View Full Version : Lost my pivot rotation positions

02-05-2007, 12:48 AM
So I have around 600 frames of lovingly crafted animation that are now useless because Lightwave didn't save the Record Pivot Rotation values for every bone that had a RPR set.

So when I open the file, the bones still look correct, and they move correctly, but the geometry is no longer properly aligned with the bones. The geometry rotates about its natural axes, not the RPR values.

Is it possible to fix this?

02-05-2007, 03:57 AM
Do you have a rest pose at 0 or sub 0 frame? And did you record the bones rest position (r) this aslo stores the rotation info. You have to do this for every bone you changed info on.

So if you have changed the pivot rotation at frame 0 as an example, you go back to that frame and hit r for each bone. That should fix it.

If you did hit r for every bone. Do it again and see if that fixes it. I have heard of scenes loading up like this after the fact but I seem to recall hitting r as the solution. You can do a search on it here as well. It has come up before.

02-05-2007, 09:54 PM
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Hitting r on my bones resets their positions in an incorrect way (well, it worked for some bones, not others).

Turns out I could restore my animations by manually setting the "rest rotation" of the affected bones.

However, now it gets even weirder. I'm using the FBX exporter to export to a game engine. If I export the incorrect, weird-looking version of my animation, it actually looks correct in the game engine. If I export a version that looks correct in Lightwave, it looks incorrect in the game engine, like things were rotated too far...


08-20-2007, 09:13 PM
Did you find a solution to the bone orientation dilemma SFDex? I'm trying to convert a LW rig from a Torque-safe setup (IK with RPR set for each bone for the DTS format) to a Unity-safe rig (no RPR for the FBX format) and am hoping to keep my animations.

08-21-2007, 05:20 AM
Aha! Problem solved. I had recorded (zeroed) the rest positions of the bones which the DTS exporter likes but the FBX exporter doesn't like. I didn't manage to save the animations but I do have my rig set up now to export to DTS and FBX successfully.

If weird bone deformations happen to your IK rig in Unity when the rig still looks good in LW:
1. Delete all bone keyframes except for the T pose (frame 0) and the IK goals;
2. Reset all bone rests: Setup > More > Orientation > Remove RPR;
3. Make sure IK, bones and deformations are on: your limb targets should now be looking in LW and bones should be looking good;
4. Make a copy of this scene ("File_bake.lws");
5. On the File_bake scene use DStorm's free baker plugin (http://www.dstorm.co.jp/archives/plugins/BakeIKtoKey/doce/index.htm) to convert IK to FK;
6. Export to FBX;

This set up gave me a working bone animation in both Torque (DTS export using IK) and Unity (FBX export using FK) that still looked good in LW.