PDA

View Full Version : 3D Face Shots Snapped by Single Camera

kyle_r
02-12-2007, 08:01 AM
Don't know if you see that. Could be interesting for people like me who don't know how to quickly and realisticly model a face.
It is cheap subtitute of 3d scan.

Feb. 6, 2007 — An imaging technology originally used to find bumps and flaws in industrial surfaces is now being turned on the tiny details of the human face to produce three-dimensional pictures.

Such detailed maps of a person's features could be used for security purposes in places like airports and banks, but it could also lead to better imaging and diagnosing of skin trauma such as burns.

The images can be combined with software that adjusts for light or other conditions if security officials need to compare a photo with one taken previously with another camera or under different conditions.
advertisement
line

"You can create how that person would have looked if seen under different viewing conditions and then match it against a database of suspects...or you may use computer graphics to see how the person looks with glasses or moustache," said Maria Petrou, team leader on the project at Imperial College London.

The technique, called photometric stereo, uses a fixed digital camera and at least three lights placed around it to illuminate the face from different angles.

The lights are synchronized to flash very quickly in succession, in a few hundredths of a second, so the person being photographed only perceives one flash. But the computer picks up digital data for all lighting angles.

A program written by Petrou and her colleagues analyzes the shadows and highlights, and then combines them into one three-dimensional image.

Other recognition systems are capable of producing three-dimensional images, but most rely on two or more cameras.

And because each camera snaps the same photo from a different location, the resulting images contain slight disparities in the location and color of pixels that correspond to the same physical point on the person's face.

Identifying the pixels in each image that correspond to each other is difficult, but necessary to create a three-dimensional image.
advertisement
Shop Discovery Channel Store
line

Photometric stereo overcomes the pixel-matching problem because one camera takes multiple shots.

"Potentially, it could produce an excellent and cheap...system that would be very tough to beat simply because of the vast amounts of 3D detail it captures. It's also non-contact and quick," said Michael Chantler of the School of Mathematical and Computer Sciences at Heriot-Watt University in Edinburgh, Scotland.

The challenges, he said, will be in quickly comparing the captured image to others in a database as well as coping with variable facial expressions.

Petrou and her team hope to have a working prototype in three years.

http://dsc.discovery.com/news/2007/02/06/gallery/skinscan2_zoom.jpg

http://dsc.discovery.com/news/2007/02/06/gallery/skinscan_zoom.jpg

Source: http://dsc.discovery.com/news/2007/02/06/facescan_tec.html?category=technology&guid=20070206163030&dcitc=w19-502-ak-0000

Elmar Moelzer
02-12-2007, 08:18 AM
hmmm, I dont know, the resulting object looks kinda destorted. I guess that is due to the software not taking the perspective distortion of this particular camera (-lens) into account. Kinda scary that they might use this to identify people...
LOL
CU
Elmar

metahumanity
02-12-2007, 08:44 AM
Kind of reminds me of the face/eye recognition for personalized ads in minority report.

cresshead
02-12-2007, 09:42 AM
is there a website to buy it from and is so how much?....might buy it as a pressy for oddity!

kopperdrake
02-12-2007, 01:22 PM
Hehe - made me think of that other thread too ;)

I personally think you could make some cracking jelly moulds with this piece of kit :D

cresshead
02-12-2007, 01:50 PM
'get your strawberry jelly oddity's here'!!!....
artful food!

oDDity
02-12-2007, 03:49 PM
That actually looks quite good though.
My problem with the other apps was that they produce generic meshes and the work is all done by pasting a photo onto it.

BigHache
02-12-2007, 06:39 PM
That reminds me of the research they did several years back trying to scientifically determine if the shroud of Turin was authentic. Interesting technology even then.

T-Light
02-12-2007, 07:01 PM
There was other research made in this vain, I'll see if I can find it.

Essentially it was several photos taken from a strange lens or prism which created 3d photo's. Not the same but similar, these created depth of field rather than a 3d construction.
Should add, similar as in several different recordings made to discover depth in a given photo.