PDA

View Full Version : normals?

ftown
02-04-2007, 03:50 PM
can LW9 output a rendered normal pass? there's a plugin for AE that relies on renderd nomal passes to bring LW's 3D models into AE and I was wondering if thats possible with LW, or if there's a plugin to help me out. I haven't needed this before so any tipswould be helpful. tia

fred

ben_smith
02-11-2007, 04:17 AM
If you look on Flay for a buffer saver such as ASA or Adrian's Nifty Buffer Saver, I'm sure normals are one of the buffers you can output at the same time as you render.

/b

ftown
02-13-2007, 01:44 PM
ASA isn't available anymore, the web page is down, and Buffer Saver
won't do it either. saving a normal pass is common these days so I was surprised to see LW can't handle it.
:thumbsdow

connerh
02-13-2007, 02:02 PM
What do you mean by normals pass? Will just plugging in the normal spot output into diffuse shading not give you what you need?

ftown
02-14-2007, 11:41 AM
I don't know if that would work, the lights falloff would probably bugger things up. Here's a pic of what a "render normal pass" looks like. on the left is a normals pass, on the right is the original.

Ztreem
02-14-2007, 12:13 PM
Just apply bumprgb shader to your object and you will get normal colors.

connerh
02-14-2007, 01:28 PM
If you plug the node into the diffuse shader, then the lights have no influence what so ever. You may also have to play with switching the normal axes around (I think I've had to multiply the z-axis by -1 before plugging into diffuse shader).

ftown
02-15-2007, 05:45 PM
thanks Ztreem, I never would have thought to look for bumprgb shader, btw, what is the normal color shader used for, it gives a different result than the
bumprgb although you would think by the name that would be the one to use.

and thanks connerh I'm still trying to figure out your technique, Ill post if I find out any new info.

connerh
02-15-2007, 06:07 PM
The problem, as I understand it, is that while the industry uses a fixed color scheme (green - y, red - x, blue - z), as I understand them, the direction that the colors are interpreted in vary. Again, I may be mistaken and there may be some more differences, but that's just what I've gathered.

dpont
02-16-2007, 02:46 AM
Connerh is right, z normal is multiplied by -1 (Math vector),
then add +1 and divide by 2 to get a normal color,
this seems to match your sample, and some others
I found.

Denis

monovich
07-12-2009, 08:08 PM
you can output a normals pass with the RLA/RPF export image filter. no extra surfacing needed.

just don't try it on a mac, because after many many years, RLA/RPF still doesn't work on a mac.