PDA

View Full Version : Help resizing an image...

starbase1
02-12-2007, 12:55 PM
Hi All,
I have an image that I need to scale up - it is starting out at 512x512 pixels. I understand that there are tools out there that will do a much better job that a Photoshop bicubic resample, (Extensis? Real Fractals?).

Assuming it doesn't break any license agreements, would someone with such a tool be prepared to upsample it to 2000x1000 for me?

TIA,
Nick

BigHache
02-12-2007, 06:44 PM
I'm not sure that by starting with that small of an image you'd really be benefitting from using something like Genuine Fractals. Those programs are more intended to take a hires image and make it look well when it prints abnormally larger, like 8x10 photo to side of a building.

You could try but I think I've had worse results than with Photoshop starting with small images.

T-Light
02-12-2007, 07:35 PM
Could be a case of re-rendering nick or increasing your res in ps then handtouching.

You could also try putting your image through a program that would turn your image into a vector illustration and manipulate from there.

I'll give it a go if you wish?

Andyjaggy
02-12-2007, 07:43 PM
What kind of an image is it? Can we see it? Some types of images will upscale really well and some won't.

starbase1
02-13-2007, 01:44 AM
Thanks for all the responses guys - it is actually related to another query elsewhere. I am trying to make a bump map for the Moon derived from a normal map. I found a prog that helps, but it is only producing 512x512 images.

The good news is that I have been invited to join the beta, and the new version is more flexible in output size.

(To be more specific, it is actually a height field that I most want to recreate, though these can be considered the same in this case).

Nick

kopperdrake
02-13-2007, 06:58 AM
Starbase - I have Genuine Fractals and if you ever want to test it out let me know and I can run your image through it. I wouldn't really recommend going over 200% though, but it does depend on your final use as pointed out.

EagleWing
02-15-2007, 01:19 PM
is it a vector or raster image?

starbase1
02-15-2007, 02:57 PM
It's raster thanks, but I think I need to work out a better way...

EagleWing
02-15-2007, 03:00 PM
hmm yeah, raster images can get blurry or hard to see when you start scaling them. i've jsut tried scaling a 1440x2067 JPG image up by 300% to check as i've never had to do it before and was seeing how it looks, and it looks pretty good even after the scale, I think the main problem is when you try shrinking the images too small.