PDA

View Full Version : Help with this program please.

Rectro
02-11-2007, 10:08 AM
Well im not one to give up but hey a whole day and iv got nothink done in this program. Iv downloaded loads of videos and when ever I go to try things they either are not where they should be or are not working?

Its so simple what I want to do yet I cant find no tutorial on getting this done. I just want to get a model into lightwave position a light or 2 and render a high quality render?

In my mind this should take 25 min tops. I seem to be missing some info that isnt put into any tutorial in the order than I need it.

If anyone can point me in the direction that deals with the following id be thankfull. I should add im not new to 3D and can get about in 3DS max, XSI, Poser 7 to achive the above fast from which I mormaly rely in intuition to get such things done.

1) Rotating, pan, zoom for mouse + key combos.

Layout:

Alt +LMB rotates
Alt + wheel zooms + /-
Pan ?

Modler:
Alt +LMB rotates
Zoom?
Pan?

Why dont the mouse zoom, zoom onto the object I have selected?

2) why is the hub no located in the launch menu?

The hub can only load the layout not the modler. Why are they two seperate programs anyway?

3) why is lightwave made so you cant just render from the view your in, this is becoming a big thing for me at the moment?

4) Why cant I just use simple key combos with mouse to rotate the rendering camera

5) Is the subpach supose to smooth Sub D the model as its not doing it for display or render. The tutorial video dont show any additional setup required?

6) Can I switch my model from modler to layout or do I have to save out the file and import it into layout?

7) Why is it the programs I can afford are a nightmare to learn, lol, sorry had to add that last one.

These are the things realy bigging me at the moment.

dballesg
02-11-2007, 12:30 PM
Hi,

I just recently got Poser 7 and I can say the same things about it that you are saying about LW! :) That is why first thing I did is read carefully the manual! ;)

LAYOUT: Put your view on perspective pressing 4 on your Numeric Pad, or with the drop down menu on the viewport.

Alt + LMB: Rotates (Heading and Pitch)
Alt + RMB: Rotates (Bank)
Alt + Shift + LMB: Pan (X and Z)
Alt + Shift + RMB: Pan (Y)

If you are on the Camera viewport instead, you need to have selected the Camera and use the Move Tool (t)

MODELER: Page 388 of the Manual.

Cursor Keys: Pan the viewport your mouse is over. (1 Grid Square)
Shift + Cursor Keys: Pan the viewport your mouse is over. (4 Grid Squares)
Shift + Cursor Keys: Pan the viewport your mouse is over. (4 Grid Squares)

Alt + LMB: Pan Pan in any vieport, but rotates on the perspective viewport.
Alt + Shift + LMB: Pan on Perspective viewport.
CTRL + Alt + LMB: Zoom in any viewport.

If you hub menu to launch Modeler it is not there, maybe you have something wrong with you config files, made a search about it on the forums here.

On LW you can only render from the Camera view. If you need an ortographic render, looks on your LW 9 manual about Orthographic camera.

To rotate the camera you can do it selecting the Rotate Toll (y) and doing on the camera viewport straight away. Click and drag.

In the subpatch issue, did you activate smoothing for the surface of your object, which modes you have your viewports configures? Try Smooth Shade or Texture. You can find the Smoothing for each surface on the surface editor.

You can use the Modeler's top right drop down menu to sent your object to layout, and synchronized it between both apps thanks to the hub. But you need to save your model first.

Nobody can pretend to use a 3D app in 25 minutes (even knowing another ones) without read at least the documentation about viewport navigation, trust me, I tried as well! :)

But welcome to the nice forums of LW ;) You will see people help here a LOT, much more than any other app forums I used! :)

Best regards,
David

Rectro
02-11-2007, 12:41 PM
Thankyou for your time to reply in full. Im using the demo version so there may be some limitations on the things im trying to do. I must have be lucky but I did literaly get what im trying to do now in poser within 25 min. Of corse I wasnt after top results but more to get a feel of how the work flow is.

Are there any presets in LW like a SSS shader, Glass, chrome e.c.t and if so how would I load them? If theres anythink that has a great deciding factor in perchasing software it would be the help and support.

I know im trying to rush in there fast but I mite beable to get LW V7 for a good price on a aution tonight so had to try and cram so much into this trial. To add to that I could well wait and get version 9 as theres a deal on perchasng a companion version for my Zbrush 2.0.

Thanks.

dballesg
02-11-2007, 01:05 PM
Hi,

You are welcome.

Not sure if there is any presets included on the demo, but open your surface editor, and then press F8 to open the presets panel. On the dropdown menu on the top you will see them categorized by libraries.

On the case of SSS you need to deal with the node editor and the Kappa and Omega nodes.

And trust me, being a LW user swince 4.0 version, HERE there is a LOT of help, much more I got on other softwares I have as well.

Best regards,
David

prospector
02-11-2007, 01:21 PM
If you have Skype then call

Surrealist.
02-11-2007, 02:24 PM
Thankyou for your time to reply in full. Im using the demo version so there may be some limitations on the things im trying to do. I must have be lucky but I did literaly get what im trying to do now in poser within 25 min. Of corse I wasnt after top results but more to get a feel of how the work flow is.

Are there any presets in LW like a SSS shader, Glass, chrome e.c.t and if so how would I load them? If theres anythink that has a great deciding factor in perchasing software it would be the help and support.

I know im trying to rush in there fast but I mite beable to get LW V7 for a good price on a aution tonight so had to try and cram so much into this trial. To add to that I could well wait and get version 9 as theres a deal on perchasng a companion version for my Zbrush 2.0.

Thanks.

There are no limitations for the trial. I used it for 30 days while I swapped my dongle and upgraded.

Make sure and download the content as well. (It is identical from what I can tell to what I got on my DVDROM)There are a whole lot of sample scenes, objects and some surfaces. This is the best way to check it out in full as you can just load up scenes, do some renders check out objects, surfaces, node presets(obect files), animations and rigging that was done. There is enough to keep you busy for a while. I understand that in version 9.2 (forthcomming) there are some node material presets as well.

For now if you have the surface editor open you can press F8 to get the preset shelf. There are a bunch of presets there for surfaces in the layers format. Double click to load. There are a few surfaces if you choose load from the surfaces editor and go to where you downloaded the content.

colkai
02-12-2007, 02:41 AM
Indeed, many of us here are on Skype, MSN , ICQ et al.
There are quite a few of us in the UK too so timezones shouldn't be a problem.

Rectro
I'm going to be "online" tonight between around 7:30 and 9:00 so if you want, I'd be happy to guide you one-to-one over doing some simple things. I'll even send you a couple of scenes so you can do exactly as I do.

Let me know via MSN/ICQ/SKype chat if you're interested. (details on my profile)

Rectro
02-12-2007, 02:53 AM
Colkai thats very kind of you. Im on MSN alot so il send you my address to your PM. I wont post on the open forum in case of spam emails.

Thanks.

prospector
02-12-2007, 04:23 AM
I'm going to be "online" tonight between around 7:30 and 9:00 so if you want,

HU? rookie :D :D

I try to be on no less than 18 hours a day LW'in and skype is always on.

Me and a few others have spent 24 to 36 hours in LW'in marathons workin on all sorts of experiments.

7:30 to 9:00 pfffttttt :D :D :D

colkai
02-12-2007, 05:49 AM
well, in my defense, my day job and 'other life' take up much of my time, (like recoding stuff from scratch at the moment :p ) ;)

prospector
02-12-2007, 08:07 AM
snicker snicker he said other life snicker snicker
What's that ?

colkai
02-12-2007, 09:10 AM
Ahh, it's my secret life, I'd tell you, but then I'd have to kill you ;)

Silkrooster
02-12-2007, 09:57 PM
HU? rookie :D :D

I try to be on no less than 18 hours a day LW'in and skype is always on.

Me and a few others have spent 24 to 36 hours in LW'in marathons workin on all sorts of experiments.

7:30 to 9:00 pfffttttt :D :D :D
I'll never figure out how you can do that. :bowdown:
Silk

prospector
02-13-2007, 12:06 AM
A pure dedication to LW and believing that LW is greater than food, sex, sleep.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it :D

colkai
02-13-2007, 02:12 AM
A pure dedication to LW and believing that LW is greater than ... sex, .....
Now ya just being silly. ;) :p