PDA

View Full Version : Engines

D33P BLACK
02-03-2007, 05:40 AM
Allright gals n' geeks, what engines are you using and do they rock?
The reason I ask is, myself, and a couple of friends with the skills required are building our first game. I do the 3d, one guy is a photoshop whiz (textures etc.), and the other is a coder who knows basic, and can muddle thru c+,we all write and two of us are musicians (i play in a local speed metal band myself). I am leaning towards giving Beyond Virtual a twirl, mostly because of the native LW love, and they are local for me, a big plus as far as i am concerned.
OPINIONS PLS.
P.S. : Don't bombard me with mod **** either. Done it, not what i'm looking for.

harrio
02-03-2007, 10:02 AM
the lawmaker engine, sort of a more mature beyond virtual.

crystalspace 1.0 finally released, open source, good feature set.

irrlicht engine, another open source.

blender game engine, maturing quickly.

c4engine, next-gen, not for weak computers or weak programmers but flexible, powerful and well maintained.

saurbraten, open source, based on cube engine.

D33P BLACK
02-03-2007, 10:04 PM
Thanx for the tip :thumbsup: . I will pass the info on to my coder as ultimately he's the one who has to deal. I assume that i can find those engines by googling them?

tyrot
02-04-2007, 04:06 AM
dear d33

one and the only place

www.devmaster.net

every engine known to man is there...(warning ....you may lose your months)

i agree with harrio...I was early user of Beyond Virtual ..and i am waiting decent shader support to turn back..lawmaker looks better but for a Lightwave ..Beyond Virtual is virtually beyond any engine out there..

Best

D33P BLACK
02-04-2007, 04:43 AM
Ok, checked all the ones harrio said. They all look pretty good. My coder is leaning towards bv as well, because he has very basic c skills. Maybe what i really need is a good coder, hehe...................

Lamont
02-05-2007, 12:04 PM
Take a look at Ogre - http://www.ogre3d.org/. Very powerful, and up there with what you get from most mod tools.

Teig
02-11-2007, 07:23 PM
It looks like we will be doing our initial development on the multiverse MMO engine. It is still in the beta stages but it has financial backing. One thing us LW users would need is colleda export.

Multiverse.net

Gumby22don
02-12-2007, 09:26 PM
I've done mods, and am moving with team to engine-based games too.

I've picked up 3dgamestudio. (www.3dgamestudio.com) -Doesn't have everything, but has shader support, and with a few add-ons, (Lightwave exporter, Populace for multiplayer [32+ players], and the 3rd party shader libraries) it works well, with fairly basic coding setup.

That said, it seems like they're moving across to a different coding setup (c-lite) so may be worth using something else that is moving steadily in the next-years tech already. For me, I'm planning on working up some coding samples, and re-coding my main project once the next version comes out, or I move to a more expensive engine, depending on what's available in 3 years. :)

Don
have a great day

erikals
02-13-2007, 05:50 PM
I'm playing with Beyond Virtual now, it is ok, but I feel it is a bit lacking.. basically because of the shaders, they are working on implementing several of those though.. Also it needs fixes here and there.

It is at the 1.1 version stage, so that's positive.
The guy who worked on the LW side in BV quit, unfortunatly, so support for LW most likely won't be the same as it was.

I'm gonna stick with BV for a bit, but I must say 3Dgamestudio is tempting.

gazmon
02-19-2007, 02:23 PM
I've been playing around with Unity and its seems pretty fine. Javascript. Immediate updates onscreen to any changes you do to the models, textures, lighting etc with no compiling. I'm not an expert or anything but am finding this the most user friendly games engine I've tried.