PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave I'm Ready To Destroy You !!!

andy gee
02-02-2007, 08:31 AM
Hello 2 all

I am ready to slap on a strangle hold on lightwave, as it has totally started to
P S ME OFF. for some reason lightwave no longer likes to make previews, every time i make a preview and the frame slider reaches the desired frame Lightwave automatically crashes every single time, ALSO the recent scenes tab doesnt work anymore. There are probably others things I havent discovered yet that are not working also.

ALSO tried to make preview in lightwave 8 that crashed it too, but open recent scenes worked fine.

As of late the only change i have made to my PC is deleting an infected memory file from windows which had a trojan !!

NOW I dont know if this is causing lightwave to freak out or what but, even after a complete reinstall of lightwave 9 i cant get these feature to work.

Can anybody PLEASE PLEASE give me some suggestions on how to fix this Pain in the Butt !!!!

Thanks

Andy Gee

wavk
02-02-2007, 09:31 AM
try to delete your config files.

mlon

Johnny
02-02-2007, 10:23 AM
I've had that previews problem, too, and as I recall, it matters greatly where the cursor is when you initiate the preview, and I think it also matters which pane is selected to SHOW the preview..

a little experimenting should get you there. yeah, the crashes are like sharp glass up your spine, but at least you aren't alone.

J

Surrealist.
02-02-2007, 09:14 PM
A complete reinstall does not necessarily rewrite your configs. When you first start up LW or Modeler, they will look for the config file. if it is currupt your tools will not work - just happend to me.

Just cut and paste them into a back up folder and start fresh. LW will rewrite a new one. You will want to back up your menu layouts and reload all 3p plugins of course.

andy gee
02-03-2007, 03:53 AM
Hi 2 all

I have sucessfully deleted the config files from my PC and restarted Lightwave i got all new config files BUT i am STLL left with same problems

F9 Crashes Lightwave

F10 Crashes Lightwave

Preview Crashes Lightwave

Can anybody Help ????

Thanks

Andy Gee

colkai
02-03-2007, 04:48 AM
Weird, does it do it regardless of what scene you use? if 'show rendering in progress is on or off?
Can you crash using a 'std' LW content scene? - If so, it sounds like something must be fubar'd.

My guess is, it may not be a LW problem, but a memory problem, where LW is accessing a chunk of memory that isn't kosher.
I had problems a while back which, coupled with odd crashes, I finally pinned down to an iffy memory module.
May be worth swapping / removing modules to see if the same problem occurs.

I can't see it being a OGL / graphics driver problem if it crashes regardless of if the show render in progress isn't active.

andy gee
02-03-2007, 05:05 AM
INTERESTING !!!

recently i deleted a memory file because it became infected with a trojan horse. It was round about the same time that lightwave went weired.

If so how do i fix it ??

Thanks

Andy Gee

bobakabob
02-05-2007, 03:33 AM
Re: Preview - I had this problem once with LW 8. Updated graphics card drivers and Direct X and it worked. Hope this helps.

kopperdrake
02-05-2007, 05:15 AM
If you have enough memory modules in your PC you could try swapping some out and seeing if LW works with only certain modules in. Say you've got 4 modules, take 2 out and try LW. If you still get problems you know it *may* be one of those 2 so try the other 2. Keep going until you figure it's a memory module problem or something else. Trial and error :) Make sure you know which modules your PC needs to have in to work properly, seem to think that it might matter which banks are filled first.

andy gee
02-05-2007, 10:03 AM
Hi 2 all

Ok this is what i have done so far, i have :

. Uninstalled then reinstalled Lightwave 9

. Deleted the configuration files and let Lightwave 9 Refresh.

. Used Ristry correction software to fix my registry.

. Have downloaded a C./WINDOWS/Memory.dll file from the dll downloads site supplied by Cobra (Thanks for that) which i tried to install in the right place but had no effect.

. Have updated the drivers for my PC via a driver updater package.

. Updated Windows

. tried to install my version of XP Pro over my current version which it didnt like due to the current version being newer.

After all of that Lightwave still refuses to run properly.

Can anybody offer any suggestions on how to fix this, So far Lightwave doesnt make previews, or render or few other things

any help at all would be appreciated.

Thanks

Andy Gee

colkai
02-05-2007, 11:23 AM
This is too weird for words.
Here is a really daft question, have you tried running LW in discovery mode when in windows VGA safe mode? (I'm assuming discovery mode as I'm not sure if the dongle driver would be loaded in safe mode).

Just a way to isolate other drivers etc from influencing LW is all I'm thinking of.

andy gee
02-06-2007, 06:14 AM
Hi

ok i have tried the windows reinstall method and that hasnt worked either.

so all i can do now, is to format my hardrive and reinstall everything.

unless anyody else has any other suggestions ??

Thanks

Andy Gee

druitre
02-06-2007, 07:25 AM
So far you've focused on software replacements/updates. I've had problems like yours many times and solved them by attacking the HARDware- here's my routine. Purely based on experience, I'm no expert on electronics at all.

First open up your box and check all components, something may have come disconnected. Just push all connectors firmly into their sockets etc. The weirdest stuff can happen from jingly wiring.

Stupidly enough, even dust can screw your computer's behavior, so get a can of compressed air and clean the internals.

Next (if the problem persists) do the memoryreplacement suggestion earlier explained. Take out banks one by one (physically remove them from the motherboard). If a memorybank is busted, it can freeze or crash your computer every time it (or a specific part of it) is addressed.

Also you might go to your computershop and buy a new powersupply, see if that fixes your problems and if it doesn't, bring it back to the shop (I've had to do this more than once and the people at my shop never make a problem of this. On one occasion, it proved to be the solution).

Good luck,

Jasper

edit-- I forget to say, this may all sound like a lot of work but in fact it's a lot easier than reinstalling Windows.

Steamthrower
02-06-2007, 10:02 AM
If you're still having problems: if you reinstall Windows over your current installation with the "Keep my current documents" option checked, I don't believe that it does anything besides "refresh" the /windows and /system32 directories. I've had software stability problems before with other programs that weren't fixed until I wiped the hard drive and started completely over again. Like you said, it's a royal pain, but it'll make everything else run faster anyway. It's amazing what file-clutter accumulates over the course of the years.

Though druitre might be right, I doubt that hardware is the cause of your problem because if it was all of your other programs would be acting up.

m68030
02-07-2007, 02:48 PM
My guess would be that if you had some sort of infected file portions of windows could have also been damaged in some way and it just happens that
Lightwave is the first place you've noticed something isn't right.

I've never seen a computer get infected with a virus end up 100% perfect after the virus was removed or cleaned up.

There is a free boot cd called MemTest86+ which tests the ram in your computer to see if it is infact damaged, in case you still think it's a hardware problem.

http://www.memtest.org/

Incidentally the only place I've ever heard of a "memory.dll" is the game Battlefield 1942. It doesn't seem to be a part of windows itself. At least it is not part of the 64bit version of windows.

andy gee
02-07-2007, 06:02 PM
Hi everybody

Ok I took the long road and formatted my hardrive after a backed up everything.

I have just installed Lightwave 9 again on a fresh windows xp and it is now working properly.

Just want to say thank you, to all who posted there opinions and tried to help me out.

Thanks

Andy Gee

inquisitive
02-07-2007, 11:14 PM
yeah i had a friend that also got infected with a virus, he said he cleaned it and now his games do not run correctly.. either his machine is hosed.. or he is using that as an excused to not play games... hehe

Seriously, issues with virus are better dealt with a reformat, pain on the neck but easier to troubleshoot issues afterwards.

meshpig
02-07-2007, 11:38 PM
... the moral of the story is; buy a Mac next time!!!

M

animotion
02-07-2007, 11:49 PM
Too many macs can be fattening.
Stay off the bad web sites.

inquisitive
02-08-2007, 12:56 AM
haha - yeah stay away from macs ;)

andy gee
02-08-2007, 03:52 AM
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm Macsssssss Arrrrrgggggggghhhhhhhhh

Andy Gee

Bog
02-08-2007, 04:11 AM
I'm not going to give in to my initial impulse and say something massively sarcastic.

However, when someone's just had a huge amount of hassle with their hardware, and getting it back up and running, saying "Get a Mac!" sounds both smug and trite. The main reason most people use PCs is price - they're significantly faster for the money you spend. The memory's much cheaper (unless you happen to be one of the rare Mac owners who realise that RAM is RAM is RAM and buy your own components) and you can put PCIe graphics cards in them, which makes the interface much smoother.

If we wanted to be using Macs, we'd be using Macs.

End of Rant.

Phil
02-08-2007, 04:45 AM
The main reason most people use PCs is price - they're significantly faster for the money you spend.

I'd agree with the general feeling of your post, but note that UB versions of apps like CineBench / Maya and also apparently LW run faster *on the same hardware* (including raw rendering speed, which won't depend on drivers) than they do under Windows. It surprised me too. OS X seems to do a better job of getting out of the way when number crunching is needed. It's around 10% faster according to Cinebench. I have only 3rd party data for Maya.

I'd also note that I bought my MacBook Pro (my first and only Mac so far) because I couldn't find a similar specification from any PC vendor without substantially increased cost. This is before I look at the portability and the screen quality of the MBP along with the other more subtle benefits (backlit keyboard being one of my favourites, in addition to Front Row).

All this said, I still wouldn't go up to a suffering Windows user and shout "Mac". I run a number of old Thinkpads as LWSN nodes, and have relegated my desktop machine to a file server - Windows will be present for some time on my network. It's perfectly functional and has served me (mostly) well since 1995 when I got my first PC. The three top things to keep in mind for happy Windows life :

- Autopatcher (vital when so many post-SP2 updates are available; reinstalls become much less painful with this around)
- AVG (wonderful and free, for non-commercial use, virus killer)
- ZoneAlarm (decent firewall, fairly easy to use. BitTorrent can upset it)

For LWSN on Windows, Butterfly Netrender is the organ grinder to LW's monkey.

Bog
02-08-2007, 04:54 AM
Thanks for that, Phil - I shouldn't have muddied the waters of my post. My main - in fact only, really - point is that it's not nice to shout, as you so eloquently put it, "Mac!" at suffering PC users.

m68030
02-08-2007, 06:12 AM
Of course if you were really in for some pain you could run Linux and then try and get Lightwave to work in Wine, the windows environment "emulator".. In the past, LW7.5 ran fine under it.

dsol
02-08-2007, 09:41 AM
Sorry Bog, I just felt obliged to pipe in on two things said here I don't think are quite correct :)

The main reason most people use PCs is price - they're significantly faster for the money you spend.

It depends what kind of hardware spec you need - the Xeon MacPros are very competitive at the high end performance market (though I can't believe Apple hasn't released an 8-core version yet!). Their main problem is a lack of lower end options for enthusiasts/gamers - ie. a cheap little tower with PCIe slots and a single Core2.

The memory's much cheaper (unless you happen to be one of the rare Mac owners who realise that RAM is RAM is RAM and buy your own components)

They're no diffferent to Dell for stuff like that and as you say, there's nothing stopping you installing your own RAM in there. Post intel switch, you can even upgrade the CPU too (something horribly uneconomical to do with the PowerPC macs).

and you can put PCIe graphics cards in them, which makes the interface much smoother.

All macs use PCIe since the Intel Switch. I think the last generation of PPC macs all used it as well - the quad G5 I'm typing on has a PCIe Geforce 6600 in it :) Though saying it makes the interface smoother is another matter... OSX has used OpenGL acceleration for the desktop interface since version 10.2 - it's smooth as butter, regardless of whether you're using AGP or PCIe

Bog
02-08-2007, 01:15 PM
Like I say, my main point which I regret diluting was the eminantly face-punchable "Get a Mac!" comment.

It doesn't help. It never helps. It also makes it sound like you assume the other person doesn't know what they're doing by not owning a Mac in the first place.

Smugness. It makes people stabby.

Watchwords for the 21st century.

lwaddict
02-08-2007, 08:00 PM
Got the latest MS updates and patches?

I had an issue where the preview window wouldn't refresh or let me pick an image out of the render sequence...ARGH...

found out that I'd recently updated my system so I did it again, got more patches and whalah.