PDA

View Full Version : Reflection Problem!

alkart2003
02-07-2007, 12:59 PM
I'm setting up a model of a space craft and I'm wanting the windows to be reflective. When I adjust reflection nothing happens. I've tryed turning on raytraced reflections and still nothing. The weird thing is that this is happening on three seperate computers. I've tried dumping the config files and restarting but it still does not show up. I also tried opening different models and still nothing. Is this some sort of bug?

RudySchneider
02-07-2007, 01:30 PM
Just a dumb question: Did you ENABLE reflections for your render(s) --- in the Render Globals dialog box? Moreover, do you have something to serve as a reflection, such as another object or HDR background?

Bog
02-07-2007, 02:33 PM
Yeah, there's a red flag right there - in space, by default, there's very little to reflect. If you add a sphere to an empty scene and make it 100% reflective, and render with raytracing rendering on, it won't look any different - because there's nothing for it to reflect.

Also please not that backdrop images set in the Compositing tools don't reflect or refract, as there's no distance data to do the calculation from. You'd need to build a plane to render any backdrop imagery on - half spheres do nice jobs as nebula holders.

Wonderpup
02-07-2007, 04:52 PM
half spheres do nice jobs as nebula holders.

For some reason I really like that sentence- in any other context it would be totally incomprehensible, but just here, just now I simply nod sagely and pass on. Fantastic!