PDA

View Full Version : New LightWave Profile and Video Interview

Kurtis
02-08-2007, 01:01 PM
New LightWave Profile:

Interview with Dave Jerrard, VFX Artist
February 08, 2007

Dave Jerrard is known to many that frequent CG forums, for his work, his helpful advice, and his habit of coming up with unique signature lines for each and every post that start with "He who..." Widely regarded as an expert on the subject, Dave Jerrard can truly be described as one of the first users of LightWave 3D. Over his 17-year career in the animation industry, his work has been featured on television and in film and he's served as the author of a number of magazine articles and books on the subject. We recently talked to Dave about his history with LightWave and in the industry.

Full profile... (http://www.lightwave3d.com/profiles/DaveJerrard)

New LightWave Video Interview:

Interview with LightWave artists Dave Jerrard and Jennifer Hachigian
http://www.lightwave3d.com/videos.php

T-Light
02-08-2007, 01:59 PM
Only ever seen one of Dave's models before, If I remember right it was an endoscope. But WHAT an endoscope :D :thumbsup:

Fantastic, beautifully detailed work.
Thanks Kurtis.

Bog
02-08-2007, 02:14 PM
While I was modeling and texturing these, my wife worked on the rig and some expressions to get them to walk automatically.

Dave, I really, really hope you realise how gorram blessed you are. That's just beautiful beyond words. Suns are born and die, planets coalesce and are destroyed, but a marriage like that....

*sighs*

You lucky, lucky dog, Sir.

Cageman
02-08-2007, 02:53 PM
One thing I reacted on regarding the video was that Jennifer didn't mention The Guardian when she was talking about the way LightWave 9 can handle massive amounts of polygons/object sequences. I think it is interesting, because she did put up a fight about how 3D World didn't mention LightWave in their article about The Guardian. IMHO, the other way around is as important, especially if NT want to use this as marketing.

colkai
02-09-2007, 03:53 AM
Dave, I really, really hope you realise how gorram blessed you are. That's just beautiful beyond words. Suns are born and die, planets coalesce and are destroyed, but a marriage like that....

*sighs*

You lucky, lucky dog, Sir.

Ain't he though?
Of course, downside is, he's normally always within whupin' distance if he gets too snarky :p ;)

My wife just sorta rolls her eyes and gives me the "off he goes again" if I try to engage her in anything with a 3D related topic.
What's worse is, now she's into family tree, she keeps bootin' me off the computer!

Good job I love her. :p

I must do, it's our Silver anniversary this year, I'm gonna be away from my computer for a full week! Hows that for love and devotion? hehe... :devil: :hey:

TylerZambori
02-09-2007, 10:39 AM
Ain't he though?
Of course, downside is, he's normally always within whupin' distance if he gets too snarky :p ;)

My wife just sorta rolls her eyes and gives me the "off he goes again" if I try to engage her in anything with a 3D related topic.
What's worse is, now she's into family tree, she keeps bootin' me off the computer!

At least you don't have to put up with endless discussions about evolution
and intelligent design. That's my significant other's main hobby.

colkai
02-09-2007, 12:36 PM
Hehe, I feel your pain, though I know far too much about her family history than I really need to or want to.

(Not that I'd dare say that of course ;) :p)

Dave Jerrard
02-10-2007, 06:36 AM
Thanks for the kind words!

I met Celshader in 1998, when the first LightWave Applied book was released (the very same day in fact), when I was in LA for a book signing. She talked my ear off about celshading all day that day. It's interesting that we actually grew up only about a three hour drive apart, but we met about 3000 miles from home.

She landed a job a couple months later, and moved out to LA, and a few months later, I got scooped up and moved out to Valencia. I gave her a call about a week after I got there, and we ended up hanging out everywhere since. And she's been talking my ear off about celshading, dynamics, anime, etc. ever since!

And I can blam... er, credit it all to LightWave! :o

He Who's Not Sure How He Managed To Get Married Yet.

T-Light
02-10-2007, 07:11 AM
Colkai -

Small world, The girlfriend's a family tree addict, she's been at it since she was young, when we first got together she used to nick my machine for research. Nowadays we're a three computer house, One for her, two for me.
Still doesn't stop her nicking my laptop when I go for a coffee :devil: :devil: :cursin: :bangwall:

Matt
02-10-2007, 08:06 AM
More video interviews!