PDA

View Full Version : Did you know?

joseburgos
02-08-2007, 08:46 AM
You can have two or more Speed Edits open at the same time.

I have been experimenting with this and it works pretty good on SD video on my Dual Xeon 2.4 with 2 gig mem and Quadro FX 1100.

Things I have been able to do are;
01) For the heck of it, have both playing a project at the same time and ALT+TAB between each to view them playing.
Next test is on dual monitors (used to have dual but got rid of them for a 21" wide SyncMaster 215tw).

02) For practicle use, I try things out on the 2nd SE and if I like it, I then, A)Move the clip from the 2nd project into the file bin and switch to 1st and then drag into that project B) just make a preset (as long as it's not the CG) and use it on 1st. Or in other words my 2nd SE is a scratch/test SE.

Take care,

ted
02-08-2007, 04:33 PM
Just be careful when saving the project. My GFX guy was bragging about having the same project open on 4 SE's. When I asked him which one he wanted to save he gave me that gut wrenching look. :eek:

Unless you "save as" you will overwrite the same project on each SE when you save. You still only have one saved file which will be the last one saved.
He didn't think of that. :o

ScorpioProd
02-08-2007, 11:01 PM
Any reason you can't just cut and paste directly from one SE to another? I figure you can since I've always done that with VT-EDIT.

It's the best way to put together highlight recaps of a completed project, IMHO.

SBowie
02-09-2007, 07:48 AM
Sure you can, Eugene.

joseburgos
02-09-2007, 07:49 AM
Yes that works as well and maybe a little better than my way of going to a folder, thanks :)

Ted,
Yes that would be if the person open the same project in the 2nd SE.
But leave the 2nd SE to a new project, you do not have this problem.

Then you could could use Eugene's real world example of copy and pasting clips from the 1st SE into the 2nd SE and then edit some more to create a highlight film.
My use would be to animate a small portion of a project till I was happy and then when it was complete, I would take it to the 1st SE.
This way I do not have wait for the project to re-render to see how good the animation was, just wait for render to view final product.

In my test, using DV clips, HD res Images and CG, in a DV 16:9 project, as long as the 1st SE has completed rendering, the 2nd does not seems to be functioning at a lower speed.
All functions on the 2nd or scratch SE works just as fast as if was the only SE running on the system.

Take care,

ted
02-09-2007, 04:58 PM
I would think if the first SE is rendering, it would slow down your performance on the second SE.
On a tiemline this week we had dozens of overlays on each of 5 15 sec spots. This alone bogged it down.
I would imagine just having that many clips and overlays open and rendering on another open SE would have slowed us down. Of course that is related to the speed of your computer, drives and components.

I know having multiple versions of VT with heavy timelines open slows the performance of VT. We do it often and I've seen a hit in general performance and responsiveness.
But at least we can do it. :D

pipito
02-01-2008, 01:36 PM
Yo lo he hecho cuando necesitas hacer varios renders y no deseas estar esperando a que termine uno para poner otro, he dejado hasta 4 SEīs con diferentes proyectos.

joseburgos
02-01-2008, 02:36 PM
Yo lo he hecho cuando necesitas hacer varios renders y no deseas estar esperando a que termine uno para poner otro, he dejado hasta 4 SEīs con diferentes proyectos.
Ted help me here if I mess this up;
Pipito says he has done this when neccesary without much render time wait and waiting on one to finish while he does it.
He has had up to 4 SE windows open at the same time with different projects in them all.

I can not read spanish. What I have to do is read the words and say them to understand what the word (I can speak it) means.
Blame my parents and the fact that I never ever took a language class in school.

Later,

ted
02-01-2008, 09:28 PM
Me help? HA!
I had grandparents that never spoke but a few words in English and 2 years of Spanish in High School. And I still have no idea what he said! :D

My dad grew up speaking Spanish at home and English at school with no "emersion" assistance. He felt if you're going to live here you better speak English. And while we still believe this, we both realize teaching me when I was young would have been best.

But yeh, you might slow down the process, but there is no reason not to do muliple renders at the same time.
Does this help?

dgon64
02-01-2008, 10:55 PM
Although I use Premiere ( I know dirty word here ) but have been considering Speededit so I often come here to read the posts. I am intrigued by pepito's post and since I do read and speak Spanish I thought I'd help with the translation. Jose, you almost got it right but what he really said was that he's done it ( open several SE's ) when he's needed various renders and didn't want to wait for one to finish before starting another one. He's fired up to 4 SE's ( at the same time ) with different projects on them. Pretty cool actually.

bbeanan
02-02-2008, 09:32 AM
There would be no need to do that since you can have a single copy of SE running and have it doing multiple renders at one time... I once had 4 different formats rendering all at once... Heck you can still make changes while it is rendering too....

ted
02-02-2008, 04:47 PM
Yeh but you couldn't do multiple projects at the same time. Not sure how often you would need this, but it's still coooool.
Hey Brett, you going to be at NAB this year, since you live there. :D

pipito
02-05-2008, 06:43 PM
Thanks dgon64, you really understand I said about open several SE windows.
Sorry if you donīt undertand my spanish! But I can understand your english better than you my spanish.

I am only trying to participate my experiences, and is very usefull to open several windows to make renders of "Differents proyects", you can leave the computer working in the night.

pipito
02-05-2008, 06:53 PM
It is very usefull to make renders only when you finsihed your proyects!

bbeanan
02-05-2008, 11:32 PM
I will most likely be at the booth, every year I end up helping out in some way with the booth (for 3 years I pretty much ran Encore Productions the former in house AV company at the Las Vegas Convention Center). Granted after spending 16 hours day 7 days a week at the LVCC for 3 years I try to limit my time there now.

ted
02-06-2008, 12:03 AM
Today I was bragging about multiple renders to my new GFX guy. I began rendering a couple different segments of a project we had to e-mail to a client. BAMB! VT5 locked up.

I didn't try it again and instead we did each independently. I think the problem might have been a black clip clip between the two were being rendered to both projects??? Plus several elements were in both projects??? FWIW I was rendering to a .wmv file.

Any way, we are so backed up I didn't have an extra 10 minutes to try again. I'll play with this later.