PDA

View Full Version : Tutorials, Tips and workflows: Developing modeling skills

tonybliss
02-09-2007, 11:29 PM
This thread seeks to and only seeks to HELP 3d artist of ALL levels develop their modeling skills. Please keep it on topic and clean. My first contribution to this thread is this tutorial that was done by me for my class(old class). I asked them what they wanted to model, two people said an elephant. so I had one of the students (victoria gour) draw two orthographic sketches for the class to use in the exercise.
Now I share it with you... it is mostly complete and it is a semi cartoon elephant that teaches ONE workflow process in creating such a character.

Again please only make post, comments that will help end viewers. Leave all else behind.

Cartoon Elephant Tutorial
The link (I can't for whatever reason upload the file to NT server, if any one would like to host this file for easy access lemme know )

PDF
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=OYCACPO3

files
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=RLC9IKXG

tonybliss
02-09-2007, 11:39 PM
my second contribution to the thread. It is in DOC format will allow anyone to add to or modify it.

This technique is great for creating random poly grass, tree leaves, redundant placement of items such as doors and windows in architectural visualization, and setting up multiple items for Boolean, drill operations.

It basically deals with quick placement of objects using points as a locater. Also covered briefly is the Array tool.

tonybliss
02-09-2007, 11:57 PM
To constraint* geometry in Modeler you can hold the Control/CTRL key while creating or modifying points or polygons. Alternatively you can use the Middle Mouse Button to do the same thing. IMHO it is more efficient to do so. Work with what you are comfortable with.

*constraint in LW modeler - constraining simply refers to 1. keeping any single/multiple point, polygon or whole object in its axis when moving it or scaling it; and 2. allow the fluid creation of a standard primitive, meaning when any of the constraint methods are used with the sphere tool, box tool, etc, it 'forces' the object to make a square box/cube with equal sides as opposed to a rectangular cuboid for example, in simple terms it keeps all sides proportional.

liquidpope
02-10-2007, 12:09 AM
It's a PITA to look at this stuff, so I'm not doing it.
I bet I'm not the only one.

liquidpope
02-10-2007, 12:33 AM
I didn't mean to be a jerk. It's just that the Megaupload thing is more than a tad inconvenient.
Why can't you post the files directly? Are they too big, or the wrong format?
Maybe I (or somebody) can help you convert them, break them up, whatever.

tonybliss
02-10-2007, 12:42 AM
Its NT server issue but I will try to use one of my available servers to put it up soon. It is a pdf file 3 megs big. NT states 5mb limit but no success ... again anyissues pm me ....
I realllllllllllly wanted to keep the thread clean ... really ... Bof!!!

erich
02-10-2007, 01:04 AM
How do you get the pdf file? I am unable (or don't know how to) to download it from the site!

erich
02-10-2007, 01:23 AM
Never mind. I figured it out. Boy is that one annoying site. Remind me never to use it!

DogBoy
02-10-2007, 02:44 AM
Cool, thanks for great tute. Very clear and thought out.

colkai
02-10-2007, 03:22 AM
Whilst I agree that MegaUpload can be a MegaPITA, it's always the case if one needs to upload a file outside of Newteks limits.
It is not the fault of the author if he cannot provide his own serverspace and has to rely on freespace, which always comes with some form of "penalty".

My webspace is very limited, so I know how he feels.

That should in no way detract from the service he is providing and it's only right to show appreciation for that.

I have managed to get the PDF, but attempting to get te hfiles jsut gave me a d/load exceeded message.
Of course LiquidPope, if you know of a better free server, why not let everyone know?

Matt
02-10-2007, 08:09 AM
Back on topic ...

One tip for sub-d modelling is to draw the model and poly flow before you start in Modeler, that way you can plan your steps and hopefully avoid any problems.

liquidpope
02-10-2007, 08:31 AM
Why use a free server at all?
If it's worth doing, it's worth doing right.

tonybliss
02-10-2007, 10:42 AM
Please keep it focus. Again I redid the thread to keep it focused, putting fun aside for YOU guys. !! Chingalo !!

parm
02-10-2007, 11:15 AM
Never mind. I figured it out. Boy is that one annoying site. Remind me never to use it!

Would you care to share how?

colkai
02-10-2007, 11:30 AM
It first asks you to enter the verification code, then counts down 45 seconds, after that, you can click to download the file on the 'download' now' button and it'll start the download.

You can't right click save-as though.

cresshead
02-10-2007, 11:47 AM
and it throws up a pop up ad for poker behind your browser....
yuk!

borkus
02-10-2007, 04:05 PM
nice tut cgswami. always appreciated when someone tries to help the newbies. looks like you put a lot of time and effort into it. thanks again