PDA

View Full Version : Host with fastest or slowest CPU ?

JohnKocon
02-09-2007, 11:19 AM
I have taken my first step into LWSN to try and eak out a few more frames per second in the time allotted- Currently I have 3 boxes on my network- a G5 quad core, a Intel dual core laptop, and a G4. I setup the fastest machine as host, (because it's my main machine) but noticed that its rendering times were a few seconds longer rendering on LWSN than when I had it rendering out of LW by itself. Is this because it is spending CPU power on hosting duties? Or does it just make more sense to wait until I can add a few more (faster) nodes to my net?
Thanks for your thoughts....

avkills
02-11-2007, 07:55 PM
I'd use the slowest machine to host; and have it just do that. Use the muscle for rendering.

-mark

mlinde
02-12-2007, 07:33 PM
I agree with avkills, but I would possibly also set the G4 up to render. If you set up your scene to render with one thread, and launch multiple versions of LWSN on each machine (one for each CPU core) you can get a lot of power going.

My suggested setting assumes your G4 is a dual proc machine:
HOST: G4
LWSN-0: G4 (maybe)
LWSN-1: G5
LWSN-2: G5
LWSN-3: G5
LWSN-4: G5
LWSN-5: MacBook
LWSN-6: MacBook (maybe)

This will get you the most processing power on a mac network, since many 3PP plug-ins aren't multi-threaded, and using the multi-thread option in render settings won't get you as much as using each processor as a render node.

JohnKocon
02-26-2007, 10:26 AM
Kudos to mlinde!!!!- I've setup my G5 with 4 nodes running simultaneously and it really screams along- the only difference from your recommendation is the multi-thread setting- I've noticed better performance with multithreading over single thread.

Thank you so much for your input!