PDA

View Full Version : Help with .MAX files

jeffmun
02-19-2003, 01:58 PM
Hi. I am a research psychologist studying children with autism and I need to convert some .MAX files to Lightwave objects. I use Lightwave and have no access to Studio Max or a converter that will handle .MAX files. These files are a series of objects called "greebles" used in various kinds of memory research. The following is a link to Dr. Tarr's work and a stuffit archive containing the .MAX files of the greebles and various renderings in TIFF format. (http://www.cog.brown.edu/~tarr/stimuli.html#gr)

I have emailed Dr. Tarr and he is currently unable to do the conversion.

The group I work with is trying to better understand how people with autism process the visual information presented by faces. These greebles serve as control stimuli that are novel but have some features that are similar to faces.

Can anyone help me get these saved as .LWO files?

Thanks,
Jeff Munson, PhD
Autism Research Group
University of Washington
Seattle, WA

hrgiger
02-19-2003, 02:29 PM
Currently, I don't believe there is way in Lightwave to convert the .max files to a .lwo. If you can in Max, get the file converted to a .3ds file or a .obj maybe.
I'm pretty sure there are applications out there to do file conversions, polytrans being one of them. I'm pretty sure it's quite expensive though.

TerryFord
02-19-2003, 05:49 PM
If no one here can help (sorry I don't have Max), you might want to try asking over here for someone to convert them to .3ds objects which LW can load. You might loose any animation in them though (Max/3ds formats can be entire scenes with animation, or single objects).

http://www.cgtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=6

.Max is a really poor choice for objects intended for a variety of software, IIRC even converters require Max to be installed in order to read the file (because of the modifier stack - a loader would need to have all the functionality of Max's modeling tools). It might be a good idea to convert the archive to .zip as well.

Regards,
Terry

mkiii
04-15-2003, 02:16 PM
Deep Exploration from Right-Hemisphere *will* convert .Max files to .LWO & vice versa. Unfortunately it requires you to have a licensed copy of 3dsMax on your machine.

If the files are not too huge - 2mb or less - I'll convert them for you. Just drop me a line.

Lamont
04-15-2003, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by mkiii
Deep Exploration from Right-Hemisphere *will* convert .Max files to .LWO & vice versa. Unfortunately it requires you to have a licensed copy of 3dsMax on your machine.

If the files are not too huge - 2mb or less - I'll convert them for you. Just drop me a line. Also for Deep Exploration to work, the stack has to be collapsed.

mkiii
04-16-2003, 04:40 AM
I'm only concerned about the size because of email limits. I have Max 5 & LW 7.5, so I can do the conversion via a .3ds file.

Max files are *such* a pain. ;/