PDA

View Full Version : max 2 LW

titane357
02-09-2007, 02:16 AM
Is there easy bridge between max and LW (LW -> max and reverse ) ?

millsron
02-11-2007, 03:56 PM
I would like to know if there is a way to get max files into LW as well. I can't find any reference in the manual. Am I overlooking something...is there another way?

Thanks
Ron Mills

Red_Oddity
02-11-2007, 04:15 PM
http://www.ef9.com/ef9/PO1.5/PointOven_15.html

depending on what you want to throw between the 2 packages offcourse.

mj418
02-11-2007, 04:16 PM
Well, if you want to go to the expense, there's Right Hemisphere's Deep Exploration CAD edition. What I do is simply load the max file into it, and then save out as .lwo. Takes just a couple minutes, and the conversion is flawless, but Deep Exploration CAD is rather expensive.

voriax
02-11-2007, 04:29 PM
I think the only well-known solution is PolyTrans.
http://www.okino.com/default.htm

Otherwise, export max objects as .obj or .3ds or .dxf and import them into LW.

I dont think there's any method of a straight swap from a Max scene to a LW scene.

Stooch
02-11-2007, 04:32 PM
stay away from polytransh. deep exploration will do what you need and cost a fraction of the price. I regularly convert max objects for both maya and LW use.

cresshead
02-11-2007, 04:48 PM
fbx?
no one tried that?...
i use obj for just moving max models over to lw..i usually attatch all the bits to make one model mesh so there's no transform issues then split to layers in lw.

AbnRanger
02-11-2007, 06:04 PM
fbx?
no one tried that?...
i use obj for just moving max models over to lw..i usually attatch all the bits to make one model mesh so there's no transform issues then split to layers in lw.
Yeah...agreed. I've been exporting Max meshes (making sure to turn off Turbo Smooth beforehand) to OBJ, and Lightwave opens them up fine.

Lone Angel
02-24-2007, 12:27 PM
Is there easy bridge between max and LW (LW -> max and reverse ) ?
There's no easy way I'm afraid. I've more than year experience of dealing with Max<->LW file exchanging issues -- our art-pipeline uses LWO as internal intermediate format but much of the modeling is still done in Max.

Of course, OBJ (and later FBX) was tried as "easy way", but that simply didn't work -- OBJ format has several limitations that make it practically unusable for "serious" models (only one image per material, only one UV-set per material etc.) About FBX -- there's still issues even during Max/Maya exchange though both apps are from the same company.

3D Exploration was tried too. Sometimes it works fine, sometimes it produces strange glitches in materials and smoothing.

So we ended up by developing custom export plugin for Max which was recently released as separate product (http://www.firevector.com/firevector-products.html) -- so this post is kinda advertisement :)

Speaking seriously, Max-to-LW export usually has two major problems: smoothing groups and multi-materials (multi-subobject); some material params also can be pain in the ### (shininess/specular is really muddled in Max).

radams
02-24-2007, 12:38 PM
Hi Lone Angel,

This looks interesting...but unfortunately it requires Max to use it....

For me I don't have Max inhouse at the moment...and will be looking to do conversions with just LW on a system...

We are also looking at needing conversions from 3D dwgs
and now conversions into and out of Solidworks/AutoCad.

Cheers,

cresshead
02-24-2007, 12:44 PM
There's no easy way I'm afraid. I've more than year experience of dealing with Max<->LW file exchanging issues -- our art-pipeline uses LWO as internal intermediate format but much of the modeling is still done in Max.

Of course, OBJ (and later FBX) was tried as "easy way", but that simply didn't work -- OBJ format has several limitations that make it practically unusable for "serious" models (only one image per material, only one UV-set per material etc.) About FBX -- there's still issues even during Max/Maya exchange though both apps are from the same company.

3D Exploration was tried too. Sometimes it works fine, sometimes it produces strange glitches in materials and smoothing.

So we ended up by developing custom export plugin for Max which was recently released as separate product (http://www.firevector.com/firevector-products.html) -- so this post is kinda advertisement :)

Speaking seriously, Max-to-LW export usually has two major problems: smoothing groups and multi-materials (multi-subobject); some material params also can be pain in the ### (shininess/specular is really muddled in Max).

nice website only one verty small detail is missing...

price...how do you on this planet expect people to give credit card details without knowing the P.R.I.C.E!

cresshead
02-24-2007, 12:46 PM
also when will the max 9.0 version be available and will that be a free upgrade from this version or not?

cresshead
02-24-2007, 12:49 PM
for those who are wndering about the price... i went thru and pushed some rubbish email etc JUST so i could actually find the price....stupid website...please sort that out?!

GGGGRRRRRRR!...:thumbsdow ...THATS' FOR THE LACK OF DETAILS ON PRICING...THE PLUGIN MAYBE FANTASTIC...BUT ONLY IF IT WILL BE AVAILABLE FOR MAX9.0 AND IN FUTURE RELEASES..IE MAX 10.

Firevector Atmoweld 1.0 (3D Studio Max plug-in)
This plug-in allows 3D Studio MAX to export geometric data to LightWave Object Files (LWO). 42.94 GBP
42.94 GBP

ALSO WOULD BE NICE FOR A LWO LOADER FOR MAX...2 WAY STREET N ALL THAT STUFF...THERE USED TO BE A LWO
LOADER AROUND MAX 4 BUT NOT AFTER MAX 5...TEAH..I'M SHOUTING...STILL FUMING FROM THE LACK OF PRICING!:D

Lone Angel
02-24-2007, 10:52 PM
Hi Lone Angel,
This looks interesting...but unfortunately it requires Max to use it....

This can't be helped, because only 3DMax can read/write .max files -- it's a non (public) documented format. So you have to have 3DMax installed to deal with .max-files -- using Max itself or 3DExploration (which uses Max via DCOM).

For those who interested in Max9 version -- it actually exists and working, but wasn't included in current release due to some issues with protection. AFAIK it's planned to be included in 1.1, with free upgrade from 1.0 of course. Farther Max versions also will be supported.

The importer is in active development and also planned to be included in 1.1.

cresshead
02-25-2007, 12:03 AM
cool, once 1.1 available i'll be getting this as making it for max9.0 and having an imorter would be great [i've calmed down now!]
and would mean i won't have to keep max 4.2 floating around on an old pc just for importing lwo objects!

jin choung
02-27-2007, 02:49 AM
just wanted to drop a note that you do not need deepexploration CAD version to do max conversions.

but you do need max.

as for FLAWLESS, SEAMLESS transfers from one package to another such that it is ready to render upon conversion... i've never seen it yet.

smoothing groups, materials, all kinds of stuff usually needs to be tweaked by hand and cleaned up after the fact.

if that custom plugin can do a flawless transfer at 45pounds, that's a bargain... but yah, you do need max.

autodesk is and fing byotch when it comes to proprietary mumbojumbo... (and pricing)... [shaking my fist]....

jin

cresshead
02-27-2007, 03:35 AM
if anyone needs the 'occasional' max file exporting drop me an email.
and i can save as obj, 3ds,fbx etc.

pixelranger
02-27-2007, 04:57 AM
I too allways use obj for exchanging models from lw to max, but if they're animated we use Point Oven here at work. It works exellent.
Mostly we use it between Maya and LightWave but it works well with max aswell.
Once I actually had to export a horse animation from Maya to LightWave to do cloth sim in LW (go figure!?!) and then export the cloth back to maya and apply it to the original horse animation. Don't know how I would have done it without Point Oven. (well, maybe a little more patience with syflex or, now, nCloth would have saved me the trouble) but there and then lw and Point Oven saved our day.

tyrot
03-11-2007, 01:25 AM
dear loneangel

is there any news on the second part (1.1) ..LWO 2 MAX ? and will it support LWS as well? basic bone - morph- vertex animation?

Dear cresshead

We are about to license an engine which support only MAX for animation?

What is the best way to convert LWS animations (basic weapon animations) in to MAX?

Or would you suggest to make the animations in MAX?

best

jin choung
03-11-2007, 03:00 AM
i think the lw 2 maya app only gets animation transferred between apps through .mdd files right? if that's true, then every animation is composed of a bunch of vertex deformation recordings and those files get quite large.

may be ok if you're working on a movie or tv thing but probably not the way to go for something like a game.

in any case, it would probably be less heart-ache to do such simple animations inside max.

jin

mav3rick
03-11-2007, 03:25 AM
dear jin choung

yes max sux :)

mythek1
03-11-2007, 08:55 AM
I've joined this thread a bit late but if it's of any use I use 'Biturn' to convert Max files to lightwave files. It's completely free and gives you a preview of the object before conversion.

Biturn (http://mirex.mypage.sk/index.php?selected=1)

Lone Angel
03-13-2007, 02:10 AM
dear loneangel

is there any news on the second part (1.1) ..LWO 2 MAX ?

It's being developed. Sorry, but I can't tell more than that. I really hate to wait promised features/app for months after they're annouced and I know most people hate that too. So we prefer do not give any empty promises.

and will it support LWS as well? basic bone - morph- vertex animation?

It wasn't planned for 1.1.
Actually the import/export possible only for very easy animations. I used to write some MAXscripts for exporting simple animations to LWS and I can tell you should be very careful in doing animation in MAX to be successfully exported/used in LW. The same can be said about getting LW-animation into MAX -- only the simple animations can be imported smoothly.

For transferring animations I can sugggest PointOven -- it's not perfect solution, but at least it can do what you need (depending on what exactly do you need).