PDA

View Full Version : 60-Second Spot Features Antics of Highly Realistic CG Animated Robot

WilliamVaughan
02-01-2007, 05:51 PM
Capturing the loyalty and spirit of the General Motors Company, SWAY Studio brings an assembly line robot to life in GM’s :60 commercial which will debut during Super Bowl XLI on Sunday, Feb. 4, 2007. Collaborating alongside Deutsch LA and well-known director Phil Joanou (Gridiron Gang) of MJZ, SWAY’s talented animators successfully created a perfect computer generated (CG) replication of a real-life robot that evokes precise movement and realistic emotion.

http://www.spinquad.com/news/story/71

Matt
02-01-2007, 07:59 PM
Sounds awesome, shame we can't see it yet! :(

Safe Harbor
02-05-2007, 03:33 PM
That was a VERY cool commercial. A bit sad, but still neat. I liked the emotion that was brought into the robot.

mattclary
02-06-2007, 08:53 AM
I just read an article yesterday where they did PET scans of peoples brains while watching the commercials from this years Superbowl. This commercial triggered fear and unease. They attribute it to the fact that the robot got fired for dropping a screw or something.

CMT
02-06-2007, 09:08 AM
Yeah, that commercial did nothing for me. I just thought the point of the commercial was lost on the story of a robot who was dreaming on the job. A robot that had some cool mannerism, but still lacked the connection needed to empathize with him. I can't even remember what car company it was for.

Safe Harbor
02-06-2007, 09:13 AM
Yeah, it certainly wasn't an upbeat message. I got the point of the message, but didn't like how they went about it. It was quite sad, a bit disturbing even.

My point was, that the animators conveyed the sadness VERY well with such a limited character. Bravo on that front... No bravo to GM for the actual spot, though.

Stooch
02-06-2007, 10:59 AM
yeah i wasnt really blown away by the message in general. it was kind of diluted as the spot dragged on. nothing in that ad made me want to buy the car...

but then again im a honda/acura guy for life (and maybe bmw)

matix
02-06-2007, 11:17 AM
I disagree with stooch, even though he's my roommate :D . Anyway, I feel that the commercial was very impactful. It really made me feel sorry for the robot how he tried and tried to be something, it even saddend me.

The execution was spot on.....even though I dont want to buy a GM...

I am also a honda/acura lifer.

T-Light
02-06-2007, 11:56 AM
Don't know if you get the same ads around the world, but have you seen the Honda ad with the mini walking human? It's slightly OT for the thread as it's a real robot but the spot where He looks and waves at a NASA astronaut suit is fantastic.

We really aren't very far away from this.
http://www.honda.co.uk/asimo/

mattclary
02-06-2007, 11:57 AM
They should take this as a lesson. Spend less time planning hi-tech commercials and more time coming up with ways to connect to the target audience.

BigHache
02-06-2007, 12:26 PM
Youtube has a voting thing for all the Superbowl spots on their home page. Also, you can view it over at boardsmag.com (http://www.boardsmag.com/screeningroom/commercials/3771/).

Stooch
02-06-2007, 01:37 PM
I disagree with stooch, even though he's my roommate :D . Anyway, I feel that the commercial was very impactful. It really made me feel sorry for the robot how he tried and tried to be something, it even saddend me.

The execution was spot on.....even though I dont want to buy a GM...

I am also a honda/acura lifer.

well if you didnt feel that you wanted to buy a car then the ad failed.... I didnt say anything about the execution of the ad. which was top notch, my criticism was about the actual message and if you felt sad for the robot, thats the wrong message to get when they are trying to sell you a car...

matix
02-06-2007, 01:40 PM
well if you didnt feel that you wanted to buy a car then the ad failed.... I didnt say anything about the execution of the ad. which was top notch, my criticism was about the actual message and if you felt sad for the robot, thats the wrong message to get when they are trying to sell you a car...

I was disagreeing with the diluted part. I felt it was strong the entire way though. Everything else I agreed with, especially not wanting to buy a GM. :D

Stooch
02-06-2007, 01:42 PM
i think you got the wrong message then. the message wasnt about a sad robot or his attempts at being something, it was that they are so obsessed with perfection that dropping a screw will cause them nightmares about being fired. thats the original premise of the entire commercial, which i feel was dilluted when they went into the story of the robots downfall...

matix
02-06-2007, 01:47 PM
i think you got the wrong message then. the message wasnt about a sad robot or his attempts at being something, it was that they are so obsessed with perfection that dropping a screw will cause them nightmares about being fired. thats the original premise of the entire commercial, which i feel was dilluted when they went into the story of the robots downfall...

oh I got that. The sad robot was trying to be something after he got fired. The message I got was "our cars have to be SO PERFECT to compete with honda/acura that if anyone screws up, they're fired". Which imho is true, they really have to turn things around if they want to stay afloat.

The ones that get it dont have to tell the public they are obsessed with perfection and quality control, they show it with the products they sell.

Stooch
02-06-2007, 01:50 PM
well then maybe they should have introduced the happy honda robots into the commercial as they point their fingers and laugh at the ineptitude of both GM robots and their marketing department.

oh yeah. page 2 owned!!!

matix
02-06-2007, 01:54 PM
well then maybe they should have introduced the happy honda robots into the commercial as they point their fingers and laugh at the ineptitude of both GM robots and their marketing department.

oh yeah. page 2 owned!!!

Maybe the whole thing was a ploy to get us to feel sorry for GM. I was quite saddened by the commercial. I think a cameo apperance by an ASIMO robot could have turned it around. Perhaps the GM robot could have had second thoughts.....you know what, i bet they edited out the part where the ASIMO robot THREW the GM robot off the bridge. If you go back and look, the cut was very abrupt when that happend. I thought after seeing the GM cars going over the bridge he would have had second thoughts......I believe i've figured it out. oh and btw :I_Love_Ne

mattclary
02-07-2007, 06:09 AM
I find it very amusing that roomates come to the internet to talk. ;)

cresshead
02-07-2007, 07:57 AM
so where's the video?

...for the 95% of the rest of the world who don't watch usa tv cause they don't live there!:D

cresshead
02-07-2007, 08:02 AM
found it on youtube...:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8m9-PgWreE

Bog
02-07-2007, 02:31 PM
Ooops.

The ad's beautifully done, but it's not gonna sell cars. Disturbing and melancholy.

Peach of a shot straight through the wrong bulls-eye.

voriax
02-07-2007, 04:07 PM
Have to agree, it was a fun ad, but I always thought superbowl ads were meant to be the best of the best..
Although usually they're some lame beer commercial, or filled with bikini-clad chicks at a gas station, so I dunno why I'm surprised. Have to remember who the superbowl audience is, I guess.

Tom Wood
02-10-2007, 08:22 AM
GM is modifying and perhaps scrapping the ad because of objections by mental health groups to the suicide scene. Next, the realtors will complain about the condo-selling scene...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/02/09/AR2007020902310.html

Bog
02-10-2007, 09:13 AM
If a TV commercial is going to upset someone that deeply, then perhaps the issue is that they shouldn't be watching it at all. What would happen if they caught a news report, or a non-spaceflight episode of Galactica? They'd be dropping like flies...