monfoodoo
02-13-2007, 11:18 AM
Aaaaargh!!!

Intuition
02-13-2007, 11:30 AM
Even with F-Prime, Arg?

monfoodoo
02-13-2007, 12:52 PM
Not to be redunant,(as my thread in Support)But i am never satisfied with my lighting.I always find that is the most difficult part of the project.If it wasn,t for fprime i'd be bonkers.But i'll keep plugging away

ericsmith
02-13-2007, 01:02 PM
Lighting is an artform of it's own. Just ask any proffessional photographer.

I have two suggestions.

1. post some samples of your lighting, and maybe we can give you some tips.

2. get some books that cover the basics of lighting for studio photography. Once you know the principles, you'll have a much better time of it.

Eric

Andyjaggy
02-13-2007, 03:39 PM
Yes lighting. So difficult but in my opinion the most important aspect of 3D. The best animation, modeling, texturing will still look like crap if it isn't lit right.

Bog
02-13-2007, 04:00 PM
To be fair, 3D is a many-legged beastie. Good lighting can compensate for dodgy models and textures, but if it moves like Lurch, it's going to look like Lurch. You've got to be able to keep all the balls in the air, so you know which ball you can kick out of sight when nobody's looking to hit the deadline ;)

That said, lighting well will let you cover more sins than most other single practise. And yeah, it's a doozy.

monfoodoo
02-13-2007, 08:54 PM
Here is where i'm at now.This is with fprime and radiosity at 75% with a HDr dome.I had a globe but the pinching of the image was showing up on the body reflection.There are other images of earlier down in the Support section.

toby
02-14-2007, 12:59 AM
You need to decide what look you want, then figure out how to get there.
Friend of mine just found a great site:
http://www.cg-cars.com/forum/

Most of these cars are lit with studio lighting, is that something you'd like? If you want an outdoor look I'd suggest you find a photograph to composite the car into, outdoor lighting won't work in the environment you have; then all you have to do is match the lighting in the photo. And use these gallery images for reference once you've decided what you want.

Yamba
02-14-2007, 05:58 AM
HI Toby,

Thank you and your mate for the link.

Some really nice work and the texture section has a few bits that are useful.

One post that'll give you a laugh is in the Lighwave Section:
http://www.cg-cars.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2694

Cheers
Yamba

DogBoy
02-14-2007, 06:42 AM
Someone go on there and tell him to hit ALT+F2 for pities sake!!!

DiedonD
02-14-2007, 07:31 AM
I think there was a book about lighting about LW 8.5. I dont remember the author's name. It covered everything from image to scenery. Even told ya how to leave and move cameras and stuff. What I liked about it was that it told you the psychological meaning of each light color, so as you can apply them and thus impose the emotion of the scene. Thats briefly all about it, what I was told.

Perhaps that could serve you well...

Good job on the car, and honestly appart from too much of white on the trucks right side, I dont see any other flaws. To whom is it? Do you intend to please 3D experts or others? If your not going to please 2D & 3D artists, then a slight less white there, and I believe you'll be alright. But then Im mostly into Cellshading at present time.

monfoodoo
02-14-2007, 10:36 AM
A studio lighting setup would be what i would like.Just signed up on that site so i'll be checking that out. I love doing the old cars ,so not really interested in a overall outdoor scene. thanks! Scott

toby
02-14-2007, 01:47 PM
Good deal. You'll need the bounce cards I posted in the last thread, that's how they get this look:

Cageman
02-14-2007, 03:40 PM
Yes lighting. So difficult but in my opinion the most important aspect of 3D. The best animation, modeling, texturing will still look like crap if it isn't lit right.

Can't agree with that.. If the animation is off, it doesn't matter what else has top notch quality... Just take a look at The Polar Express...

And I agree, Lighting is hard and requiers alot of practise.