PDA

View Full Version : Image mapping texture help please

DMarkwick
02-04-2007, 06:59 PM
A long time ago I remember a nice texture plugin/surface/technique that allowed a user to import a sphere image and allowed a surface to take it's texture from the appropriate area on the image, so for example I could import a sphere image that had apparently been oil painted, and the technique would apply the appropriate area onto a surface such that the surface would then look oil painted. Does that make any sense?

I'm not talking about Wacom's excellent sketch textures/techniques here, this is essentially mapping from an image of a sphere.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure this was done in Lightwave but I honestly cannot remember much about it. Now I would like to use this technique for an upcoming project and I'd like to track this down if I can, can anyone help please?

toby
02-04-2007, 10:45 PM
UV mapping? Spherical mapping?

AbnRanger
02-04-2007, 10:57 PM
Deep Paint 3D has presets that paint those type of textures...like oil paint, pastel, smudge stick, water color, etc. Pretty amazing stuff. It has tons of other textures you can paint with.
What it does is allow you to simultaneously paint on an object with multiple channels, like Color, Bump, Shininess/Specularity, glow, and opacity.
I recently used it to texture some dental animations. Body Paint 3D is somewhat better in that it's kept up to date (Deep Paint hasn't seen an update for a few years, and virtually no video tutorials available for it), but it's a few hundred of dollars more. I had some registration troubles for a second license of Deep Paint 3D, and when talking to tech support, they said that they would be releasing a new version within a month or so.
I'm not a Deep Paint 3D expert, but I may do a little video tutorial here shortly to help others get up an running with it...if anybody uses it, or wants to use it.

gerry_g
02-05-2007, 03:43 AM
Body Paint Release Three is a better buy cos it now boasts a pretty good pelt tool for uv unwrap, if you're on the Mac there’s only this or Modo202 that will take the pain out uv generation