PDA

View Full Version : Problems with Win2K

Hiraghm
02-19-2003, 10:36 AM
I know this isn't the appropriate forum, but the problem cropped up while using modeller, and maybe others have a similar problem...

I'm running Modeller on Win2K, and called up Explorer to create the project directories for my new project. I'll go to the parent directory, choose it, then try to open the file menu or right-click on the parent directory, and explorer crashes and burns. Sometimes it will work the first time, but then crashes the next. Rebooting doesn't help. Exiting modeller doesn't help (though I haven't tried it without loading modeller in the first place. I'll go try that now.)

This is a fairly recent phenomenon. I think it started happening after the latest Aura upgrade, but I'm not sure.

Anyone else experience this, or have suggestions to possible causes or solutions?

Tommi
02-19-2003, 02:17 PM
That's strange, because I have the same Exploder problem. Every time I run it, it makes my system crash and everything reloads. My Win2k installation is pretty old and I should reinstall everything, but I'm too lazy. This explorer phenomenon exists on my computer since the upgrade to service pack 3.
I guess that everything is a whole mess on my system.
Maybe you also should reinstall everything...

Hiraghm
02-19-2003, 03:39 PM
That might be it. Not long before I installed the Aura update, I did the Service patch 3 update. I just updated some patches again, so maybe they put a fix in this time. I hope. :(

On this machine (Win98), I'm somehow infected with popups; I even get them on my own homepage (served up via my own webserver). I noticed 3 programs running at various times that seem to cause it; Ne, Stimon, and Iexplore (I know, that's IE, but in the task list, all my web tasks have the title of the window as their name, not IExplore, so I got suspicious...) deleting these 3 tasks when they appear only seems to have the effect of eliminating popups for awhile. Just thought I'd toss that out in case anyone else noticed popups from hell. And yes, I run Norton.

Tommi
02-20-2003, 07:04 AM
The thread list of the task manager views only the executable names (*.exe, *.dll) so IEXPLORE is perfectly normal...

-wT-
02-21-2003, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by Hiraghm
On this machine (Win98), I'm somehow infected with popups; I even get them on my own homepage (served up via my own webserver). I noticed 3 programs running at various times that seem to cause it; Ne, Stimon, and Iexplore (I know, that's IE, but in the task list, all my web tasks have the title of the window as their name, not IExplore, so I got suspicious...) deleting these 3 tasks when they appear only seems to have the effect of eliminating popups for awhile. Just thought I'd toss that out in case anyone else noticed popups from hell. And yes, I run Norton.

I'll bet you 10 it's an adware issue. Download Ad-Aware here: http://www.lavasoftusa.com/support/download/

SODAPLAY
11-20-2003, 01:16 PM
I don't have such a problem. Maybe because I installed lightwave on a clean win2k. I installed service pack 2. Before installing LW.
I heard Service Pack 3 is not healthy... and secure :)

SODAPLAY
11-20-2003, 01:17 PM
LoL reply is like 1000000 old. hehe
Maybe will help someone :)

composermanII
11-20-2003, 02:05 PM
If possible I would avoid having my Lightwave machine connected to the internet. Every time you log on (or in the case of broadband-when your computer is on) you bring in mountains of trash. Some things you never see! I use a separate computer for my internet use and scan all files that I transfer to my Lightwave computer for viruses. I know this is not always an option, but you can buy an old "Kmart Special" for less than $300 and it will be fine for internet use. This will save a lot of potential grief. It has worked very well for me.

At this point you will probably need to blow the system away and start with a clean install.

Troy

gjjackson
11-22-2003, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by -wT-
I'll bet you 10€ it's an adware issue. Download Ad-Aware here: http://www.lavasoftusa.com/support/download/

I got some adware crap on my work PC once. It was 3 different companies. I found 180 Solutions was the main culprit. Even when you deleted the file a new one was created and put it in the registry to load it again. It took almost a whole day to get rid of it all. I got on 180 Solutions website and they had a leave comments section. Boy did I leave a comment. That was undoubtedly the most vulgar hateful comment they probably have ever seen. That's going to be MY policy from now on. Anytime I get a pop-under ad I look for who the company is and give 'em hell. Of course they require an email address. They're certainly not getting mine.

WizCraker
11-22-2003, 11:41 PM
It's not just lightwave that causes it, I think it is Windows in general I have XP Pro and it does the same thing randomly. Its no biggy when it does it but it does get anoying. The crash box appears saying Explorer did a General protection fault error. then bam it crashes and restarts itself.