PDA

View Full Version : using background images for modeling

Sentinel45
02-04-2007, 05:12 AM
I've been having a little trouble using background images when modeling a character... the points don't sync up the way they should in the top, front, and right views. Every time I move them to where they should be on one POV, the others move where I don't want them. Any thoughts on how to correctly sync up my background images?

I was thinking about making a mark on my source model. When I take my pictures, syncing the mark in each picture at a certain point on the grid. Think this will work?

Bog
02-04-2007, 05:31 AM
Whenever I'm modelling a head, I futz around in Photoshop making sure the important bits are aligned - having offset imagery is almost worse than having no reference imagery at all. Use Guides in Photoshop to make sure that the tops of the ears and the point of the chin are in the same place in your pictures, then check eyeline, tip of the nose and the bottoms of the ears.

If those all jibe, your life should be easier. If they don't, it's gonna be painful and you'll have to use your own judgement on where to diverge from the image and give it your best guess.

I've got some reference imagery here, f'rexample, that was shot by a complete numpty who seems to have put the objective on a turntable, then moved the bloody camera between shots. Where do I find 'em....?

Sentinel45
02-07-2007, 08:08 AM
Whenever I'm modelling a head, I futz around in Photoshop making sure the important bits are aligned - having offset imagery is almost worse than having no reference imagery at all. Use Guides in Photoshop to make sure that the tops of the ears and the point of the chin are in the same place in your pictures, then check eyeline, tip of the nose and the bottoms of the ears.

If those all jibe, your life should be easier. If they don't, it's gonna be painful and you'll have to use your own judgement on where to diverge from the image and give it your best guess.

I've got some reference imagery here, f'rexample, that was shot by a complete numpty who seems to have put the objective on a turntable, then moved the bloody camera between shots. Where do I find 'em....?

Thanks for the info. I don't have Photoshop but I may be able to do what you suggest w/ Adobe After EFX. I'm also going to create some kind of external template for my photos that I can use for a reference.

I've also had some success with aligning the photos in the viewports according to my initial points. I've been working on a model of Godzilla (I love that monster!) and I put my intial points down in the right viewport, then matched the front and top viewports according to the spline I made from the points and so far the wireframe closely resembles him. Now, if I can just patch it with a minimum of fuss I'd be happy....

Surrealist.
02-07-2007, 12:52 PM
Here's a link to a free open source photo edditing software. Looks pretty good but I have not used it.

http://www.gimp.org/

I have seen techniques where people actually draw a grid on the model and photo that.

I use BG references, sometimes only a profile sometimes two. Depends on the situation. The more I do it the easier it becomes. :)

Good Luck.