PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave modeling help!

familyguyman
02-03-2007, 04:37 PM
I'm new to lightwave, and the forums, so I apologize if this is in the wrong place, but I've been searching for days for help with this problem, and I can't seem to fix it.

First, is there a way to select entire objects WITHOUT selecting every single polygon? I think volume select works for this, but I can't do anything to it outside of the area where the box is.

Second, whenever I rotate an object, I can only rotate it along one axis. Is there any way I can do a sort of free rotation, and is there some way to get rotation handles on that object?

Thanks.

Bog
02-03-2007, 04:41 PM
If nothing is selected, then everything visible in the current layer is selected.

All tools - including Rotate - operate through the mouse-pointer.

familyguyman
02-03-2007, 04:47 PM
But how do I select individual objects?

Bog
02-03-2007, 04:51 PM
In modeler, select some of your object in any mode (Poiints, Edges or Polys) and hit right-square bracket for "select connected"

familyguyman
02-03-2007, 04:55 PM
Lol it works, thanks! And when you say operate through the mouse pointer-?

borkus
02-03-2007, 05:28 PM
i believe he is talking about your selection modes in between your symetry and sub-d type tabs on the botttom of your screen. sorry if i'm wrong

borkus
02-03-2007, 05:32 PM
i'm just as guilty as anyone else, but go thru the manual and you will find tons and tons of things that would take you a while to figure out on your own. and it will help you when following tutorials because a lot of them are made with you knowing the hot keys and principles already. i know it's not exactly the most enthralling reading material, but it will give you many useful little nuggets to get a broad understanding of the interface

familyguyman
02-03-2007, 07:13 PM
But how do I just free rotate it?

Surrealist.
02-03-2007, 08:09 PM
y key then rotate in perspective if you want free rotation. To restrict use an X,Y or Z view.

Pay attention to action center modes, this is where you specify the center of the tools action:

Mouse center, origin, selection, pivot point. I have all of these laid out along the bottom so I can see what mode I am in when they are selected. By default they are listed in the drop down under modes.

My bottom screen below. You can see that I have my selection and modes buttons laid out and ready. I never use the default set up as buttons. I find this much better.

You can learn how to set this up in the manual. :)

Also note how the keyboard shorcuts are on the buttons.