PDA

View Full Version : help with displacement maps?

Johnny
02-02-2007, 11:39 AM
I think I'm getting there, slowly, but the results so far are pretty nasty.

I am practicing on a simple sphere before I move on to my "real" model..

using "Normal Displacement" I can get my texture to displace the model, but it's very stairsteppy, even with a high-res map, and even after freezing my sphere.

any suggestions how to get a crisper, better-looking result?

thank you!

J

toby
02-03-2007, 03:59 AM
You have to just keep going higher and higher with the mesh resolution, assuming that your texture is high res enough. I don't think you need to freeze the sphere

Giacomo99
02-03-2007, 09:11 AM
There's an limit to how not-stairsteppy you can get with an displacement map--if you're trying to get really super-crisp edges you might have to actually model the thing. Hard to tell without seeing a screen cap of what you're doing.

Johnny
02-03-2007, 10:32 AM
well, I got what I wanted with the map and a simple sphere (not a tessellated one) but not with my actual model, which is sort of like a deformed sphere.

but when you say "go up higher in mesh resolution," what exactly are you referring to, here?

I cranked the render subpatch field to ridiculous amounts, to no benefit..is that what you mean?

J

toby
02-03-2007, 12:11 PM
Yea, that's what I meant - but if it doesn't get better with higher sub-d, you need higher res maps. But Giacomo has a good point too. Any way you can show us an image?

Johnny
02-03-2007, 01:19 PM
Yea, that's what I meant - but if it doesn't get better with higher sub-d, you need higher res maps. But Giacomo has a good point too. Any way you can show us an image?

yes there is, however, I have run out of time to experiment and am now rendering the best I've been able to get for my client.

after that's done, I'll throw some renders up online, talking about what each one's settings are so you can see what I've been getting.

I greatly appreciate your willingness to look at pix and helping me with suggestions.

J