PDA

View Full Version : The horror that is Vue camera synch

dsol
02-08-2007, 09:17 AM
I'm doing a music video right now that's hit a major technical hurdle. We need to get a lightwave camera translated into Vue 6 infinite, in order to render a long cloudy skies animation for use as a background element. First of all, here's the scene file:

http://www.digitaldistortion.net/misc/kw/CameraTrack02_v008.zip

I've downloaded the latest VueSync plugins from E-on but so far all attempts to bring over the camera to vue have failed.

I suspect the problem is that the camera itself has no keyframes - it's targeted towards an animated null (which was tracked from live footage). "Aha!" you say - simply bake the camera motion and all will be good. And it does work, but as far as I can tell, only for short scenes. This sequence is 5706 frames, and every time I try and bake the motion of the camera, I get the following error:

"line 57, index 0 invalid array positions[0]"

http://www.digitaldistortion.net/misc/kw/lw_mb_error.gif

This happens in version 9 and 8.5 on both mac and PC. Any ideas? Is this a known bug? And failing that, has anyone else managed to import a LW camera into Vue? Vue is a horribly bugged piece of crud but it sure does render some purdy clouds. The video's a low/no budget piece, but it's a great track and we'd love to make it something really special. It's maddening to be stalled so early in the project. Here's a still of the work-in-progress

http://www.digitaldistortion.net/misc/kw/KWcomet01small.jpg

Any help most gratefully received :) If anyone does figure it out and manages to import it into a Vue scene, I'd be indebted to you if you could email me the vue file - dan (at) digitaldistortion.net

Cheers!

lwaddict
02-08-2007, 08:03 PM
If you're using Vue6, which is still in beta...then you're hosed for now.

And someone said something about scaling the Vue environments to 10 or something like that.

For what it's worth...cruise the E-On forums. I've seen several threads with people successfully pulling this off.

Sorry I couldn't be much more help.

Red_Oddity
02-09-2007, 02:54 AM
If you have maya you could try exporting the track as an .ma file and i could mail you our Maya 2 LW camera exporter....

dsol
02-09-2007, 03:01 AM
Sorry I couldn't be much more help.

Much appreciated anyway :) I might try getting in touch with a guy I know who has Point Oven - it's annoying though that the LW motion bake tool seems to be so limited. Well, that and the fact that Vue doesn't let you import nulls!

Mas
02-09-2007, 08:00 AM
Well this is a bit of a random reply as I have been drinking...heavily...and I am a newbie... and if it must be known...am only here to check to see if someone sorted out my dilemma for the day....but.... could you export the camera motion.... as a path.... then lock what ever camera Vue uses to it... just visually set the focal depth etc..... As I said this broadcast was brought to you by local wine glut...
Cheers,
Mas

dsol
02-09-2007, 08:51 AM
Well this is a bit of a random reply as I have been drinking...heavily...and I am a newbie... and if it must be known...am only here to check to see if someone sorted out my dilemma for the day....but.... could you export the camera motion.... as a path.... then lock what ever camera Vue uses to it... just visually set the focal depth etc..... As I said this broadcast was brought to you by local wine glut...
Cheers,
Mas

That's an interesting idea Mas, I hadn't thought of that. I can copy the X and Y keyframes of the target null to a camera, then export that to Vue. The only thing that might stall it then is if vue doesn't let you copy keyframes from a camera to a null - In fact I don't even know if it supports Nulls - full stop. But it's definitely worth a go.

Ah, alcohol my old friend and source of creative inspiration!

dsol
02-09-2007, 08:58 AM
If you have maya you could try exporting the track as an .ma file and i could mail you our Maya 2 LW camera exporter....

Thanks, unfortunately I don't have maya (because of > money + scary interface!). I assume you can bake the camera motion in Maya then?

I tried using Cinema4D (which opens LW scenes) to export the Vue Sync file, but it has the same issues as LW. Point Oven might be a good bet - if I can just find the contact details for this guy I met before who used it :stumped:

Red_Oddity
02-09-2007, 09:16 AM
Okay, i've done this before (not with Vue though)
1] Create a new camera.
2] Add Orient Constraint Motion Modifier to the new Camera and add the original camera in the Orient Constraint's constraint list.
3] Add Point Constraint Motion Modifier to the new Camera and add the original cmaera to the Point Constraint's constraint list.
4] Add Motion Baker Motion Modifier to the new camera (it will whine about it already having modifiers, ignore this), open up the settings, set New Key Mode to 'Use Exisiting', activate to channels you want to bake.
5] Turn 'Play at Exact Rate' off in Lightwave's General Preferences.
6] Press play, and let it go through the entire time range.

Now you'll end up with a Camera that has the selected channels baked to World Coordinates (yes, this includes your rotation aswell, so you can ditch your Target Null in exporting and still get an exact matching camera)

Red_Oddity
02-09-2007, 09:18 AM
And here's your scene with the new camera, ready for baking

Red_Oddity
02-09-2007, 09:43 AM
Also, Thsoe Constraints would be SimpleOrientConstraints and SimplePointConstraints.
And when you start the baking (by pressing play), select something like a light (because the keyframe display on the Timeline is extremely slow, so baking 5000 frames could end up taking half and hour rather than the 15 seconds it's supposed to take)

dsol
02-09-2007, 09:45 AM
And here's your scene with the new camera, ready for baking

I can't thank you enough. I'm working onsite at an Architectural firm, so can't test it out right away but I'll have a look when I get back tonight.

Thanks again! Assuming this all works OK, I'll write up a tutorial and put it on my site - it's been a **** difficult thing to do and It'd be nice to save other people from going through this :)

Red_Oddity
02-09-2007, 09:49 AM
Double bollocks...i'm sending you on the same mistake i always make myself
Dont' use the Constraints...sorry sorry...
Use Relativity for the Roation and use Dynamic Parenting for Location...
I'll up a new scene for you that actually DOES work.

Red_Oddity
02-09-2007, 10:01 AM
Ha, i found an even simpler workaround for your problem...
Just baking the original camera's XYZ HPB (the one with the Target Null) using the Motion Modifier 'Motion Baker' does the trick.
After baking you can delete your Target Null and call it a day...

(Pfff...traversing through my library of not working baking projects and coming to conlusions too fast can be really annoying...sorry mate, but this one REALLY works, good luck with the project.)

lwaddict
02-09-2007, 10:06 AM
Just tried this and you can swap out your Target Null with a small object and it seems to work...just remove the object or set it to not render in the scene when you're ready to render.

Hmm...the more I think about it, the more workarounds there are.

****...if only I'd had some wine. :P

dsol
02-10-2007, 10:11 AM
Just tried this and you can swap out your Target Null with a small object and it seems to work...just remove the object or set it to not render in the scene when you're ready to render.

Hmm...the more I think about it, the more workarounds there are.

****...if only I'd had some wine. :P

Many thanks to everyone who's contributed answers and ideas. I'm away this weekend, but I'll be able to try them out when I get back next week. I'll let you know how it goes. And then I'll write up that tutorial I guess :)

Thanks again

tonybliss
02-10-2007, 12:22 PM
Some links to IVAN B's excellent tuts (copied from Ivan's post on e-on Vue Xsteam forums)

Heres a couple of links to my free vue video tutes. I now have a second link to a site that is hosting my QUICKTIME videos, much better quality than the Esnips flash videos. No registration required etc..Hope they help.

New Link:

http://resources.advancedperceptions.net/Tutorials/Vue

dsol
02-20-2007, 11:21 AM
OK, thanks to everyone who helped out with this topic. I *finally* have the camera imported into Vue. The thing which was holding the process back turned out to be a small (but important) detail about Vue I wasn't aware of. This was that once you have imported the synchronisation data, it isn't automatically applied to a camera. You need to select a camera, click the little clapperboard icon thingy in the top right (so that it's a switchable camera) and then change the Motion type to "Synchronised". Then - bish bash bosh - your camera move is working.

It seems to mangle the FOV settings, but at least the move itself all looks good.

prospector
02-20-2007, 12:03 PM
link only showing white screen, and can't do 'save as'

what format are they?