PDA

View Full Version : Vista 64bit on nForce MB (A8N-E)

CAClark
02-03-2007, 11:40 AM
I have installed Business64 Vista, and it installs, but after it does it's first boot, it hangs on a black screen. I have read that it is to do with the nForce4 boards (mine is an Asus A8N-E), but no-one seems to be able to offer an explanation or fix.

Has anyone here managed to install on an nforce4 board? If so, how?

Cheers! :help:

Drogon PCKann
02-03-2007, 12:18 PM
I can help you. But you are not the only one. I install the ultimate 64 and the ATI video card software and LW sentinel doesn’t install.

CAClark
02-03-2007, 01:02 PM
I can't even get that far, that's my point.

Animapper
02-03-2007, 03:21 PM
Hey everyone,

This is my first post to the list. I'm an MSDN subscriber and software developer so I've had Vista for a few months on one production box. The sentinel drivers still need to be updated before we can use vista for LW. Customer support at Newtek said soon last week so...

Regards,

CAClark
02-03-2007, 03:40 PM
How about the actual thread topic? Regarding Vista installing fine but black screen hanging on first boot after install? The sentinal thing is someone elses problem in a seperate thread (though he'll appreciate any input I am sure)...... but for now I am not able to get vista to boot even though it installed AOK, and all spec was cleared by the advisory proram and the vista memory check utility checks out ok.

Cheers!

Animapper
02-03-2007, 04:05 PM
Sorry about that Craig. I slipped on where I posted that. I don't have that motherboard on any of my systems but have had vista64 working on two other MBs if this helps anyone else - an MSI K9N Diamond and an Apple Mac Pro 266.

Regards,

lots
02-04-2007, 10:00 AM
I'm unsure if vista has a safe mode, but if it does, can you boot into that?

slackadocious
02-04-2007, 06:59 PM
I installed vista ultimate 64 on my nforce with out issue..

do you have RIAD enabled using the nvraid controller? or just regular old sata or ide?

Skonk
02-05-2007, 06:57 AM
I have vista installed and running fine, but....

I had to install it twice because the first time i had an external firewire hard drive connected and this seems to have interfered with the boot manager, making the computer fail to find a boot record if i didn't have the vista dvd in. This also happened with windows XP (which i installed on the same machine as a dual boot). So i re-installed them without the firewire drive connected and all worked fine.

So i would suggest if you have any removable disks hooked up to the machine you disconnect them before installing.

CAClark
02-06-2007, 05:08 AM
I figured what it was. I have an ati x850xt radeon, with 2 monitors attached. It just occured to me to unplug the 2nd monitor. It booted fine. Itseemed the install had difficulties with the 2nd monitor somehow. It's working fine now though, I just had to have screen 2 unpluged for the installs first boot.

Cheers!