PDA

View Full Version : many surfs..which is which?

Johnny
02-09-2007, 02:01 PM
I am surfacing a model I created about 2 months ago. this model has *many* surfaces on it...I'd estimate about 30 or so unique surfaces.

I named them as descriptively as I could, and colored them in a way as to stand out from each other, but now that I'm getting into fine-tuning the beast, it's a laborious effort of trial-and-error to see which surf name corresponds to which part of my model so that I can then work on it.

anyone have a trick to make the process easier of figuring out which surf name corresponds to a given part of a model?

I guess I can isolate in modeler, and find out that way, but maybe there's a more efficient method?

thank you!

J

prospector
02-09-2007, 02:26 PM
hit the '+' sign in the poly stats panel "W". select surface hit + and they get selected and hilight on model

Medi8or
02-09-2007, 03:09 PM
I usually slide Luminosity up to 100%, and see pretty quickly in the viewport which surface it is...

prospector
02-09-2007, 03:17 PM
Was gonna say that, but it dosen't select them, which is what I think he was after.

art
02-09-2007, 03:22 PM
I created a modeler plugin once that highlights the surface that is currently selected in a modeler viewport.
Perhaps with the new SDK this can be done in layout too. I didn't have time to look. It would be nice if Newtek provided a tool that allows selecting a surface in surface editor by simply clicking on it in one of the viewports.

toonafish
02-09-2007, 04:41 PM
make a Viper render.

When you then click on a surface in the Viper window it will be selected in the Surface panel.

alifx
02-09-2007, 04:45 PM
I created a modeler plugin once that highlights the surface that is currently selected in a modeler viewport.

sounds great, can we ? :D :D :D

art
02-12-2007, 06:53 AM
sounds great, can we ? :D :D :D
For what it is worth, its on my website (under my profile). I have not tested it under LW9.x to be honest.

Toonafish, great tip, thanks!