawn
02-15-2007, 12:25 PM
Yes, its there,

just do not expect it to work over screamernet, it does not, since it is loaded as an "image filter" (strange uh? that a format saver is a now a "filter"?)

If it would be properly placed under the image formats then it would work just fine.

Anyway, I have not been able to use this, since I render with mac/pC render nodes and the path gets screwed up because of this reason

Hopefully in the next release they will release it as an "IMAGE SAVER" which is actually what it is

thanks

Hi:

I've had no problems rendering out an RPF sequence using a Screamernet controlled by Renderfarm Commander. The RPF sequence is rendered out in addition to the "basic" image sequence you set up in the Output tab of the Render Globals.

Just bring up the Image Processing window and add the Extended RPF Export filter under the Add Image Filter tab. Double click the filter name in the list or click Edit to open up the options. Check off the data you want to export then click the Image Base Name button. This brings up a file requester in which you can create a folder for your sequence and give the RPF images a file name.

Then go to the Output tab of the Render Globals and create a file path for a "basic" (Targa, Tiff, Psd) image sequence as you normally would. For Renderfarm Commander to work it has to have this output set up, or else it can't keep track of what frames have been rendered.

Set up your Screamernet, either manually or with RFC, and launch. Each time each CPU renders a frame, the "basic" frame will be saved to the folder set up in the Render Globals and the RPF frame will go to the folder you set up in the RPF Export filter.

You end up with two copies of the same sequence, but that shouldn't be a big deal. Also, you have to be a little careful with the RPF sequence. Every time a frame from the scene is rendered, using F9 or whatever, it will write or overwrite into the folder set up in the RPF Export filter, as long as that filter is checked on. I will often save a new copy of a scene as an iteration to set up new camera angles or whatever. I'll adjust the camera, then hit F9 to check it out, forgetting that the RPF Export is set to write frames into the sequence of the previous iteration of the scene, so I've now overwritten the wrong frame into my previously finished sequence. So I have to be sure to turn off the RPF Export filter before rendering any frames, because it will write out that frame regardless.

Shawn Marshall
Marshall Arts Motion Graphics

___mats___
02-15-2007, 12:53 PM
Shawn -

Thanks for the note, do you work with Mac/PC nodes? or mac exclusively?

Thanks -

WShawn
02-15-2007, 01:31 PM
Just Macs. I work on a dual 2.5 Ghz G5. For our network renders we'll add our dual 1.2 GHz G4, a dual 1.0 Ghz G4 and our 1Ghz ibook for 7 CPUs total.

Renderfarm Commander is great. It makes it really easy to add or remove nodes on the fly during the course of a render.

Shawn Marshall
Marshall Arts Motion Graphics

___mats___
02-15-2007, 03:08 PM
Shawn -

Yes I love RFC, well I think the problem is when you use PC/MACs since in the image filter the paths are different :work:content instead of /work/content/ for some reason it does that when using PC/Mac, the normal image saver path seems to work ok.

Maybe they will integrate the RPF saver as an image saver format in the future.

Thanks !