PDA

View Full Version : Integrating with a stadium scoreboard

JakeT
02-05-2007, 01:29 PM
Hi,

I'm looking into a VT system, mainly for live sports coverage. Now this might be asking a lot, I'm not sure (:newhere:) , but is there a way to have a game's score and time be automatically updated on a VT graphic, say by somehow connecting the VT to the scoreboard control panel?

I realize that if yes, it probably also depends on the actual scoreboard system. I can find out what specific make & model I would be trying to connect to, or what connections it has, though I don't remember right now.

Is it do-able?

Thanks,
Jake T

chribba
02-05-2007, 04:11 PM
Is this something that can help you??

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40987

chribba

JakeT
02-05-2007, 05:28 PM
Thanks for the link, it'll be a big help if & when I'm workin with a VT.

But sorry, that's not what I'm asking...apologies if I mucked up the explanation of my quesiton.

Basically - In a live sports production, can the actual, physical stadium scoreboard control the values displayed in the VT's CG scoreboard? That way the time in the video is the same as the official time, with no delay.

Maybe it's not such a big deal if the CG's clock is a few seconds off. But it would
be nice if it never was :hey: .

Thanks again,
Jake T

billmi
02-06-2007, 08:37 AM
In theory, yes, but it would not be plug and play.

First, the stadium scoreboard would need to have controller software with an external feed. Then from there you'd need to have software written that could run under Windows, and read data sent to it by the scoreboard, and shoot VTScript commands to update the VT CG module.

Whether you can do it or not boils down to the scoreboard. Of the scoreboards I've worked with/around, some had standalone hardware controlers, and would not be capable of this, while others use software controllers running on a PC and could be capable of this (the paintball scoreboard from alexpotato.com for example that is used by the national college paintball league and one of the two pro leagues is designed specifically to report its score and time data over a LAN to other software.)

JakeT
02-11-2007, 06:32 PM
Appreciate the reply,

The scoreboard used in the venues where we shoot sports is a little portable panel that the operator plugs into the press box wall with a 1/4" jack, like you said, a standalone hardware controller....So not do-able.

Unless I find a way to convert the scoreboard signals and get them to a PC....that would be very hard to do, but worth a thought...

OR, have you ever heard of a set up where a computer recognizes the scoreboard's numbers by looking at video from a camera that is pointed at the scoreboard?

I know I'm going pretty far out with this heh, but, any other ideas?

channeltwelve
02-21-2007, 01:19 PM
Most of the scoreboards I have seen around use RS-485 serial communications.
This is usually run on a coax or twisted pair. Some are fiber but the big trend seems to be wireless Part 15. I have heard that some boards use power line coupling of the signal to avoid installing a new wire.

I don't know if there is any set standard for the messages but I suspect its an individual manufacturer thing similar to the mess found in rs-422 pro video gear.

The good thing is that the nature of the information is so simplistic you can probably figure it out with a piece of monitor terminal software.

This sounds like something that Young Monkey could whip together in short order.:thumbsup:

Have a look at this link . . .
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RS-485

channeltwelve