PDA

View Full Version : 3D Architectural Visualizaton Study

Scazzino
02-02-2007, 12:04 PM
I had done this a while ago and just now had the time to post some samples.

It was an architectural visualization study for an interactive CD-ROM. I modeled the building in Form-Z (If I were to do this today, I'd use LWCAD) and rendered it in LightWave 8. I then composited the 3D renderings with a client supplied photo of the site. I had surfaced and rendered four different color/siding combinations as an example of how the CD-ROM would be able to let the user view the client's full product line of premium roofing products in a variety of color combinations and settings.

Our online portfolio page for this project (http://dreamlight.com/3d/elk.html) shows the four combinations we rendered with live rollovers to switch between them. If you click on any of the small thumbnails on the page you'll see the full render of that particular option.

Here's one of the renderings.
http://dreamlight.com/media/graphics/3d/images/elk-forest_green-gray.jpg

katsh
02-02-2007, 06:22 PM
i have been want to see scene like this.
i wanna live in the house.

otacon
02-02-2007, 11:05 PM
Very nice. The shadow from the tree on the left really helps sell the composite.

Darrell
02-03-2007, 08:50 AM
thats nice...are the trees meshes or just a background image?

Scazzino
02-03-2007, 12:33 PM
Thanks guys,

The setting is a photo. To get convincing shadows what I did is project the trees/shrubs onto flat planes placed in front of the building and used them to cast actual shadows onto the building. I painted a transparency map in Photoshop to silhouette all the foreground trees/shrubs right from the photo.

It worked pretty well. :thumbsup:

Iain
02-05-2007, 03:47 AM
Nice render.
The junctions between the differing roof planes need some kind of treatment but apart from that it's very non-cgi looking.

Scazzino
02-07-2007, 09:09 AM
Thanks and good point Iain, I'll keep that in mind on the next one. :thumbsup:

tmoran
02-08-2007, 08:25 AM
Nice render.
The junctions between the differing roof planes need some kind of treatment but apart from that it's very non-cgi looking.

I can almost feel the warmth of this home. Nice work placing into photo setting!
I'd have to go along with Iain on the separation of roof planes. The seam where dormers and where garage gable meets main roof needs a 'gutter'.
Otherwise, this rendering is off the charts!

Scazzino
02-08-2007, 08:41 AM
Thanks Tmoran, :thumbsup:

I do agree that some roofs do have very noticeable gutters/seams where different planes meet. This made me question how I could have missed something so obvious when I did this project, especially since it was done for a premium roofing product manufacturer.

So I went back and checked my reference photo... In this case, with their roofing products, they seem to just interweave them, which leaves hardly any noticeable seams at all. Here's a close up of the reference photo that I was working toward. Since the seams were so subtle in the photo, I didn't add anything specifically at the seams in the model.

:)

Iain
02-08-2007, 08:44 AM
Yep - fair enough :)

Again, excellent work.

tmoran
02-08-2007, 09:39 AM
You definitely nailed the seams from your reference material.
My response, although it doesn't meld with your client's desires, is that there is so much great detail in the rest of the house model, that the seams might add that one little bit of detail to the roof. (I understand the project has to reflect what the client wants)
Not to belabor the point...it is still great work:beerchug: ....'gutter' go now!
Tim

Scazzino
02-08-2007, 10:03 AM
Thanks Guys! :thumbsup:

I'll pay close attention to the roof seams on my next architectural project.

:beerchug:

nthused
02-08-2007, 10:10 AM
Very nice. Love the integration in the scene, as Otacon pointed out the shadow from the tree on the left really works well. The only thing that perhaps is a bit off is the sharpness and blackness of the shadows of the dormers versus the tree. I would assume that during a nice sunny blue sky day there would be more blue in the shadows.

Again VERY nice work.

Scazzino
02-08-2007, 10:16 AM
Thanks nthused :thumbsup:

Good point, looking at the reference photo posted above, the shadows on the roof are a good match (which is what I was mostly focused on, since the roof was the focus of the project) but I do agree that the shadows falling over the white trim portions could be cooler. Good eye, I'll keep that in mind next time.

art
02-08-2007, 10:26 AM
Great job. Nicely captures the look and feel of New England homes.

I'd probably agree with the comments about roof seams. I do not see it as a big omission but my friends working in construction would probably spot it right away :)

Scazzino
02-08-2007, 10:32 AM
Thanks Art :thumbsup:

Have your construction friends look into Elk roofing products, and then they wouldn't have bulky roof seams either... Check out the reference photo above (http://www.newtek.com/forums/showpost.php?p=494396&postcount=9) and you'll see the seams in the photo are just as subtle as they are in the render... ;) ;)

For other homes that do have bulky seams though, I would of course add them, as I did the ridge caps on this one...

art
02-08-2007, 12:15 PM
I just came back from lunch and had a good look at some of the homes.

Some homes had seams as shown in tmoran's example. Most homes had small seams where the different planes met and the roof shingles were cut straight (including my condo). There were a couple of homes with shingles interleaved as in your example.

So, I'm taking back what I said. There is nothing wrong with the seams in your render. Somehow I missed your reference photo first time. If I saw it I would not even argue in the first place. It is I who is lacks the knowledge of subject :D

Scazzino
02-08-2007, 12:20 PM
No problem Art!

It may be a function of how much effort goes into the roofing, I'd guess that the interleaving may be more costly. Just adding a strip down the seam is probably faster and less expensive... but I'm not a roofer myself so that's just speculation... Don't worry about bringing it up, enough people did that I went back to check my own reference shots since I started to think I had missed something... It never hurts to check!

Scazzino
02-08-2007, 12:23 PM
Here's a wireframe and a textured wireframe from the project.

In the textured wireframe (of the brick veneer version) you can see the shadow casting planes that I used to cast real shadows on the model to help composite it into the photo.

I actually used the same windows and door from this project on my 3D animated short film - BlastOff! (http://dreamlight.com/insights/12/welcome.html) and they are available for use as part of the LightWave 3D Room Set scene/object files (http://dreamlight.com/insights/12/3DSetsAndProps.html#roomset) with a built-in full spinning light rig along with a number of the other prop LightWave 3D object files (http://dreamlight.com/insights/12/3DSetsAndProps.html#props) used in the film.

:D

colkai
02-09-2007, 03:15 AM
I'm amazed at those seams, like others, you would assume they need 'something' there. Many houses around here have lead flashing at those junctions and where bay windows meet the walls. I've never seen a "clean" roof" like that before. :)

Very clean mesh BTW, really tidy.

Scazzino
02-09-2007, 08:21 AM
I'm amazed at those seams, like others, you would assume they need 'something' there. Many houses around here have lead flashing at those junctions and where bay windows meet the walls. I've never seen a "clean" roof" like that before. :)

Very clean mesh BTW, really tidy.

I know, I was beginning to question the seams myself, until I dug up the reference photo to check.

The mesh was built in Form-Z (which is more architecturally oriented than LightWave Modeler) where it was even cleaner before being triangulated when imported into LightWave. The next architectural project I do, I'll try using LWCAD which looks very promising.

:D

colkai
02-09-2007, 08:44 AM
Oh it is, it makes building much easier in LW. There are a couple of things to watch for, but all the tools to check for problems are right there and I am more than happy with the speed of use.

balogo
02-09-2007, 01:52 PM
........Great..... a wonderful scene

Scazzino
02-12-2007, 11:44 AM
Thanks guys! :thumbsup: