PDA

View Full Version : QuickTime VR

dugg
02-05-2007, 12:14 AM
This is the first time I have tried to do a VR since I did the upgrade to V9 (which also is a new machine) and when I went to render out a QTVR file I get a message that Quicktime is not available. Am I doing something wrong or do I need a separate piece of software?

Thanks

Dugg

StereoMike
02-05-2007, 02:19 AM
can't test it without qt , cause I have qt pro installed and qtvr renders fine.
using lw 9

mike

starbase1
02-05-2007, 03:41 AM
Just render out a 360x160 equirectangular panorama, and feed the resulting file into Panocube.

StereoMike
02-05-2007, 05:57 AM
that'S the panorama stuff. The other thing is a cam orbiting around an object.
Won't work with panocube I guess. You need the native lw exporter.

http://www.siegfeld.com/dl/ep.mov

dugg
02-05-2007, 08:17 AM
I am trying to do 36 frames of VR but the camera doesn't move only the motion in the aminamtion. I just want to arrange the frames vertically so the mouse-over runs the animation up, but I get this error message "Instance Creation Failed - Quicktime Not Available" I get the same thing trying to make a .mov or QT Stereo.

Dugg

dugg
02-05-2007, 08:22 AM
Just realized my new computer is putting stamps on my screen captures. I am registered on my old machine so I guess I will have to contact them about how to transfer my licence.

Dugg

dugg
02-05-2007, 08:55 AM
Just went to my 64 bit version and noticed it doesn't even list QuickTime VR as an option of a file type to render out.

Dugg

BeeVee
02-05-2007, 08:59 AM
Do you have Quicktime installed? There is also no 64-bit QT (not may other codecs either)

B

Artistrendering
02-05-2007, 10:17 AM
If you're creating an object VR, I would render the frames seperately and composite them in another program. Lightwaves QTVR export drove me crazy. Flash is one way, Quicktime VR authoring is another (old app but works great) or Wirefusion which is what I prefer to use. I'm sure though if your on a Windows system you can find something cheaper on the net. Good Luck.

Ryan

starbase1
02-05-2007, 11:28 AM
What's the name for this type of VR movie? I'd rather like to try it, but don't know what to search for sofware wise...

Artistrendering
02-05-2007, 11:55 AM
There are Object VR's where you control an object that has pivot point usually in the center of the object, and there are Cubic VR's where you are viewing from the pivot point looking around as though you're in an surrounding environment.

You can also combine the two also or have hotspots for moving around cubic VR's and so on and so on. It can be as simple or complex as you want to make it.

So searching Cubic VR and Object VR for software would be my suggestion.

dugg
02-05-2007, 12:17 PM
My, my my... BeeVee you were right. I assumed that LW could just make a .mov file which then perhaps I could only view with QuickTime but I guess I needed it to be able to have the option.
This friend has this thing and I said that I thought you could either do a short movie of how the auger rolls the metal frame upward, but I said what would be cooler would be to have it so people could put a curser on it and move it up and down as they wished. I should learn to keep my mouth shut.
It is rendering now.
I drive a '64 Hillman and this is the 100th anniversary so I built a VR of the very first one a while ago (I just did pan on it) you can see it at:
http://www.whirlygigproductions.com/HILLMAN/1907VR01.mov

TheDAve
02-07-2007, 06:29 AM
If you're creating an object VR, I would render the frames seperately and composite them in another program.

I generally render them out in FPrime (as it had quicker GI & lets me decide when the quailty is good enough)

Then I import those frames back in to LW as an image sequence on the backdrop and render out to the QTVR plugin.

As there is no geometry this takes almost no time at all.

DAve

Artistrendering
02-07-2007, 08:17 AM
I'd be interested to see how those turn out TheDAve. Maybe I'm missing something but that seems like a lot more work than it's worth , unless there is really that much difference in your render times. A very creative approach none-the-less!
My main problem though with the QTVR export though is that you have no real options about how to present the VR, it's almost the same everytime. I'm not sure but I think you can't even set the zoom stopping points, no auto rotate, etc. VR-specific programs give you many more options when your creating that I find essential.
It's all in what you want I guess.

StereoMike
02-07-2007, 09:29 AM
I do it like TheDave all the time. Cause if you want to test various compression methods or want to resize the thing, it's better to separate the image generation and the qtvr generation. Imagine 400 frames take all the night, and the separated saving takes half an hour. You would spend several nights if something went wrong...

mike

StereoMike
02-07-2007, 09:32 AM
@Artistrendering: yes, qtvr is very limited and produces huge files. But for certain companies you have to take what they have already installed. In an upcoming project the client wants the lowest possible solution, cause they have up to 2000 pc which must be updated otherwise.

dugg
02-07-2007, 10:46 AM
That is a great idea. I abandoned the VR because it was just taking too much time and I opted to render frames and make them an animated gif.
I tried this but all I get is frame 000 throughout. I thought LW would give me an option to make it a sequence of images (000-019 etc). I also only want tilt and no pan frames. If I set the tilt to 20 and pan to 1 shouldn't that do it?

dugg
02-07-2007, 10:55 AM
I should mention that I am putting the image into the Compositing Tab. Does it need to be a .avi or something? I am limited by my secondary software and I really do not want to re-render everything. F-Prime sounds great but I don't got...

TheDAve
02-08-2007, 11:57 AM
I'd be interested to see how those turn out TheDAve. Maybe I'm missing something but that seems like a lot more work than it's worth , unless there is really that much difference in your render times.

It's not really the render times. It's just that I don't trust outputs that don't give me the raw single frames - I would not render direct to an avi either :)

The fact that I can get a low res preview to check I have not messed up is just an added bonus.

If I had a standalone QTVR creator I'd use that, but I don't so I use LW.

DAve

dugg
02-08-2007, 01:13 PM
I just didn't know how the use a sequence of images in the BG (time to pick up the 20lb manual). I feel like the Compositing will take either a still or a moving image but I couldn't get it to accept a series of images.

I did render it out again as an .avi and then I had a different image for every frame but I still could not get LW to render it out to a QTVR. It did give me a file that with a browser said "Bad Data, can't Play" and with Quicktime if you clicked the image it just played but wouldn't respond to the curser.
I am trying to have no pan and 20 tilt frames.

I discovered that if I requested an image viewer when the .avi was rendering when it was done the viewer->Image tab had all the stills saved and I could save them as stills - so one render gave me both.

Dugg

TheDAve
02-08-2007, 06:21 PM
Since I hadn't done this for a while I just gave it a go to check it still worked in LW9 (and zipped up my source files in case they helped anyone).

First using QTVRObjectScene.lws I rendered the individual frames (using FPrime - but you can use F10)

I then open QTVRRenderScene.lws and F10 render ensuring I have saved the animation as a .mov.

(If you have output your frames to a different filename you will need to change the backdrop image sequence in 'Compositing Options' to match - I just keep the image sequence filename the same as I will be deleting or archiving them.)

You can find a zip containing my source files as well as the resulting frames and QTVR mov here (http://www.digitaljoat.com/Temp/QTVR.zip)

I hope this helps.

DAve

TheDAve
02-08-2007, 06:28 PM
I've just re-read duggs post and realised his problem is not in creating the file, but rather that the 64bit LW is missing the export plugin. In which case I think the only solution is to look for an external tool to create the QTVR. Sorry I should have read your post more carefully.

On the other hand does the 64 bit license allow you to run the 32 bit version as well? If it does you could just use the plugin in that to generate the QTVR file from your still frames.

DAve

StereoMike
02-09-2007, 05:08 AM
I can create QTVR on Win x64 with LW 32bit (9.0).

dugg
02-09-2007, 10:32 AM
I finally got it working. I always want to assume that if I have done something before I never have to go back and re-read the manual...

TheDAve, I only mentioned that trying it on the 64bit didn't even give me the option of QTVR so I have been working in 32 ever since. I must say that I hope eventually the 64 bit side will be worth the trouble it took to get it working.

I was having trouble looking for an 'options' in the Composting Tab that would accept it as a sequence but I just discovered that if I go to the Image Editor later I get that choice.

Next- What does anyone know about embedding it into html especially without the controls on the bottom. Apple.com used to have it like this but I notice they have completely abandoned it. Does anyone know why?

That was a really great tip about stills in the background while rendering QTVR!

Thanks Everyone!

Dugg