PDA

View Full Version : Request for Help

jtoney7852
02-01-2007, 01:22 PM
Hi,
I am attempting to design a corridor from Star Trek the Next Generation. I have side and top views (such as a general sketch), and wonder what is the best way to model this thing.

Should I put this into the front background and draw lines where the wall are? Or do I make a .eps in illustrator and importat tha

AbnRanger
02-01-2007, 02:14 PM
Hi,
I am attempting to design a corridor from Star Trek the Next Generation. I have side and top views (such as a general sketch), and wonder what is the best way to model this thing.

Should I put this into the front background and draw lines where the wall are? Or do I make a .eps in illustrator and importat tha
Illustrator files generally come into play when you have already created something (in 2D) and want to take that into the 3D realm, like taking a client's logo that was previously used in print, and transfer that directly into LW, and start extruding and such.
But if you are starting from scratch, using an image for a reference, it's much quicker to just jump in and start creating your splines (or use primitives if that's what you prefer) in Lightwave...no importing needed.

jtoney7852
02-02-2007, 12:07 AM
ok so use splines or primitives?

AbnRanger
02-02-2007, 12:27 AM
It depends on how you want to model. It's your call.
If you know an object is roughly the shape of a primitive...it's much quicker to drage out a box than to do it with splines.
However, when doing custom shapes or more organic modeling, then making spline cages work well.
If you use an image in your viewport for reference, you can use either method, or both. When spline modeling, I usually just quickly lay down some points in key areas...just roughing out the shape first, and make no adjustments til I have completed the spline shape. Then you can go back and adjust the bezier handles to make necessary adjustments.

jtoney7852
02-02-2007, 03:20 PM
Very cool, i appreciate it. Now all I need to do is find where the splines tool is

jtoney7852
02-02-2007, 04:42 PM
Actually that isnt right... Are there any tutorial on how to use splines, as I havent use that before.

AbnRanger
02-05-2007, 11:39 AM
Here's a few links to get you started.
http://www.newtek.com/lightwave/tutorials/videos/index.php
http://www.newtek.com/lightwave/videos.php

Also, you have some really affordable video training available from places like:

www.kurvstudios.com
www.3dgarage.com
www.vtc.com