PDA

View Full Version : Atmospheric Entry Effect

Steamthrower
02-02-2007, 06:58 PM
Hello, I have another LW effect question. Thanks for the quick response on my other one, by the way. This is something that I have tried to figure out several times but it never ends up looking quite perfect and definitely not the broadcast quality I'm looking for.

I'm sure everyone is familiar with the sort of hot "bubble" that forms around a spaceship when it enters an atmosphere. Is there a standard method for doing this? The ways I have considered would be to create an object with an animated trans map parented a few meters in front of the spaceship, but I don't think that would quite give the randomness, light refraction, and glow that I need.

avkills
02-03-2007, 04:11 PM
I think the hot bubble would depend heavily on the shape of the craft entering the atmosphere; with that said, maybe you could make a plane with lots of points that is in the general shape of the ship (no polys) and emit particles from the points.

Another idea would be to take the same idea and try and form a bubble like shape that kind of rounds around the main hull of the ship and use textures and procedurals to simulate the effect. With the right UV texturing, you could make it appear as though the heat is moving from the main center point of contact up and around the ship.

-mark