PDA

View Full Version : The easy way to copy envelopes?

meathead
02-08-2007, 10:07 AM
I admit I am awful with expressions and modifiers...so work with me.

My prob, for example, I want to copy the Light intensity envelope and past it exactly to the Flare envelope, so they match in time.

I find that I need to match the graph editor curves a lot within an object and between objects, and still, after all these years, I manually match them by placing the other object in the background of the graph editor-very slow way to do it.

The LW documentation is very confusing...talks about copying time slices, but that does nothing but past one frame at the current point.

Thanks for the help!

Surrealist.
02-08-2007, 02:35 PM
The answer is simple. For envelopes with the E button, just tight click, or (mac equiv) and select copy then, repeat for paste into desired E.

To copy an actual channel curve, you can do that in the graph editor in the channel bin by right clicking and choosing copy/paste. You could manage yor envelopes this way as long as the E has been activated for that item. But the option here is that you could cross copy a motion envelope - as an example - to an intensity envelope.

Cageman
02-08-2007, 02:57 PM
This feature (right clicking on E-button) doesn't work everywhere...

UnCommonGrafx
02-08-2007, 03:01 PM
I've been doing this the past few days...

In the graph editor, with both objects in the bin, select the one with the envelope you want to copy from. Right-click on it and select ... tada ... copy. Select the channel(s) you want to copy to and right-click again to paste. This will copy/paste all the modifiers and expressions attached, as well.

That help?

Oh, the grooviest way to get all these channels to the bin is to just drag them up. Then, save some sanity by making creating a selection set.

Duh! That's what he said above...

meathead
02-11-2007, 12:30 PM
...To copy an actual channel curve, you can do that in the graph editor in the channel bin by right clicking and choosing copy/paste. You could manage yor envelopes this way as long as the E has been activated for that item. But the option here is that you could cross copy a motion envelope - as an example - to an intensity envelope.

Ahhh man, how could I have missed that?!?!?! I knew it was simple copy paste move, why wouldnt it be? But could never find it.

All these years, I was -attempting-copying curves in the curve edit window, instead of copying from the channel bin directly. I forgot the bin had right click options. I have been "rebuilding" the curves of two objects by placing one in the background or footprints, etc-seriously.

Thanks everyone. So much time will be saved.

Surrealist.
02-11-2007, 03:33 PM
I know what you mean. I have ran into a few of those in the recent past. Allways learning. :)

And Cageman is right, I did not research that fully, as I don't use it that often. There are many places the rightclick on E will not work. Some make sense some don't. But the graph editor seems to be pretty flexible.

Lightwolf
02-12-2007, 02:05 AM
You could also use ChannelFollower (a channle modifyer plugin) on your lens flare envelope. This way, if your light changes the flare will change along automatically.

Cheers,
Mike

Surrealist.
02-12-2007, 10:41 AM
Brilliant.

Is it possible to set up some kind of scaling? That is, if you had an array of lights that could all be all controlled by a "null", or like a master fader, but each light had it's own intensity but they could all be turned down. As I write this, I seem to remember something about that somewhere.

Lightwolf
02-12-2007, 10:51 AM
Is it possible to set up some kind of scaling?
Yup, of course. ChannelFollower has a scale option.
Be careful, it adds to the current envelope, so you should set that to 0 (unless you want a permanent base value).

Cheers,
Mike

Surrealist.
02-15-2007, 09:20 PM
Thanks! :)