PDA

View Full Version : 30" Cinema Display

avkills
02-11-2007, 10:31 AM
Man this rocks. I am so glad I bit the bullet; although my wallet will hurt for a few months. Being driven by a Dual 2 G5 with a ATI X800.

That movie playing on it is a actual size 1080 HD H.264 file. :thumbsup:

-mark

Andyjaggy
02-11-2007, 07:22 PM
I hate you. :)

avkills
02-11-2007, 07:57 PM
I know. :D

-mark

cresshead
02-11-2007, 08:18 PM
wow!...do you have to wear sunglasses?!
i'm looking at getting a dell lcd dual 22" setup [tis V cheap]
as i'm also looking to get a new apple mac too!

lesterfoster
02-11-2007, 08:30 PM
Moving that chair out of the way and using a wider setting on your zoom lens, at the same time that you stand slightly closer to your system makes that monitor look just a little bit bigger than it really is. I think.

avkills
02-11-2007, 11:49 PM
wow!...do you have to wear sunglasses?!
i'm looking at getting a dell lcd dual 22" setup [tis V cheap]
as i'm also looking to get a new apple mac too!

Well I thought about the just getting another 20" Cinema, but that would been really a lot harder to use and physically challenging for my desk; you can't tell from the pic, but the wall ends right where the book shelf ends (to the right), so I really don't have more space to put more stuff to the right. (actually the before setup you can see the wall end.)

Now I have almost as much desktop space as 2 20" Cinemas, but it is physically taking less room and my left speaker is no longer blocked.

Final Cut Pro simply just rocks to use on this monitor. I find for apps like Lightwave and such, I really don't go full screen and I am no longer accidently mousing over the dock, trying to do something.

Another reason I chose the Apple display is the color accuracy.

-mark

ingo
02-12-2007, 02:22 AM
Youre sitting very close to that huge monitor, do you wear glasses ? I prefer the old setup, for me 24" is the biggest usable monitor size for work.

Andyjaggy
02-12-2007, 10:34 AM
Yeah I think I would rather have a dual 24" setup. But I would certainly take the 30 if it was offered to me.

Captain Obvious
02-12-2007, 10:57 AM
Those 30-inchers are a dream to work on, but I rather like my 24" widescreen + 20" normal setup (for a total of 3520x1200).

avkills
02-12-2007, 11:50 AM
Youre sitting very close to that huge monitor, do you wear glasses ? I prefer the old setup, for me 24" is the biggest usable monitor size for work.

For video editing the 30" is much better.

-mark

Bog
02-12-2007, 11:55 AM
They are sheer bliss. I've finally got my workspace *almost* the way I want it now - the edit rig on the left's re-equipped with a new powersupply and is just waiting for an infusion of SpeedEDIT goodness, the middle machine... well, I'm ... happy... :D.. and the Road Warrior is doing fine duty as the comms box :)

Just need to replace the cobbled-together deskage, paint the walls and replace the carpet with some lino and I shall be in Boggy Heaven.

There's really no feeling like it, though, when you power up one of those 30" panels for the first time. Congrats on your new God's Eye View, avkills! It really makes all the difference in the world.

Lightwolf
02-12-2007, 12:58 PM
I've finally got my workspace *almost* the way I want it now
Man, you smoke too much and need a new Wacom ;)

Cheers,
Mike - off for a puff (yeah, I need a 30" as well ;) ).

Bog
02-12-2007, 01:58 PM
Man, you smoke too much and need a new Wacom ;)

Cheers,
Mike - off for a puff (yeah, I need a 30" as well ;) ).

Ahh, mate - true on both counts! Having a 4x3" Wacom mapped to something A Bit Bigger than it makes for less-than-optimal strokes.

Quitting smoking is nothing but a good idea as well. ;)

Lightwolf
02-12-2007, 04:51 PM
Quitting smoking is nothing but a good idea as well. ;)
Unfortunately it is just that at the moment... nothing but an idea ;)

:hijack:

Cheers,
Mike

avkills
02-12-2007, 05:31 PM
Nice setup Bog. And yes they are a sight to behold. I am going to wait until my new version of Final Cut Studio comes in before I do a lot of app layout prefs.

Although when I have been using Lightwave, I generally have not been using the whole screen; most of it though.

-mark

Bog
02-13-2007, 02:56 AM
Nice setup Bog. And yes they are a sight to behold. I am going to wait until my new version of Final Cut Studio comes in before I do a lot of app layout prefs.

Although when I have been using Lightwave, I generally have not been using the whole screen; most of it though.

-mark

Kinda depends on what I'm doing - whether I've got Layout and Modeler just staggered, or scootched into the corner with a slew of panels all over the shop, or full-screened modeler for doing high-detail work.

Blimmin' luxury having the option, though!

Sarford
02-13-2007, 09:26 AM
He avkills, did you sell your boss his G-raid to pay for that monitor?
It is suspiciously missing in your second picture....

Animapper
02-13-2007, 10:04 AM
I've got one for sale right now. Best offer over $1650 and it's yours.

Regards,

Matt
02-13-2007, 01:42 PM
Bah! That's nothing, I just bought this lot:

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?p=497183

;)

My VISA card is now bleeding, poor little thing!

Bog
02-13-2007, 01:53 PM
Aw Matt that's lush! New tech is it's own reward :D

avkills
02-18-2007, 08:57 AM
That looks nice Matt; nice rendering machine. ;)

No the G-RAID went back to the office.

-mark

cresshead
02-18-2007, 04:24 PM
i want an imac 30"!

dablan
02-19-2007, 08:17 PM
Congrats on that! I bit the bullet this past summer and put one in as well, replacing two 19"s.

One thing you should look into is calibration - such as the EyeOne Match system from Xrite (gretagmacbeth). It makes a huge difference in how the monitor looks, but also, the color you see is the color you get when you print or go out to other sources.

radams
02-19-2007, 08:27 PM
Congrats on that! I bit the bullet this past summer and put one in as well, replacing two 19"s.

One thing you should look into is calibration - such as the EyeOne Match system from Xrite (gretagmacbeth). It makes a huge difference in how the monitor looks, but also, the color you see is the color you get when you print or go out to other sources.

Hi Dan,

It's been awhile...how are things going ?

I agree with your comments above...but I would suggest getting CinesSpace from Rising Sun Research...using the EyeOne...

Along with that is working with 3D luts...such as Iridas's xml base non-destructive realtime apps.

What this all means is that you can match input and output of any media...to better make decisions...
I hope that in the future we will see options with LW and with VT,SE etc...to be able to setup 3D luts and properly use things like CineSpace to profile out monitors and use real world calibrations to see our medium's output needs and thus be able to make proper corrections.

Cheers,

Verlon
02-19-2007, 09:55 PM
the Dell 30" is somewhere in UPS land. What can brown do for me? It can hurry the heck up :)

I can't wait. I understand the Dell is very similar to the Apple (and only better where it is different), so I am quite excited.

Nothing cures depression like a UPS truck coming up the driveway :)

Twisted_Pixel
02-21-2007, 09:35 PM
Am insanely jealous of you all.

I make do with one 17" monitor.

One day when i'm earning again, i shall join the club :)

cresshead
02-22-2007, 04:41 AM

the dell lcd's have controls for use with mac coluursync as well as standard
pc colour..so if your on a mac and it doesn't qite lok right you can change it to 'mac mode'
:thumbsup:

Signal to Noise
02-22-2007, 07:46 AM
That's nothing.

This 30" sandwich is better. (http://www.ubergizmo.com/15/archives/2006/02/dell_3007wfp_on_dell_2001fp_action_8_megapixel_des ktop.html) ;)

Bog
02-22-2007, 01:57 PM
Well, with three machines tied together with Synergy, it's quite nifty ;)

http://www.imaginetix.co.uk/Images/BogsDrumKit1.jpg

Need a bigger tablet!!! ;)

Verlon
02-22-2007, 02:22 PM
he Bog...you could get a few more pixels if you incorporated your phone's display also....and maybe you could write a special mouse driver and retarget the LED on your mouse and use that as an additional pixel also :D

Bog
02-22-2007, 02:56 PM
he Bog...you could get a few more pixels if you incorporated your phone's display also....and maybe you could write a special mouse driver and retarget the LED on your mouse and use that as an additional pixel also :D

It will be mine! Oh, yes! It WILL be mine! (http://www.artlebedev.com/everything/optimus/)

toby
02-22-2007, 04:38 PM
Ok, now what would your res be with all those keys included??
And when will they be a part of the display??
(I've actually tried to mouse-down to my keyboard before - don't ask me why)

All this makes me think I should hook up my 40" samsung to my computer... then back my desk about 5 feet from the wall...

Bog
02-22-2007, 04:42 PM
Counting from Tilde to Minus across the top of my keyboard, that'd be 20x32, so an extra 640 wide. But possibly a very sweet 640. ;)

Having a KB like that would be utter ostentation. I haven't even looked at the keyboard for my LW kb shortcuts in about eight years,except for when they moved Cut, Copy and Paste from X, C and V. I don't need such a device.

But I really, really want it! :D

Verlon
02-22-2007, 05:20 PM
it sure would look spiffy, but at $1200, I'd rather have another 30" Dell.