PDA

View Full Version : A Little Off Topic but it is good to Know about this.....

zapper1998
02-09-2007, 03:24 PM
REMINDER ..11 days from today, all cell phone numbers are being released to telemarketing companies and you will start to receive sales calls......YOU WILL BE CHARGED FOR THESE CALLS

To prevent this, call the following number from your cell phone : 888-382-1222 .
It is the National DO NOT CALL list. It will only take a minute of your time.
It blocks your number for five (5) years.
You must call from the cell phone number you are wanting to have blocked .
You cannot call from a different phone number.

HELP OTHERS BY PASSING THIS ON TO ALL YOUR FRIENDS
OR GO TO: www.donotcall.gov

Just a little Info here

Michael

calilifestyle
02-09-2007, 04:29 PM
thnx i was trying to figure the time line for this and the website made it easy ... i just hope this is really the right place hehe and not some guy trying to get my number.

UnCommonGrafx
02-09-2007, 04:41 PM
It is true.

THANK YOU for passing this on, Michael. I'm on the list. Take care and this has been greatly appreciated.

zapper1998
02-09-2007, 06:01 PM
yep its the right web site

been to the web site when it first came out..

MooseDog
02-09-2007, 06:02 PM
very! cool heads-up.

just registered my two numbers. ahhh, peace and quiet :)

Cageman
02-10-2007, 01:03 AM
How the **** can a telemarketing company call YOU and make YOU pay for it?

ercaxus
02-10-2007, 01:40 AM
How the **** can a telemarketing company call YOU and make YOU pay for it?
Haha, awesome response :) Things work a little different in USA when it comes to cellphones. If you have a cellphone and you get a call you still pay, just like you would pay when calling someone, unless you have free minutes for the call and this is a special situation like having the same service provider, or special family plan etc. So if those guys call you, you lose money.

androidmaker
02-10-2007, 02:31 AM
what I have always wanted to do is, when i get a sales call I would ask the name of the caller and the company with mailing address and them tell them I will send the company a bill for the use of my telephone equipment and my time as a consultent (at $500.00 pr hour - 10 hour min).

kopperdrake
02-10-2007, 02:55 AM
That is horrendous! how on earth could the government over there let a law be passed like that? i think my phone would end up in the nearest canal if that happened over here :/

T-Light
02-10-2007, 06:03 AM
I had a call the other year from O2's Indian marketing branch, the s*ds had left a voice message so it cost me 10p. OK, it's not the end of the world, but they called at 5:30 in the morning and I had to run around the house looking for the bl**dy phone thinking it must be a family emergency or something.

Got a new phone for christmas (on O2), first thing I did was switch off voice mail :thumbsup:

Back to the original point, US citizens really get a crappy deal when it comes to their rights from the major corporates, doesn't just seem to be limited to the phone companies. :thumbsdow

radams
02-10-2007, 06:46 AM
Hi All,

For those Not living in North America...welcome to our reality...Cell phones get charged both to make and recieve...

Don't get me started on the US government's screw ups.

It will take some huge consumer movement to force things to change...and at this time I don't see that happening. People now spend 1000% more on phone services (cell) than what we used to with regular land lines...but it has become so fixed in our culture now...many don't even have main home numbers anymore...just cell.

And many don't even think of the real costs...crazy...

Cheers,

Dave Jerrard
02-10-2007, 07:20 AM
I refuse to ever get a cell phone. This whole bit of BS about having to sign up for a one or two year commitment was the first turnoff. If their service is so good, why do they feel the need to trap people into such long term commitments. I call that the screw-you clause.

Then they charge you MORE to cancel the service than they do to get you hooked up. Sounds like a page out of the drug pushers business model, right down to getting you 'hooked' up.

He Who Doesn't Understand All The Hype About These Things - They're Phones!

Lightwolf
02-10-2007, 07:36 AM
For those Not living in North America...welcome to our reality...Cell phones get charged both to make and recieve...

No sh*t, ey? Wow, this is strange. And I thought huge roaming charges were as bad as it gets...

Cheers,
Mike (I hope you don't get charged for my post then.... ;) ).

T-Light
02-10-2007, 08:09 AM
Dave Jerrard -

I refuse to ever get a cell phone. This whole bit of BS about having to sign up for a one or two year commitment was the first turnoff. If their service is so good, why do they feel the need to trap people into such long term commitments. I call that the screw-you clause.
I thought you could get 'Pay as You Go' over there? Couple of friends were in New York recently and bought $100 credit on a new sim, I think my mom's on something similar from (Bell South ???).

There was a cell phone expert on the radio a few years back, he writes for magazine's and TV on the technology and the tarrifs. He swore by pay as you go and refused to go anywhere near any kind of 'pay monthly' or contract.

I'm with him, I always pay extra for the phone and put money on as neccessary, my phones last me years and I rarely spend more than £10-£20 a year on calls :thumbsup:

Cageman
02-10-2007, 08:13 AM
Here in Sweden, you can buy a cellphone for a redicilous low amount of money, if you agree to have a 1-year contract with one of the telecom corporates. Or, you can choose to pay alot more for the phone, either select one of the corporates or go for something called "Contant-card". This allows you to put money on this card, and that money is used when calling someone. So, you can never call for more money than what you have deposited. Great if you have kids/teenagers that would benefit using a cellphone. They can never spend more money than what you as a parent have deposited on that account.

For several years I've been using this and it can really cut costs alot!

EDIT: You can, of course, call 112 (the same as 911 in USA) without any money on the "Contant-card".

Cageman
02-10-2007, 08:20 AM
I also heard something about free calls with cells here in Sweden. Wether or not it is true, I don't know.

The idea was that every 1 minute you and the person you talk to will be interrupted by a commercial lasting 5-10 sec. *LOL*

T-Light
02-10-2007, 08:25 AM
Cageman -

Or, you can choose to pay alot more for the phone, either select one of the corporates or go for something called "Contant-card".
Same as us, It's 'pay as you go' here. Well actually it has a few titles from different vendors but they're all amount to the same thing :)

DogBoy
02-10-2007, 08:28 AM
Ooh, free calls would be good. Pity I'm on pay as you go :thumbsdow

evenflcw
02-10-2007, 08:46 AM
Interesting discussion. For the country that put the c in capitalism the US doesn't seem to have a very evolved or healthy market (where the rights and obligations of all parties are well balanced). But I guess that's also why capitalisms has such a bad ring in many peoples ears (It really shouldn't have). It seems that they in the US care more about the rights of the companies to sell anything to anyone, anyplace at anytime, rather then the rights of the consumer to choose for herself when she's open for offers. Ie has the right to lead her own life, and if she so chooses she should not have to be bothered with product offers.

That caller and receiver should pay for the same call might work great in theory. After all both are sharing the same service. But it obviously might not work that great in practice, considering how the caller-receiver model must(?) look. The caller must request to talk to the receiver, and this inevitable means he has to call upon the receivers attention. So the unwanted caller will always annoy the receiver. Considering the American cell phone model, you should have a 15 second hangup window where you could hang up without having paying for the call or something. Unfortunately business rarely give away anything for free.

I now understand better some of the, in my mind, unsound policies on this very (US) forum.

Dave Jerrard
02-10-2007, 09:05 AM
If you want to get an idea of how bad things can get, I really recomment watching the documentary, "The Corporation". That thing's an eye opener.

He Who Does Just Fine Without A Cell Phone.

Surrealist.
02-10-2007, 09:50 AM
Thanks for the tip. :)

Riff_Masteroff
02-10-2007, 01:18 PM
Evenflcw wrote: "It seems that they in the US care more about the rights of the companies . . . "

Representative Democracy works differently in the United States. Its really all about legal interpretation (verses common sense interpretation) of the US constitution.

Here in the United States corporations (also known as property, ficticious people, entities) are legally considered each to be a person. As such, a corportation enjoys the constitutional RIGHT to lobby (petition the congress) and the RIGHT of free speech (to purchase the actions of the congress, judges, regulators and those in federal government who award contracts). Corporations in the United States even consider themselves to be citizens.

Effectually, living & breathing citizens have no way of getting their voice heard in the federal government. For example, those who wish to be placed on a voting ballot must first get the financial endorsement of fictitious people (corporations).

Congress, the judicial system, and government officials listen very carefully (with open pockets) to their constituents. Little is heard (no payments, no private jet travel, no vacations, no promises of highly paid employment) from individuals who are actually alive. Therefore their voices are mostly not heard.

On the other hand, corporations who own the cell phone networks utilize some of the money paid by living & breathing citizens of the United States to purchase (legally, of course) legislation that is dead-on against the interests of the consumer.

And when our government speaks of "democracy", this is the setup we wish the whole world to have.

Riff

radams
02-10-2007, 01:33 PM
Well Hi again,

From Greedy US land....(at least for Cells)

We do have a pay as you go...but you have little choices in the phones...and it is VERY expensive per minute...sometimes 10 times as much per minute vs a contract...and you still get charged when someone calls you....

The only time that Pay as you go works here is if you use Cells very little...or if your friends that you call are using the same carrier...then you get reduced rates...or is free.

It really is a business model to make cash..cash...cash...
Thou understand that the costs of mobiles have come down in the US...but people are using them more and having larger bills at the end of the month...

Something else here in the US....people and our consumerizm is based on a per month charges...So now people are accepting paying $50 - $100 dollars or more per month as just another monthly bill... People here gauge their finances on what it cost per month...for everything....not what are the actuall total costs. So this gives a very wrong reality of what we are really paying and using.

Thou I do need to state that for land line broadband...the US was the first to keep it as a single monthly charge...where in Switzerland at least you originally had to pay per minute....but fortunately that changed....to a monthly fee...

My hope is that Cell phones and all will take a more Internet model approach and just make things a SINGLE monthly access fee...then allow you the userbase to use it as much or as little as you want...

Cheers,

Medi8or
02-10-2007, 02:08 PM
I really recomment watching the documentary, "The Corporation". That thing's an eye opener.Normally I would ignore such a statement, but when it comes from you...

Here in Norway, they are discussing a ban on telemarketing. Since the lefties are in charge at the moment, it will probably go through. :thumbsup: :D

iconoclasty
02-10-2007, 02:11 PM
Just to clarify: You don't necessarily need to pay for incoming calls. It just depends on the phone company. Mine, for instance, gives me free incoming calls and texts.

zapper1998
02-10-2007, 02:17 PM
Some more Information a friend sent me.....

If you’ve received an e-mail telling you that your cell phone is about to be assaulted by telemarketing calls as a result of a new cell phone number database, rest assured that this is not the case. Telemarketing to cell phone numbers has always been illegal in most cases and will continue to be so. In response to recent e-mail campaigns urging consumers to place their cell phone numbers on the National Do Not Call Registry, the Federal Trade Commission and Federal Communications Commission issue this advisory to give consumers the facts.

One e-mail making the rounds says:

“JUST A REMINDER...In a few weeks, cell phone numbers are being released to telemarketing companies and you will start to receive sale calls. YOU WILL BE CHARGED FOR THESE CALLS... To prevent this, call the following number from your cell phone: 888-382-1222. It is the National DO NOT CALL list. It will only take a minute of your time. It blocks your number for five (5) years. PASS THIS ON TO ALL YOUR FRIENDS...”

Another version claims:

“The Federal Trade Commission has set up a "do not call" list. It is called a cell phone registry. To be included on the "do not call" list, you must call from the number you wish to register.”

Here’s what you need to know about the National Do Not Call Registry program:

FCC regulations prohibit telemarketers from using automated dialers to call cell phone numbers. Automated dialers are standard in the industry, so most telemarketers are barred from calling consumers on their cell phones without their consent.

The federal government does not maintain a national cell phone registry. Personal cell phone users have always been able to add their numbers to the National Do Not Call Registry — the same Registry consumers use to register their land lines — either online at www.donotcall.gov or by calling toll-free 1-888-382-1222 from the telephone number they wish to register. Registrations become effective within 31 days of signing up and are active for five years. There is no cut-off date or deadline for registrations.

Business-to-business calls are not covered under the Registry.

http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2005/04/dnc.htm

Cageman
02-10-2007, 02:19 PM
I just realized that used the Swedish term for "Pay as you go"... What I wanted to use was 'cash-card', not 'contant' because there isn't any word in English that I know about called "contant"... or is it? Oh well, I gather you did get my point in my earlier messages though... but it is abit embarrasing to do such a typo! :o

Sande
02-10-2007, 02:39 PM
REMINDER ..11 days from today, all cell phone numbers are being released to telemarketing companies and you will start to receive sales calls......YOU WILL BE CHARGED FOR THESE CALLS

To prevent this, call the following number from your cell phone : 888-382-1222 ...

Heh, at first I thought of this as some really stupid spam to get innocent people to call some expensive scamline - and no one would fall for that one! I guess I was wrong...

I'm glad I wasn't the first to notice your thread though - I would have really made a fool out of myself... :D

gatz
02-10-2007, 03:42 PM
For the folks outside of the US. Here's another head scratcher. Our no-call lists are reserved for telemarketing. but there are exemptions. If they are a company that has an "existing" relationship with you, ie you USED to be a customer. Or...you guessed it... they are a political candidate. So we can legally be hit up for contributions and solications to renew our cellular contracts.

rg