PDA

View Full Version : IKBoost and Motion Mixer - Problem Mixing!

Kevin Kirk
02-03-2007, 11:48 AM
Hello!

When I am using IKBoost (which is great) and then use Motion Mixer (which is great), I can load the actor, the bones and all, and then load a motion. No problem.

However, after the motion is loaded, each of the bones in my model using IKBoost now says 'plugin' instead of giving me useful information, and does not seem to function properly anymore.

In other words, motion mixer with IKBoost seems to only work for one motion, and I am unable to make further motion.

I am missing something, does anyone know what I'm doing wrong? :help:

-Thanks!

Dodgy
02-03-2007, 12:21 PM
Nope, this is an innherent problem with IKB, I've moaned at NT about this, but maybe if you moan too, they'll sort it out..

Kevin Kirk
02-04-2007, 12:38 PM
Honestly, I am amazed there is no fix for this. IKBoost and Motion Mixer would be a strong, and logical, combination.

Working on animation tools would seem to be a priority. Are there any fixes in the works at all? Is there at least a workaround? I don't care as much about nifty plugin type additions, get the core animation tools working first.

What say you, Newtek Gods? :lwicon:

Dodgy
02-04-2007, 04:14 PM
That's their plan :)

omeone
02-04-2007, 08:51 PM
Nope, this is an innherent problem with IKB, I've moaned at NT about this, but maybe if you moan too, they'll sort it out..

@:newtek: MOOOOAAAAANNNNN ;)

There are two workarounds that I know of, one is overly laborious and the other a little clunky.

I'll give you the clunky one:

1. Organise a clean RIG with no IKB applied yet, create the actor and add all the items.
2. Save a copy of your scene.
3. Open the copy scene in a second instance of Layout.
4. Uncheck the MM_MotionDriver for every one of the Actor's items. (quickly done by hitting on the down arrow to cycle through all items when the Motion Options panel)
5. Apply IKBoost as normal to the RIG in this copy scene.

You can now make edits with IKB, and Create Motions in MotionMixer.
To transer the motions from one layout to the other, save them as *.hmot files.

So in essence, the first Layout instance is used for creating motions with IKB and the other for animation building / editing in MotionMixer.

One thing to be careful of is that all Bones need to be indiviually named in order to play nice with the *.hmot file...

disclaimer: Im not really a MotionMixer user meself, so I haven't put this through the wringer ... but knowing Dodgy, he has probably already tried this and can tell where the problems will be? :o

Dodgy
02-09-2007, 06:08 AM
This allows you to turn off/on MotionMixer plugins for a selection of items and their children, so it can be used alongside IKB. Find it on my web page :)

omeone
02-09-2007, 06:43 AM
Just in time :)
I was about to make a video of that clunky workaround I described above, now I'll make one for this instead...

Actually Dodgy, as a return favour - if you would ever like someone to do video documentation for any of your plugins - just let me know.

tyrot
04-18-2008, 11:10 PM
dear dodgy , omeone

i know this is an old thread but..do you really have time to make a video tutorial about your plugin.. Recently i m so into IKB (again:)) and i really wanna use it with MotionMixer ...is there any chance to watch the workflow..

Actually after watching lots of IKB tutorials (again) and some MotionMixer tutorials over Youtube... i m asking myself "why didnt i try this earlier"

And what do you think about new MotionMixer idea ...works like Character Studio with all those lovely tools you can find in character studio...?

Best

Scazzino
04-18-2008, 11:39 PM
I've been using it lately and it's not too difficult. Basically when you want to regain IK booster control of your rig, you select the root of the IKBooster Rig and run the MGMotionMixerOff LScript. This turns off all the Motion Mixer plugins for that item and all its children, returning control to IK Booster. Then when you finish with IK Booster and want to reactivate MotionMixer, select the root of the IKBooster Rig and run the MGMotionMixerOn LScript.

It would be better of course if turning the MotionMixer actor off automatically turned off all the associated plugins so this wasn't necessary. But until that can be fixed, these LScripts do provide a workaround...

:goodluck: