PDA

View Full Version : Rendering stops after so many frames?

codyburke610
02-13-2007, 01:36 PM
I am using LW9, and I just started rendering my first big scene. It is an asteroid field in space with lens flares on it, and the camera is going through them and following them. The scene originally was 2000 frames long, and when I went to render it, the time for it to take was about 7-8 hours. I went to bed and when I woke up in the morning the rendering had stopped at about frame 1550, the rendering box was still up but just with a plain black screen. So then I re-did the animation with the number of frames set at 1550 (where it stopped at for the first render) and it stopped the same exact way it did the first time except at frame 1265. As of right now I am rendering it again this time with 1220 frames, it isnt done yet and so far so good, but I dont know what is happening with this problem? Has anyone else ever experienced this problem before?
Thanks for the help in advance.
-cody-

RudySchneider
02-13-2007, 05:27 PM
Are you renderingnit out as video (NOT recommended), or as individual frames? Compressed or no?

For something this long, you're far better off rendering individual frames and compositing it later --- specifically for this reason. If LightWave, or your computer, takes a dump, you can simply start up again where you left off. You're definitely at risk rendering directly to a video.

DMarkwick
02-14-2007, 08:10 AM
Are you renderingnit out as video (NOT recommended), or as individual frames? Compressed or no?

For something this long, you're far better off rendering individual frames and compositing it later --- specifically for this reason. If LightWave, or your computer, takes a dump, you can simply start up again where you left off. You're definitely at risk rendering directly to a video.

This is of course the correct way to do animations :)

If you do not have an editor or compositor to stitch together an image sequence, then you can use Lightwave to do it. Just load in the image sequence as background and render the images to an animation file.

NTComm
02-14-2007, 02:14 PM
It sounds as if you may have some background process on your computer kicking in during your rendering that is drawing away enough system resources to halt the render process.

As has already been stated, your best avenue for something this long is to render a series of stills and then compile them in an editing program. In that way, you don't have to start your render all over again, just at the last frame that rendered. Also makes it much easier if you want to tweak it in post.

zardoz
02-14-2007, 04:14 PM
you can also use virtuadub for that. It's free and altough it doesn't look powerful it really is.
Never, ever, render to any video format...always render to stills and then composite later. It's easy. Just import the stills in virtuadub, choose your export options and go!

Sensei
02-14-2007, 05:39 PM
Similar thing happened to me when I was rendering animation without turning Image Viewer off.. LW9 is making frame by frame, filling the whole phisic memory, and then virtual, and then is problem.. But 1550 sounds too many for this.. When you will have this next time, open Process Manager and see Lightwav.exe CPU & memory usage and tell it us..

codyburke610
02-19-2007, 06:19 AM
Thanks for the help guys. Yes, I was rendering to an AVI format. I think another one of my problems was that the only reason I had so many frames was because in the display options the frames per second was set to 300. With that in mind I would always make my animations a large amount of frames, so that when Quicktime would open it up the animation wouldn't go so fast. So in the render globals instead of going to the first box where you can save your animation I should got to the one below that? Can I still put it into my editing system the same way as an AVI file? thanks once again for the help.
-cody-

taproot2
02-19-2007, 09:35 AM
Hey, put the FPS(frames per second) down to somewhere between 24-30 and make yourself real happy! Good Luck
Chris Provine

codyburke610
02-19-2007, 09:38 AM
Thanks taproot! 25 seems to be working pretty well.
-cody-