PDA

View Full Version : Dongle

Skywatcher_NT
02-12-2007, 08:36 AM
:help: Just a little question ( maybe a stupid one ).
Is it possible to use your parallel dongle on the USB port by a
parralel to USB converter piece/cable ?

Tzan
02-12-2007, 08:52 AM
I dont know.... but.

I purchased and installed a card that had a parallel port on it.

Lew
02-12-2007, 09:43 AM
This, however, is a great question. I have on order a motherboard that does not have a parallel port, but has everything else I want. My parallel dongle is working just fine, and a converter would work just fine for me, if it will work.

Sent an email to customer support a couple of weeks ago asking the procedure to trade my = in for a USB, but haven't heard anything from them yet. The situation will become critical in about a week, so I'm hoping someone know the answers.
Lew

Surrealist.
02-12-2007, 12:32 PM
It is pretty simple to do. You should call first and set it up. For just a dongle swap it is about 40 bucks US. But that is better than paying for and dealing with add on cards or adapters.

However, it you are upgrading to 9.0 from another version the donlge swap is free. That's what I did. I downloaded the free trial to work during the dongle down time.

I went down to the post office, sent it certified return receipt and insured it for the price of a full version of LW - which was only about 9 bucks US. I highly recomend taking some kind of precaution here because that is what is at stake should it become "Lost" or "Cast Away".

I sent off my dongle and said goodby to an old freind that has been with me since 1995 Intel purchase of :lwicon: 4.0 - first apperance of said logo if I am correct. (been using LW since verion 1 and 2 on the Toaster)

Everything installed fine with the new dongle. Life is good. :)

Lew
02-12-2007, 01:23 PM
Very encouraging Surrealist -

How long from put in the mail to back to work? I quess if it was sent Friday, some travel would be used up on the weekend.

Yeah, a weekend off.

Surrealist.
02-12-2007, 06:07 PM
I sent it priority but it depends on your pocket you could have it overnight both ways if you wanted. I took time with it.

Phil
02-13-2007, 04:12 AM
Bear in mind that your replacement dongle will not have the same ID. If you have any 3rd party plugins, especially any that are no longer supported, you'll want to think carefully about your dongle exchange.

It used to be the case, I think, that you could get a dongle with the same ID. I'm not sure that this is possible any more. It also cost quite a bit.