PDA

View Full Version : Good news ,FRY' plug for LW is available

gjassin
02-10-2007, 10:15 PM
On last Week,Feversoft has published the FRY's V1.6 with the plug for LW.
As betatester ,I got excellent results about an unbiased render engine as FRY can offer for a high level quality definition .
It's better to take a view at www.fryrender.com (gallery) or finished works (forum).But is great new that LW ,now can access to those posibilities under a stability engine that is so far from crashes or eternity render time.
It's good to enjoy it with LW.Image examples talk by themselves.

GJ

calilifestyle
02-11-2007, 09:06 PM
yeah i would love to see but its so stupid i need to reg just to see what going on.

loki74
02-11-2007, 09:16 PM
yeah i would love to see but its so stupid i need to reg just to see what going on.

yes this is my problem as well.

The results and description are very nice, but the lack of information as of yet and the closed forums really make it hard for me to get excited.

The one thing that would gain my interest is its price compared to maxwell, and if it has a mac version.

What can you tell us w/o breaking NDA?

cresshead
02-11-2007, 11:52 PM
just had a look over on the forums..is worth the registration...there's some VERY nice renders over there!:hey:

T-Light
02-12-2007, 06:52 AM
9.2's released soon with all sorts of new goodies, how many of these are likely to be accessible through fry?

FPrime 3 is also out soon (after 9.2 release), although it isn't known just how many new features are going to be in it, how is this expected to compare to fry?. There's a lot of people that will be buying into or upgrading to FPrime 3 as a matter of course.

Sorry for the slightly negative post, After seeing some impressive stuff over in the beta forums over recent weeks, I'm not sure what sort of extra advantages fry is likely to bring.

+ Some of the renders on the fry site look a little noisy with some not showing enough shadow detail.

On the other hand I suppose, The more options for rendering the better :)

gjassin
02-12-2007, 04:12 PM
Fprime and FRY are so different and ,personally ,for different tasks.
Fprime has great advantages ,principally in short time for test textures,mapping,etc and why not ,for interior render where unbiassed as FRY or Maxwell needs much more and much more...specially for animation and don't forget hypervoxels also.
I'll never keep out Frime and I'll never keep out FRY ,I prefer to add great solutions as they are.
As FRY betatester I have improved to work with Fprime and FRY in the same open scene and no need to make changes for different purposes.
Worley has given and will give cool adds for LW and now Feversoft give us the possibility for an accurate high end quality .

gjassin
02-12-2007, 04:26 PM
yes this is my problem as well.

The results and description are very nice, but the lack of information as of yet and the closed forums really make it hard for me to get excited.

The one thing that would gain my interest is its price compared to maxwell, and if it has a mac version.

What can you tell us w/o breaking NDA?
Off course ,by the NDA me and all betatesters has signed about ...
Anyway and meanwhile it's on beta ,the forum's galleries and posts can offer an efficient approach to FRY's characteristics to have an idea and can download the pdf.features also

ken_g9
02-12-2007, 11:13 PM
Which of the images in the gallery are rendered with the Lightwave version? Looks real nice!

gjassin
02-13-2007, 09:01 AM
Up today,there are no LW images in the gallery .In a close time will be some.
But FRY is a stand alone engine ,and there's no different between different softwares results .Once you have exported the scene FRY gives what you have watched in the gallery

Iain
02-13-2007, 10:11 AM

I registered on the Feversoft site in the time it probably took you to type that.

Fry is very advanced over LW/FPrime and if 9.2 is going to equal what it offers (and what Maxwell has offered for a while) I'd be very, very surprised. No disrespect to Newtek-unbiased render engines are not included with any 3d app at the moment.

Saying that, only Viz work-and stills work at that-really gets the benefit of these render engines.

gjassin
02-13-2007, 10:24 AM
I agree with your words ,Iain.

Captain Obvious
02-13-2007, 10:36 AM
No disrespect to Newtek-unbiased render engines are not included with any 3d app at the moment.
Actually, Lightwave's standard renderer is unbiased (or rather, can be configured to be unbiased). Being unbiased just means that you get per-pixel variations instead of splotchiness. It doesn't necessarily mean, or even imply, that it's physically accurate.

FPrime is unbiased as well. Kray isn't, however, unless you set it to render in path tracing mode with no photon map.

Iain
02-15-2007, 02:30 AM
I stand corrected. It was the term used in this thread already and it has become the tag for these MLT algorithm renderers-and I suppose it's catchier too.

Captain Obvious
02-15-2007, 03:49 AM
The reason for that is probably that unbiased rendering is really unpractical unless you're going MLT or something such.

Iain
02-15-2007, 05:19 AM
Maxwell and Fry work to 'real' physics. You set the time of day and that's all.
No lighting setup, very little in the way of materials set up.
That's the difference.

Also Fry is still in early development compared to Maxwell but the testers seem to rate it much higher.

cresshead
02-15-2007, 05:59 AM
but fry renderer still have some amazing renders...some of which are only matched by maxwell

T-Light
02-15-2007, 06:20 AM
I don't tend to spend much time looking at these things as I don't really do any arch vis. Just had a quick look over at Maxwell and it does look incredible. Have also been very impressed by some recent images in the beta forums for kray.

Sooo...

How expensive are these alternate render engines?
FPrime $399
Maxwell 895
Fry ???
Kray ???

cresshead
02-15-2007, 06:58 AM
with those prices as a guide you can add in mental ray if you go get xsi fundamentals 6.0 and messiah workstation with it's renderer.

T-Light
02-15-2007, 10:22 AM
cresshead -

with those prices as a guide you can add in mental ray if you go get xsi fundamentals 6.0 and messiah workstation with it's renderer.
Jees Steve, are you now moonlighting for HM Gov's spin department :devil: :D
I've never seen such a heavily disguised answer, I'll ask my local MP for clarification, no wait, that's Blair :help:

:D :D :D

3dworks
02-15-2007, 11:44 AM
Maxwell and Fry work to 'real' physics. You set the time of day and that's all.
No lighting setup, very little in the way of materials set up.
That's the difference.

Also Fry is still in early development compared to Maxwell but the testers seem to rate it much higher.

well, it isn't *that* easy. it's a lot of work to get out a good picture even with those unbiased and physically based render engines, but the working paradigm changes.

the general approach is more like working in a real photo studio with a real camera and with real materials than to fake them and find all kind of 'tricks' to get things looking right. the key is that if you want to get excellent images you have to know about real life studio light setups. also for example, you have to know about how the optics of materials are working in reality. and - very impoprtant - you will have to model your stuff in real scale with much more accuracy than when modeling for traditional render engines. if you don't you'll get a crappy image even out of fry or maxwell. but assuming that an excellent 'traditional' CG artist is anyway headed into this directions, the setup of a scene is relatively simple. if it works in reality it works for the renderer.

i'm using maxwell together with LW for some months now and i would put it like this: the longer render times are easily compensated by a faster overall scene setup (less tweaking lights or materials for example) and the big vantage to get multiple light situations with one rendering (multilight rendering in maxwell). of course, LW with fprime or especially kray is equally an excellent solution when you need it fast or are doing animations. but for the 'ultimate' still render quality nothing in my studio compares to maxwell.

probably after the release of 9.2 a new, much enhanced version of the LW plugin for maxwell render will be released, so it might be interesting to get an updated look at it.

markus

ps. iain, it's easy to say testers are rating fry higher and such things... honestly it sounds like a slightly biased comment. ;)

cresshead
02-15-2007, 01:25 PM
cresshead -

Jees Steve, are you now moonlighting for HM Gov's spin department :devil: :D
I've never seen such a heavily disguised answer, I'll ask my local MP for clarification, no wait, that's Blair :help:

:D :D :D

eer...no.
no intention to drive people over to a different 3d app but to hi light the comparative costings of 'a renderer' or 'a plugin' compared to a full on animation system with renderer [messiah] or a full on 3d application with modeling, animation and rendering [xsi] also most of these render option can't cover all
needs and are really for specific tasks so are not a replacement but an addition.:lwicon:

T-Light
02-15-2007, 01:44 PM
Sorry Steve, really didn't mean it like that, It was meant in a humorous way
ie...

Q) How much is that loaf of bread?
A) Similar to this loaf of bread once you take into account baking costs, packaging, presentation and delivery.
:confused: :confused: :confused:

(I was looking for a '64p' type answer :) :thumbsup:

cresshead
02-15-2007, 03:05 PM
no probs!

gjassin
02-15-2007, 06:45 PM
What are we atalking about????
1)How FRY offer his product? with demo or not demo? For instance,as soon as the release be ready,a demo will be offer.
2)No one says that have to buy FRY without checking it previously ,there's an offer for pre-orders as many developters do.
3) Maxwell is Maxwell and FRY is FRY and only betatesters that have improved FRY can compare,not only with Next Limit RE ,Vray,Kray,etc.
4) In FRY's forum are recognized artists that shows the beta results that are so far to " sweet,candy or worst images"
5) It's to easy to talk about without improving ,so there's a great distance to objetive opinion.
6) FRY is a standalone product that works with 3DMax,Rhino,CD4 and is getting (under beta) ,excellent opinion from those users,so,FRY doesn't need to survive or something like that with LW ,it's another add to LW users and we are free to desire ,pre order,release or what you want ,but talking without knowledge only means something so far to an objetive and credible opinion.

Iain
02-16-2007, 02:24 AM
ps. iain, it's easy to say testers are rating fry higher and such things... honestly it sounds like a slightly biased comment. ;)

I agree with most of what you say Markus-I'm using Maxwell more and more for the shots that LW or Fprime just can't deliver. The setup time for these shots is negligible and hardly any thought is required. Ironically, I hate this. It's the opposite of what I love about viz work i.e. getting an ambience in my shots that is unique. But you can't argue with the results.

My comment about the testing is based mainly on the experience of the very level headed Fran Davey. She has been a great and reliable source of information on Maxwell and now tests (and prefers) Fry.
I believe what she says as she is technically competent as well as artistically able.
Glass is the main area where Fry seems ahead of Maxwell but many of the testers seem to see something more promising from the customer relations angle if nothing else. This is, of course, old ground but with a new product, support is vitally important.

gjassin
02-16-2007, 07:25 AM
dear gjassin,
you did say it "It's to easy to talk about without improving it"
Fry is beta, they want money to let beta-test it...,

dear Pagnozzi,

I only can refer to what I'm improving as betatester ,specially for LW plug.According to that ,I point to those people that talk about FRY's characteristics without knowledge of this render engine.As soon as the demo be available (at same time as the release1 be ready) all opinion can be more accurate .
Do you consider wrong that people can buy a preorder at half price?
Have you read negative opinions from people that bought the pre order?
Do you know the risk ,to offer something that is wrong or not serious ?
Feversoft ,not only offer FRYrender,they are developters of other products as VR engines,Hand tracking systems,etc ...so can this enterprice make that mistake?I think that they know what they do.