PDA

View Full Version : Copying surfact info from one node to another

spec24
02-03-2007, 05:49 PM
In the old style of surfacing in LW you could place an image, for example, onto a surface, copy the layer's parameters and then use those same parameters in another channels layers - like using a bump image in the bump channel and maybe in diffuse. In the node editor is there any way to do this? I may take one image and project it onto a surface's color input, resize it, the whole deal, and then I may want to take another image, similar, but maybe a bump image of the same color image I just used and project that to the same surface but I have to input all the information all over again. Scale x,y,z for example. Is there any way to cut and paste this info (I know I can cut and paste one image node to another image node - but I can't cut a Normal map node and paste it into an image node)?? I can cut and paste as long as they are the exact same node, but what if they are different? If there is no way can we please add some kind of cut and paste functionality to nodes to copy the scale/position/rotation/falloff parameters???

Dave Jerrard
02-04-2007, 12:38 AM
First, you can take an image node and feed its color to the Color input of the Surface node. At the same time you can take its alpha or Luma value ad use those in any of the other channels in the Surface Node, while at the same time taking the bump output of that image and feeding that into the Bump channel. This can all be done with a single node.

Now if you want a second node with a different image, but using those same position & scale settings you set up, just copy the first node (CTRL-C) and paste it (CTRL-V). Open the node and change the image. It's quite similar to how you'd do it with layers. You can also copy entire sets of nodes to duplicate or add to other surfaces.

After a while, you might find yourself copying & pasting nodes around quite a bit, leaving some unconnected as a sort of undo. This lets you try a few variations without having to get rid of old ideas. It's kinda handy being able to have a few nodes with things set up in them, sitting around, ready to go.

He Who Thinks This Is A Pretty Powerful Form Of Nodes.

spec24
02-04-2007, 07:14 AM
Thanks Dave, I thought I had made it clear that I know I can copy from one image node to another but if you need to copy just the parameters of an image node, or any node for that matter, there is no easy way to do it. The normal node is a perfect example. You may have a normal node that you feed into your surface with a normal map and then you may have an image node that shares a similar setup with the normal node (image is similar. size, etc.), but the parameters must be entered manually on each one. The normal node example on page 117 of the surface manual demonstrates this point (these manuals are horrible by the way).