PDA

View Full Version : vehicle lighting

monfoodoo
02-04-2007, 01:51 PM
I need help on lighting my cars.I'm not looking for a whole scene,just the vehicle.Any help would be appreciated.Scott

toby
02-04-2007, 03:17 PM
What kind of look do you want? Indoor, outdoor? Day, night? Reflections play a huge part as well, you'll need an environment of some kind

monfoodoo
02-04-2007, 03:55 PM
Here is a example of what or about what i want.Or, something that does not retract from the model.An HDR image is in use with area lights.Model is not close to finished.The Background is a half Globe.

Captain Obvious
02-04-2007, 04:24 PM
Some crits:

monfoodoo
02-04-2007, 05:44 PM
I still have a lot of modeling and tweaking to go.And FPrime is doing the rendering.Will add lights as said and see what that gives me.Will post in "in progress " later to get more feedback.Thanks!

byte_fx
02-04-2007, 09:17 PM
Might also consider using beach-probe hdr that comes with Lw in ImageWorld. It tennd to yeild a fairly even light with just enough variation to avoid the GI dome look.

To keep it from being seen make a 500 meter or so ball in modeler then flip the polys so they face inward.

Parent it to the camera and set all shadow options to 'off'.

Pop a spec only didtant light into the scene as needed.

You can play around with different variations on that theme.

byte_fx

monfoodoo
02-04-2007, 11:06 PM
made a few adjustments and what do you think?It's only a 5 minute render but there is an improvement.

toby
02-04-2007, 11:58 PM
Ideally there should only be one distinct shadow. Starting with a more traditional setup, you should have a Key light, that being the sun if this is outdoors - and that should create the only distinct shadow. You should also get spec hits from it. The others should be extremely soft, better yet would be backdrop radiosity with that HDR. Or try to fake that with the area lights, they will have to be pretty large. The truck should have more Fresnel in the paint like Cap'n said. It would also add some realism if the shadows were darker under the wheels; looks like there's a light with no shadows, and/or it's pointed under the truck? And do you have a higher res HDR? The reflection looks a bit fuzzy. The ground should be more evely lit if this is outside, right now it looks like there's spotlights on the car, which makes it look like it's in a studio.

You'd get a great many more ideas from reference images, they're really important if you want to make something look real or really good. Here's one from searching google for 'hot rod'.

monfoodoo
02-06-2007, 09:23 PM
Thanks.I'll take all advice and work it out.Scott