PDA

View Full Version : The good stuff - animations

starbase1
02-11-2007, 01:19 PM
Saw a couple of things where I really admired the animation this weekend...

1. Shrek. Particularly the animation of Princess Fiona - the amount of character they got into the facial animation was seriously impressive. And it helps that I think it's an extremely funny film...

2. Jason and the Argonauts. Yep, the low tech stuff, with Harry Harryhausen making those skeletons jump up and wave swords around! Now there's a man who really understood how to make a bones system deliver results...

Nick

newsvixen8
02-14-2007, 06:50 AM
Even sweeter is Shrek 2; get a load of Prince Charming's hair (and lipgloss.) That hair is a best supporting actor IMHO.

And I agree about Harryhausen; he laid the foundations for what we do.

starbase1
02-14-2007, 11:49 AM
You're right - there were all kinds of riffs on adverts over that film, and the shampoo advert approach was a wonderful funny way of getting his entire character across in one shot!

bobakabob
02-15-2007, 07:07 AM
Jason and the Argonauts. Yep, the low tech stuff, with Harry Harryhausen making those skeletons jump up and wave swords around! Now there's a man who really understood how to make a bones system deliver results...

Nick

:agree: A pioneering classic. So many CGI films these days fail to come close to the sense of wonder Jason and the Argonauts conveyed. Whatever happened to Harryhausen's dramatic timing and suspense?

JamesCurtis
02-15-2007, 07:27 AM
"Whatever happened to Harryhausen's dramatic timing and suspense?" - bobakabob

I don't think that it gone or missing. I just think we've seen too much wondrous 3D imagery and we've become quite used to seeing this stuff anymore!!

I do have to admit that I loved Narnia: The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe. it really caught my attention and kept my interest!!

shrox
02-15-2007, 08:12 AM
I always thought it was funny how the Parthenon was already in ruins in Jason and the Argonauts.

gerry_g
02-15-2007, 10:00 AM
I remember seeing H G Wells 'Journey to the Moon' as a kid, all of the stop motion FX for the ant like beings that dwelt below surface were done by Harryhausen, scared the crap out of me at the time. It's half term here in the UK and I took my niece's kids to the pics today to see Arthur and the Incredibles which was way better CG wise than I had expected, but what really blew me away was the trailer for the new 'Mutant Ninja Turtles' I'd passed on every opportunity to watch the trailer online cos the original was so dire, the lighting and framing was something else with tons of back/rim lighting and so much use of specular they must have put it on steroids

starbase1
02-15-2007, 10:38 AM
I always thought it was funny how the Parthenon was already in ruins in Jason and the Argonauts.

yes!

Incidentally, some of Harryhausen's early work is available for free download at archive.org. Though dated, it still shows his attention to detail.

Iain
02-16-2007, 04:18 AM
When you talk about the 'good stuff' I think it's important to view these animations as more than just animation.
Shrek is a really good piece of film making. It's funny, well written, original, AND the cgi is terrific.

I think the work of Brad Bird is amazing. The Iron Giant and The Incredibles are stunning regardless of genre.
Studio Gibli are another great example. Their work engrosses you so much, you don't think of it as animation, just great cinema.

DogBoy
02-16-2007, 07:04 AM
I agree. I saw Porco Rosso the other night and was entranced within minutes. I can't think of a Ghibli movie I didn't like ("Howl" wasn't the greatest adaption, but it was still a beautiful film).

starbase1
02-16-2007, 10:58 AM
One of the weirder ones, which I believe used Lightwave a lot, (though it looked much more cartoony) was 'Belleville Rendezvous'. I keep meaning to hunt down that on DVD.

(For those who never saw it t was an extremely French feature length cartoon about a cyclist, almost without words, very gently paced, and absolutely captivating). If you like CGI that does not look CGI it's great!

Nick

cagey5
02-16-2007, 11:27 AM
Yes, I enjoyed that too. I'm sure it was given away on a newspaper sometime last year and I thought I had it tucked away somewhere. I'll have to go on a hunt now you've brought it to mind.

bobakabob
02-16-2007, 11:38 AM
One of the weirder ones, which I believe used Lightwave a lot, (though it looked much more cartoony) was 'Belleville Rendezvous'. I keep meaning to hunt down that on DVD.

(For those who never saw it t was an extremely French feature length cartoon about a cyclist, almost without words, very gently paced, and absolutely captivating). If you like CGI that does not look CGI it's great!

Nick

Yep, that film is a classic. Stunning well crafted mix of 2D and 3D. Very French in that arty and refreshingly quirky way.

Must say I find Japanese animation captivating in terms of vision and storytelling... the Ghibli films especially Spirited Away take you to another dimension.

Has anyone seen Avalon by Ghost in the Shell director Oshi? It's live action (Polish actors + Japanese film crew) with stunning CG.

DogBoy
02-16-2007, 11:47 AM
Has anyone seen Avalon by Ghost in the Shell director Oshi? It's live action (Polish actors + Japanese film crew) with stunning CG.

Yup, liked it, but what is it about his obsession with Basset hounds?

I'm also a big fan of Satoshi Kon. I've not seen one of his I didn't like.

bobakabob
02-16-2007, 11:52 AM
Yup, liked it, but what is it about his obsession with Basset hounds?

I'm also a big fan of Satoshi Kon. I've not seen one of his I didn't like.

The hound apparently represents the way Oshi sees himself and he likes to do the Hitchcock thing of making cameo appearances There was an interesting interview with him on J Ross's Japorama. Ross was in awe of him... though still managed to take the p out of his t shirt.