PDA

View Full Version : Uv image exporter

Andyjaggy
02-07-2007, 04:09 PM
Okay here is the problem I am having, and I really hope there is a way around it. I have a subpatched UV map that I need to export into a painting program. I have tried UV imaginator, and I have tried the EPS exporter within Lightwave, neither however will export the SUBPATCHED UV map. I open up the files in Photoshop and am presented with a straight Linear UV map. As far as I can see there isn't an option to export it as subpatched anywhere.

I know I could maximize the UV window and do a print screen but I need something with more resolution then that. I know I could also scale it up in Photoshop but the the UV lines get all blurry from the interpolation.

Help. :help:

MooseDog
02-07-2007, 05:15 PM
afaik, help is not on the way :( :( .

kind of a ridiculous situation, i'll agree, but your only option is a feature request (lame i know :D ).

Andyjaggy
02-07-2007, 05:23 PM
That's what I was afraid of.

:twak: Shame on you Newtek this is a basic functionality that we need.

gerry_g
02-08-2007, 03:18 AM
Modo 202 will, it will export UV's as an EPS in Smooth Interpolated mode or Linear, I don't know whether the trial version is still available or if itís save disabled though

gerry_g
02-08-2007, 03:38 AM
Should of pointed out this is only worthwhile for standard subd's, and completely pointless for CC subs as LW will only read the mesh as Linear and the map won't fit

hrgiger
02-08-2007, 03:57 AM
Yeah, I've been complaining about the UV export ever since they added the subpatch interpolation. It really needs to be addressed soon. Using a print screen just isn't cutting the proverbial mustard. It's nice they added the subpatch interpolation but it's a halfassed implementation if we can't export them. Features have to be useful, not just pretty.

Lewis
02-08-2007, 04:26 AM
Yep we need soemthing simple as UVImaginator but NATIVE, We can't constantly rely on 3rd party support to fill out gaps :(. C'mon NT give us decent UV exporter who can export in variosu resolutions.

cheers

P.S. gerry_g - modo isn't proper solution (even if it works as dome for years and i think it's 30 days trial) and AFAIK modo doesn't read LW's CCs properly (it see only points and not polygons).

R Haseltine
02-08-2007, 08:22 AM
Could you not freeze the mesh, export the uv map for that, and then revert to the unfrozen version?

Andyjaggy
02-08-2007, 08:26 AM
Yes you could do that but then you have a very complicated and heavy mesh in your UV map that becomes a pain to look at and understand. Still it's the best option at the moment. Don't ya love these half [email protected]@#$ work arounds.

Andyjaggy
02-08-2007, 08:28 AM
I was wondering when was the subpatch interpolation introduced?

Matt
02-08-2007, 01:15 PM
I think it was 8.5, could be v9, not sure

R Haseltine
02-09-2007, 07:50 AM
There's discussion of the "new" uv interpolation options in the 8.2.1 readme.

Lewis
02-09-2007, 08:08 AM
SubDs Interpolation arrived in LW 8.2 AFAIR

trentonia
02-09-2007, 08:36 AM
Get SuperUV for free from ResPower the online render farm. Go to this page where the describe all the features then follow the link to the download section. http://www.respower.com/news_2006_12_27_superuv It works on PC for 32 bit and 64 bit. You can edit and set up your UVs the way you want them and then export a .emf file that you can pull into your vector or raster based programs. Try it...you'll like it.

Andyjaggy
02-09-2007, 08:53 AM
Oh cool thanks.