PDA

View Full Version : 3d Game Trees

aldoktor
02-13-2007, 10:42 AM
Hello,
I was wondering if anyone knows any good tutorials on building great 3d game trees. I want something better than the typical 2 polygons in an x. like what they use for Call of Duty.

Cheers

erikals
02-13-2007, 04:51 PM
Polas.net is your answer. ;)

ItsPete
02-13-2007, 08:31 PM
>> Polas.net is your answer.

i've looked at it but i can't find any info on poly counts. what's the scoop there? it looks like each leaf is a poly? for real time that could be problematic.

aldokotr - i'm actually writing a tut for some friends over at the Unity forums about using blender and jmsoler's l-system script for low poly trees (under 2K tris). don't know when *cough if* i'll ever get it done! i'll shoot you a link when i do. it's not perfect and it's got limitations. but i've gotten some decent results.

here's an in-game screenie using Unity with a really cool shader. it's not optimized for weak machines yet but i think it's purdy for real time! each tree type takes about 45 minutes from scratch to in game and all are under 2k tris. the engine and shader does all the eyecandy shown here and there are plenty of obvious flaws in the models. but still... 45 minutes...
Forest (http://www.oculardgi.com/foggy1_982.jpg)

doimus
02-14-2007, 12:44 AM
Polas.net is your answer. ;)

There are some very interesting plugins there, but all of them are not LW9 compatible, or he just forgot to update his webpage since LW9 came out??
(he never mentions LW9 compatibility)

erikals
02-14-2007, 04:06 AM
ItsPete, yep, all leaves have polys, so that's a drawback for games, you'd most likely want to make the leaves manually for use in a game. LeavesGenerator could still help you a bit out, as it clones the polys to the branch areas, but one have to concider the price, if it is worth buying LeavesGenerator as well...

For the tree itself though, imo TreesDesigner is great, if you get the hang of it, and you have the textures available, you can generate those trees in minutes. I think I recall it makes two UV maps though, so that could be a bit tricky for the game-engine? Not sure, maybe baking to a new UV map could solve it.. (You have pretty good controll over how many polys that should be generated) I haven't been able to make all types of trees yet, but I only tested it for an hour or so.

I've been using TreeDesigner / LeavesGenerator with LW 9.0, no problem ;)

Sam_Horton
02-14-2007, 09:24 AM
Another program that works really well is treemagik from the Game Creators.
http://www.aliencodec.com/product_treemagik.php

It allows you to customize each section of the tree, and even has a section where you can paint your leaf textures. The older version would export to .lwo format, but they stopped supporting it in the newer version. It's easy however, to save as .obj, as Lightwave can import those with no problem.

GandB
02-25-2007, 12:12 PM
I use TreeMagik (and PlantLife), and it's extremely easy to use. I used Milkshape to convert it to a .LWO.

-Keith

erikals
02-25-2007, 12:34 PM
Hi GandB, U can probably export it to a .Obj file instead, and open it directly in LW ;)

Was just thinking about making a Low Detail Model in TreeDesigner (LOD) I can probably just use QemLoss 3 (which preserves UV's)
TreeMagic looks allright though.
I forgot about mentioning Vue, it can makes Tree/Plants as well.

GandB
02-25-2007, 12:57 PM
Probably so Erikals. I believe I tried to do that directly, but the textures weren't showing up properly (probably from TreeMagik's end); so I had to run it through Milkshape first. I mostly use Milkshape for it's conversion abilities. It was a few month's ago that I tried this though. It was just good to know that it could be done reletively painlessly; therefore I could then convert it to a .DTS object for Torque (though I haven't taken that step yet). The newest version of TreeMagik (G3) also gives you 1 separate LOD.

-Keith