PDA

View Full Version : external hard drive

rman2
02-12-2007, 08:14 AM
which brand do you recommend? i need a 500gb capacity. ive heard of lacie, western digital, iomega, ... etc

Andyjaggy
02-12-2007, 08:27 AM
I have a Western Digital and it has worked really well for the past two years. Be sure to get firewire if you are going to be doing video or transfering lots of big files. Despite the people at my local Comp USA telling me USB is faster it's not. If I correct on this one USB has a faster burst rate, but Firewire is ultimately faster over long transfers.

mj418
02-12-2007, 10:17 AM
Stay far away from external Seagate drives...far away. I bought an 80 gig Seagate external (USB) for, Primarily, LW Content folders, plus other backup purposes.
After only 8 months, one day it just died - *poof*, and I lost a whole lot of work - a whole lot.
I imagine it's possible I just got a "bad" one, but from what I've read since, Seagate has a tendency to make "bad" drives, especially the externals.

kopperdrake
02-12-2007, 01:19 PM
On the same note, stay even further away from Maxtor - I had one of their OneTouch go down after 8 months and the reading on the internet is not good at all. They were in so much difficulty they were recently bought out by Seagate, which isn't going to help their case too much by the sounds of it ^^.

I've now gone for a couple of 400Gb Freecom USB2 externals mirrored, and they've been rock solid so far. The Maxtor came with nasty backup software so now I just use shareware 'Backer' to back up and it's been great. One PC and one batch file backs up the whole system and then mirrors the backup - nice :)

Bog
02-12-2007, 02:28 PM
I had a LaCie half-tera Big Disk Extreme and it died without any warning a-tall.

That hurt. IIRC, that used Maxtor drives in it's enclosure.

GraphXs
02-12-2007, 03:12 PM
I have a 300gig Segate external and its been working fine for 2+ years with alot of back and forth between home and work. The only issue I had was with the firewire port not working because I unpluged it before turning the power off. Segate replaced the drive for me, with some minor back and fourth.

In the past I did have issues with WD and Maxtor drives before. The WD dive had bad sectors and the new one they sent also had issues. The Maxtor just died, stopped working.

What ya need to do is by "two" drives. One for working and one for backing up assets. Back-up once a month and keep it in a safe place. I'm learning from this thread that all drives could just stop working, so back-up alot.

Once Blue-Ray burners become cheap it would be nice to back up to a disc as well.

T

Lamont
02-12-2007, 03:14 PM
I just buy a nice enclosure and grab a HDD to the max capacity.

Also, if it seems your external HDD died, take out the drive and connect it, because it could just be the crappy USB/Firewire controller.

As for USB 2.0 vs Firewire, I use USB 2.0, seems fast to me, but I don't/will not work off of either ever. Buy an enclosure that has both :D.

Another great tool is a SATA/IDE to USB adapter. Take a HDD without putting it in some enclosure and copy data to it. It's great when you have people sending HDD's full of clips.

Bog
02-12-2007, 03:17 PM
What ya need to do is by "two" drives. One for working and one for backing up assets. Back-up once a month and keep it in a safe place. I'm learning from this thread that all drives could just stop working, so back-up alot.

And that is the beginning, middle and end of the discussion. Buy two, and either run 'em mirrored (ask your friendly neighbourhood techie for help with that, I bribed a sysadmin neighbour with beery pints) or do the once-a-month (or once a week if you're madbusy) backup.

Lamont
02-12-2007, 03:23 PM
Not a lot of people have a regimine for backing things up. I find it easier to back up by project/client.

scabooba
02-12-2007, 03:47 PM
i'd get a g-raid if it were me.

Sande
02-12-2007, 04:05 PM
I recently bought LaCie Big Disk Extreme d2 and I've been very happy with it. This holds 1TB in RAID0-configuration (2x500GB disks) and the speed over Firewire800 is very nice. I don't remember for sure, but I guess you can also configure this to use RAID1, if you need more security...

kopperdrake
02-13-2007, 07:16 AM
And that is the beginning, middle and end of the discussion. Buy two, and either run 'em mirrored (ask your friendly neighbourhood techie for help with that, I bribed a sysadmin neighbour with beery pints) or do the once-a-month (or once a week if you're madbusy) backup.

Pretty much what I do. I have a 300Gb external that is a backup of all my current working projects, contacts and invoices etc, then two 400Gb externals mirrored as permanent backup of finished projects to save me trawling through tapes or DVDs for older projects that need ressurecting. This way I always have 2 copies of everything and 2 of the hard drives go with me if I leave the house over night - always one to panic ;) When I had the double misfortune of the Maxtor *and* the email PC die just before Christmas I can tell you I was as happy as a pig in muck that it was all backed up.

Dave Jerrard
02-13-2007, 07:48 AM
I'm a Western Digital fan myself. I'm currently running 15 of their drives, spanning a range from 30GB to 500GB. I''ve got three more 500GB drives that I need to install when I get the chance. I've only had two die on me - a 40GB that fell, and a 250GB that actually still works, but the controller card on it is dead (I can swap cards and still use it) - and those are in adition to the drives I listed above. I also have one Lacie 80GB portable drive and a 2GB Hitachi microdrive.

A word of warning though... Don't get the WD external enclosure setups. I've had two of these and they both died in about a year. The first one killed the card on a 250GB drive (the one that still works if I swap the card on it). The second one, which included a backup feature, dies about a year after I got that to replace the first one. In that case, it was the enclosure itself that died. The drive that was inside is still fine. I suggest getting a standard internal drive and buying a separate enclusure if you want to go the external route. I figure with such a successful run with WD drives, two two failures in a row with their external solutions is probably a bad sign about those setups.

Avoid Maxtor. I've gone through nearly 2 dozen of their drives in the 90's, and none lasted more than a year. The last one lasted almost a day.

I've heard Seagates are pretty good these days, but I'll defer judgement to those that have more experience with them.

Based on my last 7 years with WD, I can say they'r egood. I'm still using a few of their drives that I bought way back in 2000 - a couple 30GB and a 60GB, and so far, I haven't had any problems with those, yet. Still, I'll be phasing those out later this year as I start to shuffle in larger drives.

He Who Just Bought A Couple More 500GB Drives A Couple Weeks Ago.

axaboss
02-14-2007, 10:44 PM
I recently became a western digital fan. It started with the 60GB pocket drives. They run on any laptop without power, run cool and quiet. I have 3 of them and all are over 2 years old. No problems to report. I also have two WD 250GB My Books with USB 2 only. Both almost two years old and still running silently and efficiently. Now, I just bought 2 WD 500GB My Books with Firewire 400, 800 and USB 2. They run a little louder than the previous My Books I purchased, but they run a whole lot faster under firewire 800.

Next, I have a Lacie Bigger Disk Extreme with 500GB and triple interface. Its fast under firewire 800, but very noisy and it runs very hot. In the last 6 months I've noticed a very high pitched sound coming from it. It becomes very annoying after a while. It's about 3 years old or more.

Finally, I have two Maxtor external drives. One a 250GB Maxtor 5000 DV Drive with no on/off switch. Its nearly 5 years old and still running. Louder than a banshee. The other is a little older than the Lacie. It's a one touch 200GB Drive with firewire 400 and runs quietly. I wouldn't know it was on if it wasn't for the blue light in the front.

Oh yeah. I also have a USB 2 hard drive enclosure for ATA drives. I have a couple of OEM drives that I swap out of my computers for drives with more capacity. Those drives get used for archiving old stuff. I swap them in and out of this enclosure, fill them up, label them and put them away. If a client asks to resurrect the dead... I put one of these drives in the enclosure and restore it onto my internal drive to work on.

As far as I'm concern, Western Digital is currently the only game in town for external drives. Seagate drives are fantastic internal drives. Lacie and Maxtor are loud, but the more recent Maxtor is silent, not quiet, silent. From the look of things, current technology has brought us quieter, larger, faster drives.

Time to exit.

monfoodoo
02-15-2007, 01:39 AM
Say No to MAXTOR!My External is where all my textures are and LW Scene files.Well the Maxtor failed and i lost all of it.I have been using a Bushlink with no problems.One day in BestBuy i talked a customer outa buying a Maxtor until the salesguy came over and told him how great they were.He Bought.I wonder what happened?The drives in my PC are western digital and so far they havn't let me down. Scott

Jim_C
02-15-2007, 08:47 AM
We have actually had phenomenal success with Maxtor Externals. These are all the One Touch models with the rounded edges and the blue light on the front

We lug about 30-40 of them all over the country in planes, big rigs, suitcases etc and haven't had any problems that were not man made.

axaboss
02-15-2007, 11:03 AM
I own this model (One Touch Firewire) and it works beautifully. Maxtor improved the quality of their drives from this point on. I also own a Maxtor Personal Storage 5000DV (2 years older than the One Touch) and it has a loud, high-pitch squeal. Still works, but in a awful way.

FYI, Maxtor has been acquired by Seagate Technology. Seagate is a great company. I had a Seagate drive last for almost 10 years, until I had to switch it out for a bigger drive.

We have actually had phenomenal success with Maxtor Externals. These are all the One Touch models with the rounded edges and the blue light on the front

amiga2091
02-15-2007, 11:07 AM
I use a Seagate external 300gig USB drive. I recently saw at the stores that Seagate now has external 500gig eSATA drives if you want faster drives.

rman2
02-16-2007, 01:03 PM
i have a better idea to what to do, many thanks to all.

Ztreem
02-16-2007, 02:16 PM
I have a Maxtor One touch the old one, aluminum case with blue light, works great! I've had it for 3 years and I've carried it around allover with out any problems. I also have two Maxtor internal drives in my desktop computer and they been on almost every day for five years without any problems.

cresshead
02-16-2007, 02:40 PM
i'm getting a western digital drive...external usb for my laptop to backup the data...amazon uk have them for 55 for a 250 gig...bargin!

bobakabob
02-16-2007, 02:53 PM
i'm getting a western digital drive...external usb for my laptop to backup the data...amazon uk have them for 55 for a 250 gig...bargin!

Thanks for the heads up on that... amazing.

cresshead
02-16-2007, 03:10 PM
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/browse.html/ref=pe_pe_8771_5228421_pe_105/?node=10391531

for a direct link

seems the 250 gig ones are a little more noisey but work great
the 320 and 500 gig are nr silent...and still great!

axaboss
02-16-2007, 07:29 PM
seems the 250 gig ones are a little more noisey but work great the 320 and 500 gig are nr silent...and still great!

You've got that backwards. I own both. 250 GB WD Book is near silent. 500 GB WD Pro Book has a low hum, but pretty quiet.

Erwin Zwart
02-17-2007, 01:23 AM
it's amazing to see that people actually store their LW content on a external single HD without having a backup. HD's can break, whatever brand...
I use these disks only for transport and firesafe backup, the data is always on RAID too originally.

cresshead
02-17-2007, 03:30 AM
re noise 'im just going off the feeback over on amazon...320, 500 reviewers say silent due to no fan in the design
20gig noise due to a fan...

cresshead
02-17-2007, 03:31 AM
backup to me means just that..a 'copy' and not just the ONLY version!

axaboss
02-17-2007, 08:27 AM
it's amazing to see that people actually store their LW content on a external single HD without having a backup. HD's can break, whatever brand... I use these disks only for transport and firesafe backup, the data is always on RAID too originally.

Raid 1... I hope. If you lose one drive with Raid 0... you lose the same data on all the drives that are striped together. Raid 0 is great for digitized video for editing. If a drive breaks down... replace it and batch digitize the lost content.

LightWave content, video project files, original media should always be saved on two separate drives.

iconoclasty
02-17-2007, 01:47 PM
Despite the people at my local Comp USA telling me USB is faster it's not. If I correct on this one USB has a faster burst rate, but Firewire is ultimately faster over long transfers.

Are you referring to USB 2.0? Because I was under the impression it was faster than Firewire.

cresshead
02-17-2007, 03:08 PM
usb 2 is slightly faster than firewire 400....but firwire800..is...whoooosh!
...the sustained data rate thing maybe true of firewaire though....still..usb is 'universal' so it wins out for me and will also work with usb 1 if needed on older pc's.

axaboss
02-17-2007, 10:25 PM
Look it up. USB 2 is faster than firewire on a PC. Firewire is faster than USB 2 on a Mac. Firewire 800 kicks both in the bum. You can get a sustain rate of 60 to 70 MB a second with Firewire 800. Don't believe the 100 MB rate listed on manufacturer's specs.

Eldorado
02-20-2007, 10:08 PM
I have Lacie Its to fragile it broke because I was careless. however it works fine. just don't force the cable. Transfer rates are a little low.