PDA

View Full Version : Rhino and Lightwave

lukasdesign
02-01-2007, 05:36 AM
Hi,

I'm a Rhino user and I try to integrate LW in our watchdesigning pipeline. My problem ( and why we probably have to choose Maya instead of LW) is exporting to LW out of Rhino.

ok I create the polygon mesh in rhino, that works extremly well, especially in the Rhino 4 Beta. The problems are the I have to export so many different files, mainly one lwo per material. this means that i can't try out material combinations freely. I have to decide whicjh parts are brushed or polished already in rhino...if i wanna change it: back to rhino, splitting surfs again, regrouping and converting to polymesh...

I'm wondering if there is smoother way to get this job done?

is Okino Polytrans a solution?

thanks in advance

Lukas

ColinSmith
02-01-2007, 07:12 AM
I do the "one export per surface" export from Rhino too, but then clean up the meshes and combine them into 1 lwo.

I understand completely that it is not always a nice workflow, but is there anything that is that much better? From your description of the main problem is it not much the same as having to go to modeler and selecting polys and changing surfaces?

I'll be happy if the Rhino v4 sorts out some poly meshing problems I always seem to have though.... you get the workrounds in the end, but....

daug
02-01-2007, 07:36 AM
I know very little about Rhino, but if you can export to a different 3d format, like dxf or obj, with multiple textures and layers, you could use a file translator called Accutrans 3D. It is very affordable ($20) and has a really good lightwave export: multiple layers to one file, multiple textures per file, uv, quads, etc

slackadocious
02-01-2007, 10:27 AM
I use both Rhino and LW regularly. Generally I work with industrial STL/igs models. I usually batch import the STL/IGSs, name the polysurfaces in rhino first, then export major components to individual LWO files, then reassemble in Modeler using layers and whatnot.

If you do a good job of naming your surfaces up front in rhino, you SHOULD be able to do a monolithic export to a single LWO (or whatever). then import to modeler and merge surfaces and use the polygon stats panel to select out your named surface sets, and then organize in layers accordingly.

There really are tons of ways to do this.. I use a combination of both the techniques I described. Unfortunately there is no quick'n'dirty script for my purposes, if I were a master I'd write it myself. That wont happen :) I've read a lil about polytrans, and i dont know if it'd suit your needs or not. If you own rhino already, you may just want to stick with that, since it does get the job done.

Matt
02-01-2007, 01:20 PM
IGES models just do not convert properly into polygons. Because each surface is seperate, they each get 'frozen' into polys differently, so surface edges don't always align and you end up with holes all over your model.

I use STL out of SolidWorks and then into LightWave, which works a treat. Complex curvy surfaces can have flow problems though.

If there was a coverter that could take solid / surface models and turn them into a clean quad poly mesh I'd be one happy camper!

Alas there is nothing that does this.

I've also had MAJOR issues with Rhino exporting to .LWO, when loaded into Modeler hundreds of random face normals are pointing the wrong way, despite looking fine inside Rhino, which is a nightmare to fix on complex models.

Basically I'd try every format that you can load into LW that Rhino can export and see which works best!

Matt

MicroMouse
02-01-2007, 06:20 PM
AccuTrans 3D is available at http://www.micromouse.ca/
It has online and context-sensitive help. If you have any questions email [email protected]

AccuTrans is my program.

There is no reason for not using files exported from Rhino in LightWave.

If you export as one surface per LWO, STL, etc. file, use the "File -> Multi Open" menu command in AccuTrans. All of the files can be selected and imported at the same time to reassemble the original object. Each file will be put on its own layer.

Each layer supports only one material.

If you decide one or more layers should be combined into one using the same material this can be done.

When exporting to a LWO file, you can export as multiple layers or as a single layer using multiple surfaces.

Layers can be selected for export, so you could export as several files using one layer with multiple surfaces per file and then assemble this set of files in LightWave.

Quads can be created by using the "Tools -> Triangles to Quads" menu command. Use the "Prefs->Options" menu command. Control settings for quad creation are on the "general" page. Quads can be planar or have some degree of curvature. Quad shape can go from rectangular to weird shapes.

For flipped surface normals, use the "Align -> Start / Stop" menu command to display a new group of controls. Different colors are used to show the direction of the normals.

Wayne

desegno
02-07-2007, 03:54 PM
hey lucasdesign, j'm an italian archtect with your problem!!!

the solution:
http://www.moi3d.com/
it's a 3d free program, you can use it for open the rhino file and export it to 3ds

http://www.opennurbs.com/
it's a initiative for rhino (j not use it in this moment but think thet it's a good project)

@micromouse....j download now your sw for same test...if it's good j think that j buy it!!!!!
bye

desegno
02-09-2007, 04:17 AM
@ micromouse
sorry but your software don't load rhino file.....
j'm distract and don't read all your message...
excuse but it doesn't for my problem!!!
bye

gristle
02-09-2007, 01:37 PM
IGES models just do not convert properly into polygons. Because each surface is seperate, they each get 'frozen' into polys differently, so surface edges don't always align and you end up with holes all over your model.

I've also had MAJOR issues with Rhino exporting to .LWO, when loaded into Modeler hundreds of random face normals are pointing the wrong way, despite looking fine inside Rhino, which is a nightmare to fix on complex models.

Matt

You need to join the IGES individual surfaces together into polysurfaces in Rhino then you wont have this problem. Also, run the direction command to see what way the normals are facing. If the IGES model was well modelled in the CAD package then chances are when you join the surfaces you will get a closed polysurface - the normals always point outwards on a closed polysurface.

Ztreem
02-09-2007, 02:43 PM
It was a couple of years ago I exported something from rhino, but I did the same way I do when I export from StudioTools. I just export it as an .obj or .lwo and load it in modeler select some polys of the surfaces I want and select connected and name the surface. I do so with all my surfaces then it's just to render it.